PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Ti test ride - failed to get out the door

PanTerra
03-30-2005, 05:09 PM
Just about every time I go into my LBS I browse the consignment racks and look for anything I just can't pass up. That is how I found my Tommasini Tecno. They have had this Colorado Ti sitting there for months, I had thought that it was way too big for me. I straddled it today and it had the same stand over height as my CSi. Hmm, maybe I should test ride it. Why not, right. It is painted just the way I would do a Ti bike leaving brushed Ti on the bottom bracket, chain stays, most of the seat stays and bottom part of the seat and bottom tubes. The bike is equiped with older Ksyriums SLs. So far so good. However, the component group is ALL Mavic. I always liked the Mavic cranks, but this group also includes the all electronic shifting. OK that's interesting, they don't make it anymore (that's telling) so I leave to change into my kit and shoes to test ride it. The shop owner told me to talk to one of the mechanics about the system. He starts telling me of all the interference problems in calibrating and even operating it and it picking up any strong EMFs like riding under a high tension power lines, that it just might start freakingout and miss shifting. Well I thought I would test ride it anyway to feel Ti, since I have never ridden Ti before. So before putting pedals on, they noticed that the batteries were dead and it would not shift. :crap: So you are telling me that if I am riding out in the country, the batteries die, I can no longer shift? What the...! I'll get the serial # off of it and see what the geometry is and how close it is to stock which suits me well.

So does anyone have any experience with this Mavic stuff?

weisan
03-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Go ask Dave Kirk, he is planning to use one of those on his new bike. Anything that runs on a bike should have at least a "manual override" mode. That's just my thinking. :D

BumbleBeeDave
03-30-2005, 05:48 PM
. . . to bring my RC car remote along and shift for you--whether you want it or not! ;)

BBDave

Jeff N.
03-30-2005, 05:59 PM
The Mektronic stuff was removed from the market for all those reasons and more. Long live mechanical shifting! Jeff N.