PDA

View Full Version : WTB (Light) Touring Bike ~$900

Satellite
05-24-2010, 04:53 PM
It isn't for me. I have a friend at work that wants to commute to work and he is looking for a bike. He wants to be able to do light touring so it needs racks. I have convinced him to buy used because the used market has some good values right now (new is also good). His budget high-end is $1,500 for everything including clothing, shoes, helmet and computer. He is thinking around $900 for the bike, could go more if the bags are included. He will be needing a 56-58 cm frame.

I can't really give him too much advice, since I ride Serotta's, Moots and Ibis frames and none of mine are oriented toward touring bikes.

I am putting out feelers to see if any forum members have something to fit the bill. If someone sees a possible Craigslist add that would fit the bill please let me know. We live in Colorado Springs, Colorado so hopefully something kind of close.

Thanks for any help,

Satellite

Ken Robb
05-24-2010, 04:56 PM
We can't help much without knowing his size. :)

Satellite
05-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Sorry tried to stop the posting to add the size but I ended up with a double post. 56-58cm.

eddief
05-24-2010, 05:23 PM
$1090 and today you could have 10% off of that.

sorta the entire enchilada, ready to roll.

The Fuji Touring 1.0 road bike features Fuji Elios 2 custom butted chromoly frame and fork for a smooth and resilient ride--for the long haul or a quick run to the grocery store
Shimano Tiagra 27-speed drivetrain with Shimano Sora Hollowtech cranks and a Deore rear derailleur offer plenty of gears for the hills and flats
Shimano Tiagra STI levers with reach adjust give you easy access to shifting and braking
Fuji aluminum handlebar, stem and seatpost supply core-level strength, style and performance
Top mounted brake levers allow you to ride in comfort with your hands on top of the handlebars
Tektro Oryx linear-pull brakes for excellent stopping power
Vittoria- Adventure Touring tires provide excellent grip in all weather conditions
Fuji double wall aluminum rims with 36H sealed hubs for strong and durable performance
Rear rack to tote your books, groceries or all your extra gear

EddieBirdsell
05-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Check out Kona, Salsa, and Surly offerings. Not sure who carries these in CS.

All have a touring-oriented frames available new at around that $900-1000 price point, if not less.

dave thompson
05-25-2010, 10:24 AM
If you've got an REI near you, they carry a pretty good line of touring/commuter bikes too.

0nelove
06-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Don't forget the Surly Cross-Check or Long Haul Trucker complete.

Frankwurst
06-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Don't forget the Surly Cross-Check or Long Haul Trucker complete.

LHT's are a very nice bike for the money. My son has one and I was very impressed with the bounce for the buck. :beer:

BryanE
06-23-2010, 08:08 PM
http://mclaincycle.com/classifieds/previewad.cfm?adid=283&subcatid=11&catid=3

Is 95 too old?750 bucks for supossed mint seems a good price.
It's from my LBS classifieds.
Bryan

sonatageek
06-24-2010, 05:16 AM
The Bikesdirect Windsor Tourist is the same bike as the Fuji Tourist, although it is offered in less sizes. It is $600 shipped. I had a Fuji Tourist for a few months last year, and really liked the bike, but had trouble with the wheels and decided to return the bike to Performance for a refund. That was after the warranty replaced wheels had a problem.

Many others have done lots and lots of miles on the Fuji (Windsor) with no issues, so it may have just been the luck of the draw for me.

Another solid choice would be the Cannondale T2.

RonW87
06-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Case closed!

http://brucegordoncycles.blogspot.com/2010_01_01_archive.html