PDA

View Full Version : today's giro: has anyone ridden zoncolan?

Climb01742
05-23-2010, 08:50 AM
when the pro's ride a 34-29 and when gilberto says its easiest slopes are harder than anything in the tour, you figure it must be epic. any personal experiences??

rnhood
05-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Haven't been over seas riding but Salt Pond mountain, which is the final climb at next week's Mountains of Misery event, is 5km at 11.9% average grade. Zoncolon is basically twice that length, being 10.1km at 11.9% average grade.

Both occur at the end of the ride. Salt Pond is tough. I don't know that I could make 10km at this grade at the end of the ride. I used a compact with a 12-27 cassette last year and, will do the same this year. Some riders are putting "XT" rear derailleurs on with the Sram 11-32 cassette. I might do this next year.

jlwdm
05-23-2010, 05:25 PM
The length and average grade of Zoncolan do not make it special - it is the 22% grades. Lots of compact rings.

Jeff

1centaur
05-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Doesn't really count, but I used the Elite RealPower instead of the Computrainer this winter because it has video courses, mostly Italian because Elite is Italian. I used it to climb lots of Giro and TdF landmark climbs. Zoncolan was the ONLY one that I stopped half way up and said, "this is ridiculous." It's amazing the way one guts up a steep pitch, goes around a corner, looks up and it just keeps going. Relentless.

The good thing about the RealPower is that you can play the video courses at the speed they were recorded while you ride another course, such as a flat one. The Zoncolan is so scenic and the tunnels such a visual surprise that I liked to use that video when I was warming up.

93legendti
05-23-2010, 08:10 PM
The pros used 34-29. I can't imagine what a mere mortal would need on that climb.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/05/road/gearing-for-monte-zoncolan_118163

RADaines
05-23-2010, 08:54 PM
I thought that this was a good read.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=8187

Ahneida Ride
05-23-2010, 11:24 PM
My LBS guru went up the Mt. Washington Climb in 30-29.

took the masters title in his class.

bikemoore
05-24-2010, 12:56 AM
I rode over the Zoncolan on a motorcycle when I was stationed at a nearby US Air Force base (Aviano). My relationship between motorcycling and bicycling in Italy was to first explore and enjoy the mountains via motorcycle and then return with a bicycle at a later date once I knew good routes without having to carry a map. When I crossed the Zoncolan, I scratched it off of my list for passes to bicycle. I knew it was just too much.....maybe with a MTB, but road biking with a MTB didn't really interest me. I crossed it several years before the Giro first used it and knew the riders were in for a beast when they announced its inclusion. Also, road surface in the tunnels on the west side was really bad when I rode it. They have greatly improved the surface since then.

BTW....if anyone is ever looking to go to Italy to bicycle, the Friuli region of far northeast Italy where today's stage took place is a fantastic choice for destinations. Far less crowded than the more famous passes further west and easily as beautiful as any place in Italy. I rode all over Italy in my 4.5 years in Aviano and the eastern Dolomites of Friuli were by far my favorite. Look into Tolmezzo or Gemona for a bases to start.

Random
05-24-2010, 09:22 AM
I climbed it in 2007 just before the Giro stage. I am a pretty good climber normally. For this one I was suited up with a triple. Rode some 70 miles to the base and then up. It was Hell. Relentless. No place to get your legs back if you push too far. To add to the pain the authorities were trying to stop me and check my credentials every kilometer or two. I kept pulling away from them until I was finally forced to get off the bike and show them my badge. The grade at that point was 20%+ and I could not coast down to re-engage and turn back up because the crowds were too thick. I had to walk the bike the better part of a K before it flattened out to 15% or so and I could remount. Ugh.

I will always remember that Mountain.