PDA

View Full Version : Wheel build question

slowandsteady
05-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Why is reusing spokes in a new wheel build frowned upon? Even if they are in good condition? (specifically shimano's version of the c-xray thin bladed spoke that came with my Shimano DA 7800 wheelset...)

As you can tell I know very little about wheelbuilding

gone
05-24-2010, 06:15 PM
I've only built wheels with new spokes so I'm only speculating here but reasons that I wouldn't do it:

Spokes is cheap. Even expensive spokes is cheap given the overall cost of the wheel.
Unless the wheel is new, the spokes have seen use, hit potholes, stretched, flexed, etc.
If the wheel is new and you're rebuilding it then it must have taken a good whack and the spokes are stretched, flexed, etc.
It takes time to build a wheel, why not do it right?

thwart
05-24-2010, 06:21 PM
I've done it, when replacing a rim... although that's not really building up a new wheel. I think the theory is that if you're taking the trouble to build up a new wheel, why re-use spokes... the least expensive component of the wheel.

If one of the drive-side ones let go you may be stranded 30 miles from home. And... it would likely force you to think seriously about re-doing that whole side of the wheel so it didn't happen again. You'd never really trust that wheel again until you did.

I've heard those c-xray spokes are dirt cheap... :rolleyes:

michael white
05-24-2010, 07:53 PM
I have read wheelbuilders talk about re-using spokes. . .

all I know is that the one time I reused spokes, then every time I used to climb a little mountain out on the west coast where I used to live, almost every time I'd break one of those suckers. I don't think it's worth it.

Peter P.
05-24-2010, 09:31 PM
The spoke elbows will take a "set" when a wheel is built. If you choose to reuse them, they may be bent again when the new wheel is tensioned. Flexing the spoke so it takes a set in anything but it's original position (which would be no second bend at all) fatigues the spoke, leading to shorter life.

However, since front wheels don't see the pedaling forces that rear wheels do, they're much more likely to endure a swap from an old to a new wheel build.

Probably the most common reason for not reusing spokes is more than likely you'll be using different components and the resulting spoke length will be different. Nothing pisses a wheelbuilder off more than discovering the spokes their reusing are the wrong length, and having to unlace a wheel and try again. I speak from experience.

oldpotatoe
05-25-2010, 07:57 AM
Why is reusing spokes in a new wheel build frowned upon? Even if they are in good condition? (specifically shimano's version of the c-xray thin bladed spoke that came with my Shimano DA 7800 wheelset...)

As you can tell I know very little about wheelbuilding

I don't frown on it, I reuse spokes all the time. If the initial build was correct, then there is no reason to NOT reuse the spokes. Rims wear out, get deformed, get dented, etc, spokes can be reused.

When spokes break it is because of a RIM problem, deformed, causing low tension at that point. NOT a spoke problem. I hear people wanting to replace all the spokes of a wheel when they break spokes, they need to replace the rim, not the spokes.

sg8357
05-25-2010, 08:26 AM
The Ur-curmudgeon Jobst Brandt reuses spokes.

I reuse spokes, same hub, new rim of the same type as the old, rims taped
together so the spokes are in the same position as the old build, the spokes
are fine, they don't break. Caveat, I build RBWs, really boring wheels,
32 to 40 spokes, brass, double butted spokes.

DfCas
05-26-2010, 06:44 PM
I reuse also. If I am not simply lacing on a new rim, I do keep them in the same position they were in before. R or L, inbound or outbound. I've never had a used spoke break. I consider used spokes to be a known, good part.

Bob Loblaw
05-26-2010, 08:14 PM
If you're an experienced wheel builder, I think it makes sense to re-use spokes in certain situations. I've done it on several 32 spoke wheels. The results were mixed, but on the occasions the wheel went bad, I always made it home and it was easy enough to order some new spokes and rebuild it.

If it's for a low spoke count wheel, I'd go new. Breaking a spoke or two on a 20 spoke wheel can be a much bigger problem than on a 32 spoke wheel.

My $.02

BL