PDA

View Full Version : OT: Apple's Mobile Me

SoCalSteve
05-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Hi all,

Does anyone use this interesting piece of technology?

Just curious what you all thought of it...

Not sure if its worth $99.00 a year. I am using the 60 day free trial now. I like it, but not sure how much I will actually use it.

Thanks,

Steve

1happygirl
05-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Yeah I use it. Been with it since I bought the latest and (newest to me generation MacBook). Probably not worth it since Google Calendar and others have copied all the features and feel of the apple stuff, plus they are free. Now that I've given my email out and transferred all my contacts over, I'm stuck for a while as I don't have time to deal with giving out a new email.

A lot of times on vacation in some places the server (don't think it's Apple's fault) will give error messages and I can't send things out till I move locations (hotels).

Looking back, save your money. A lot of times too you have to repeat , @me.com when giving your email out. Peeps never heard of it.

johnnymossville
05-25-2010, 10:55 AM
There are rumors that it will be free very soon.

SoCalSteve
05-25-2010, 11:01 AM
There are rumors that it will be free very soon.

Free works! :)

jasond
05-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Here's a link to that rumor.

mobileme-free (http://www.tipb.com/2010/05/11/apples-mobileme-free/)

Pete Serotta
05-25-2010, 11:46 AM
I have used Mobile Me for three years and really like it.

rwsaunders
05-25-2010, 12:27 PM
I have used Mobile Me for three years and really like it.

Ditto what Pete says...free is nice, though.

pmac
05-25-2010, 12:38 PM
I've used it for years and find it very useful. One nice feature is that you can use it to sync Yojimbo (an app for storing all sorts of things including passwords for web sites etc) so you can keep that info up to date across multiple computers. There may be something just as good elsewhere, but I haven't spent time looking for it.

If you do get mobileme, buy it from Amazon not Apple, it's typically quite a bit cheaper.

Ray
05-25-2010, 12:44 PM
My wife tried it and had a hard time making it work for her needs. I use the Google cloud for email and calendar and contacts information - on an all Apple system these days and with a PC and Blackberry before. It works and its free and Google already knew EVERYTHING about me anyway, so why try to hide this information?

-Ray

Lucky Jack
05-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Also been using it for several years - love it. Cloud storage for docs, images and important movies, syncs contacts among your various devices, can wipe you iPhone should it get stolen, simple interface with macs and ipads for mail, multiple email addreses funnel into one account, etc.

Jeff Weir
05-25-2010, 09:16 PM
If your running an iphone, ipad and one or more apple computers, the sync feature alone makes it worth the cost. Change data any of the devices and the others update automatically.

Apple just released mobileme "beta" and it has a much nicer interface than the previous version.

Climb01742
05-26-2010, 04:52 AM
how does the storage feature for docs work? thanks.

SoCalSteve
05-26-2010, 08:30 AM
how does the storage feature for docs work? thanks.

IDisk is a "cloud" storage feature that is a part of Mobile Me. You can upload anything you want to it (up to 20 gig ) and then you (or your friends) have access to it from anywhere (there is Internet).

I believe you can pay more $$$ and get more gigs of storage as well.

Jeff Weir
05-26-2010, 05:43 PM
IDisk is a "cloud" storage feature that is a part of Mobile Me. You can upload anything you want to it (up to 20 gig ) and then you (or your friends) have access to it from anywhere (there is Internet).

I believe you can pay more $$$ and get more gigs of storage as well.

If you want friends to access your idisk storage I'm pretty sure they would need your password.

GuyGadois
05-26-2010, 05:59 PM
I use Mobile Me ahave been doing so for several years. It makes a TON of sense if you have an iPhone. To have everything sync'd is great. There are a number of ways to get the same service for free but usually you have to piece together a number of smaller solutions and it won't work as smoothly. I tried it and went back to paying for MobileMe. Also, the service keeps getting better and better with more and more features for iPone users.

BTW, don't pay $99. Buy it from Amazon for $70 with no tax.

Guy