PDA

View Full Version : all things both great and small

pbbob
05-24-2010, 08:30 AM
31 miles into a 90 mile ride on Saturday I passed something odd looking in the street. I turned around and went back to see what it was. A turtle had fallen off an 8" curb and landed on his back. I picked him up and turned him over.
Turtle, turtle are you all right?
He poked his head out and made a few noises. This was a good thing because I don't know the rest of that algorithm.
I walked through some tall itchy looking weeds, across a ditch and placed him in more appropriate turtle territory. He soon started to scurry away.
I climbed up and out and continued on my ride.

William
05-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Good on ya!! :beer:

Always a karma builder.

William

Louis
05-24-2010, 08:49 AM
They seem to be out in force around here also. On Saturday I stopped two times to help turtles cross the road. What really gets them is that they start across then get scared by a car and freeze. They end up spending much more time at risk than if they just kept going...

rugbysecondrow
05-24-2010, 08:52 AM
I was able to particpate in a similar act of kindness this Sunday. She was 5'4", blond, 125 pounds, nicely apportioned and had a flat tire. Of course, I was obliged to help because I didn't want her to get grease on her new form-fitting bike shorts and top. My good deed was rewarded when she asked if I would give her mountain biking lessons, but being a married man I gave a few verbal (not oral) recommendations for how she could improve.

It really does feel good to do right by all things, great or small. :beer:

William
05-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Good on ya!! :beer:

Always an Ego puffer!! :D

William

johnnymossville
05-24-2010, 09:04 AM
I was able to particpate in a similar act of kindness this Sunday. She was 5'4", blond, 125 pounds, nicely apportioned and had a flat tire. Of course, I was obliged to help because I didn't want her to get grease on her new form-fitting bike shorts and top. My good deed was rewarded when she asked if I would give her mountain biking lessons, but being a married man I gave a few verbal (not oral) recommendations for how she could improve.

Hey, just because you're married doesn't mean,....

you coulda asked your wife for permission. :D

Kevan
05-24-2010, 09:05 AM
he/she showed absolutely no appreciation for me picking it up by the tail and getting it across the busy road it was traversing. Honestly...with all the hissing and pissing, where was the thanks?

Typical NYer.

slowandsteady
05-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Turtle, turtle are you all right?

OMG - coffee coming out my nose!!!

MattTuck
05-24-2010, 09:52 AM

Dear Penthouse,

I can't believe this happened to me! I was giving this girl mountain bike lessons...

MattTuck
05-24-2010, 09:58 AM
To all folks who help animals across the road: thanks.

As our (humans) habitat continues to encroach on the natural habitats of other animals, opportunities for these encounters will become all the more common. I've heard a lot of people say, "Don't help wild animals, let nature sort it out." Well, nature did sort it out with millions of years of evolution to give (in the case of turtles) some pretty bomb proof protection against hazards. It just so happens that they haven't had time yet to adapt to 2,000 pound cars barreling down the road at 45 mph.

Anyway, my pet peeve. Thanks for helping out animals. Double thanks if you were wearing road shoes, and had to walk like a duck.

rwsaunders
05-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Who doesn't like turtles or monkeys?

Karin Kirk
05-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Nice going pbbob!
You had me at "turtle, turtle are you alright?" Very cute! :)

Dekonick
05-24-2010, 03:58 PM

What!?! I missed it!

Bud_E
05-24-2010, 04:15 PM
I was able to particpate in a similar act of kindness this Sunday. She was 5'4", blond, 125 pounds, ...:

There's a joke in there somewhere about landing on your back.

steelrider
05-24-2010, 10:24 PM
There's an old saying, you can work up an appetite wherever you wish, just be sure to eat at home.

soulspinner
05-25-2010, 06:03 AM
There's a joke in there somewhere about landing on your back.

He brought her out of her shell...

William
05-25-2010, 06:12 AM
He brought her out of her shell...

Wouldn't that be the other way around? ;) :D

William