PDA

View Full Version : Double Size Chariot/Carrier Question..

oldguy00
05-23-2010, 07:09 AM
I currently have the single Chariot Cougar, but want to upgrade to a double. I was looking at a Mountain Equipment Coop (MEC) brand, as it is much cheaper than the Chariot double ($650).
Anyway, my question is, how do you fit these in the back of a car?? I have a Ford Edge, so have a decent amount of room, but I need one of the back seats up for my 2.5 year old son's car seat.
I know the front wheel and/or bike arms come off these, just like the single, but otherwise, do they collapse further??

Also, any tips or tricks to keeping your kids happy in them for more than 20 minutes? Mine seems to get bored and wants out, or to go home. I put toys, food, books, etc in there.
Was thinking of getting a cheap portable DVD player to give him!! Help... :crap:

Dekonick
05-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Find a destination they look forward to. I go to the airport and we watch planes land. There used to be a snow cone place on my trip - that also worked. Make it something they don't get except when cycling...

An hour is about the limit unless they fall asleep... (my kids call our chariot the sleeping car...)

billrick
05-23-2010, 09:30 AM
I'm lucky to have the C&O Canal to ride with the kid. When we first started riding, we stopped once every 20 minutes to snack and throw rocks in the water. Gradually we built up to one stop an hour. Also, my boy will sleep for one hour or more in our Chariot Sidecar.

Please report back on your double. My youngest is turning one y.o. soon and I'm in the market, too.

93legendti
05-24-2010, 11:18 AM
I currently have the single Chariot Cougar, but want to upgrade to a double. I was looking at a Mountain Equipment Coop (MEC) brand, as it is much cheaper than the Chariot double ($650).
Anyway, my question is, how do you fit these in the back of a car?? I have a Ford Edge, so have a decent amount of room, but I need one of the back seats up for my 2.5 year old son's car seat.
I know the front wheel and/or bike arms come off these, just like the single, but otherwise, do they collapse further??

Also, any tips or tricks to keeping your kids happy in them for more than 20 minutes? Mine seems to get bored and wants out, or to go home. I put toys, food, books, etc in there.
Was thinking of getting a cheap portable DVD player to give him!! Help... :crap:
We have a Burly-that folds flat with the release of 1 cotter pin.

Have a destination-ice cream, the park, the beach, grandparents' house, a local loop with lots of animals...that helps with my kids. My kids also like a game of "I Spy". My kids are into packs of cards and gum now, if I had to, I would incentivize them with a trip to the store before the ride started.

When my son was 2 1/2, he would fall asleep in the trailer-that was great. NOW, if he falls alseep it's not good-because he will stay up till 10:00pm and he's only 4 yrs old.