PDA

View Full Version : Fess UP AhneidaRide-F3 Progress with Frm

Smiley
05-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Yes, its time to unveil your new speed secret. Come clean like Floyd just did, it will cleanse your soul :)

palincss
05-22-2010, 03:01 PM
He's dosing himself with FRN.

Louis
05-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Testosterone-impregnated bar tape.

Ahneida Ride
05-23-2010, 11:45 AM
ok ok I'll confess up ....

I replaced my 2002 F1 fork with an new custom built F3 fork ...
My bike is a Legend Ti Rapid Tour.

Smiley has been after me for 2 years to upgrade..
Finally did it ...

It was a smart move. The F1 is a great fork. The F3 is just that much
nicer .....

F3 just tracks better, bike is quick steering but not twitchy, and the F3
just offer more road feedback. I installed a 10.5 F3. 1 and 1/8 steer-er.

Was it worth the non federal non reserve non redeemable notes?
Sure was. Definitely worth the private corporation shopping coupons. :D

No that long ago So Cal Steve replaced a F1 with a F3 on his Hors Cat.
Do search for his review .... The F3 transformed the HC into a new bike.

I agree with Steve ....

Mr. Lopez knows what he is doing. Sure can build nice forks.
5 flaming bananas for Mike Lopez ...
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Thanks Smiley .... I owe ya .... (and Pete and Kelly)

Smiley
05-23-2010, 12:41 PM
ok ok I'll confess up ....

I replaced my 2002 F1 fork with an new custom built F3 fork ...
My bike is a Legend Ti Rapid Tour.

Smiley has been after me for 2 years to upgrade..
Finally did it ...

It was a smart move. The F1 is a great fork. The F3 is just that much
nicer .....

F3 just tracks better, bike is quick steering but not twitchy, and the F3
just offer more road feedback. I installed a 10.5 F3. 1 and 1/8 steer-er.

Was it worth the non federal non reserve non redeemable notes?
Sure was. Definitely worth the private corporation shopping coupons. :D

No that long ago So Cal Steve replaced a F1 with a F3 on his Hors Cat.
Do search for his review .... The F3 transformed the HC into a new bike.

I agree with Steve ....

Mr. Lopez knows what he is doing. Sure can build nice forks.
5 flaming bananas for Mike Lopez ...
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Thanks Smiley .... I owe ya .... (and Pete and Kelly)

Pete, Can we pin this note, I think it needs a thread of its own and yet more proof that Serotta knows what its doing in the field of Carbone :)

Hey Ride Man, I TOLD YOU SO :)

now u need some of that Bedford Magic :banana:

palincss
05-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Did the geometry change?

Ahneida Ride
05-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Did the geometry change?

I'll check with Kelly, but I don't think so .... fork has same rake ...

Yea ... Serotta knows a thing or two about carbon ...

The F3 just makes a great bike that much better.
Subtle, but highly perceptible nuances.

I have to wonder why many manufactures just don't use Serotta forks
as OEM equipment. Kelly does. That says something right there.

Smiley
05-23-2010, 03:54 PM
I'll check with Kelly, but I don't think so .... fork has same rake ...

Yea ... Serotta knows a thing or two about carbon ...

The F3 just makes a great bike that much better.
Subtle, but highly perceptible nuances.

I have to wonder why many manufactures just don't use Serotta forks
as OEM equipment. Kelly does. That says something right there.

Actually the fork spans are different the F1 being 365 and the F3 being 372 mm, hence the HTA is altered a bit relaxing it and hence making the trail a bit longer. This why you feel it drives straighter yet nobody but the guys at Reynolds could quatify it any other way when I made my switches from the F1's to OP. Anyway I hope you enjoy the rebrith of your Legend Mr Ride :)

Ahneida Ride
05-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Just came back from a 10 mile ride ...

Let me express this succinctly...

The F1 feels good ... real good ..

The F3 feels correct.

Smiley was right !!! :D

Smiley
05-23-2010, 09:10 PM
I'll say this and u all can take it to the bank, F3 or S3 fork 1 inch or 1 1/8 inch BEST fork on the market right now. Why other frame builders are not using it I dunno no except one smart guy knows who makes the best fork on the market and his name is familiar to most here and yeah is using it.
Grab one throw it in your parts bin for that rainy day :) Or better yet replace that Ouzo or that Alpha or Kensis fork etc that your using now. It makes that much difference.

How long have I told Ray Man to swap out his heavy outdated F1 fork :)

palincss
05-23-2010, 09:29 PM
In what ways are the two forks different, and what do you feel is responsible for the improvement Ray has noted, other than the increase in trail and decrease in head angle?

BTW, Ray - has there been any change in side wind sensitivity with the change in geometry?

Ahneida Ride
05-23-2010, 10:22 PM
In what ways are the two forks different, and what do you feel is responsible for the improvement Ray has noted, other than the increase in trail and decrease in head angle?

BTW, Ray - has there been any change in side wind sensitivity with the change in geometry?

no ... I as not experienced any yet ....

but our relationship is in the nascent stage.

It did not even take me 1 second of riding to convince me the F3 was
a superior option. felt right from ground zero.

I am kinda imperious to wind .... not much moves me.

I loved the F1... so you can imagine that the standard is set real high.
The F3 delivers.

---------------

I also have a attitude when testing new chit .... I start out with the
hypothesis .... it's all market hype. show me. and show me a
demonstrative improvement.

I gotta admit ... I thought the Ottrott, Meivici, Csi, were just marketing
BS. Then I demoed the bikes. Serious change in attitude.

Serotta makes some nice stuff.

palincss
05-24-2010, 06:20 AM

William
05-24-2010, 06:42 AM
Ray,

Can I sharpen the ends?

If I wrap the steerer in HandleBra, how will it stand up to impacts? Are stains easily removed? I may have to try one out...I might even ride it. ;)

William

mnoble485
05-24-2010, 08:25 AM
I have been debating this move. My CDA was designed for a rake of 43. It has a 40 on it now. Time for an F3 with a 43 rake? My friend ericspin just called and said get my credit card out!

Will I notice a change going to a 43?

Mike

Smiley
05-24-2010, 09:16 AM
I have been debating this move. My CDA was designed for a rake of 43. It has a 40 on it now. Time for an F3 with a 43 rake? My friend ericspin just called and said get my credit card out!

Will I notice a change going to a 43?

Mike

depending on the HTA, if it was a Serotta designed frame at 73 HTA the trail should be 5.9 with a 43 mm rake fork, if you shortened the rake you lengthened the trail so BEFORE you pull the trigger ask yourself if you want the front end to be a tad faster. Why was the rake swapped out to a 40 mm? Serotta had 41 mm rake forks in the F3 but I think they opted to only make 43, 47 and 52 mm rake forks now

mnoble485
05-24-2010, 10:29 AM
The build sheet (by K. Bedford) shows a frame built with a HTA of 73 and a Ouzo Pro fork with a 43mm rake. At some point the original owner replaced the Ouzo with an F3 fork with a 40mm rake. I have been told that a return to a 43 mm rake will increase trail. I think for my type of riding (no racing or crits) this would be a good thing.

Thoughts?

PS I really like the "feel" of the Serotta fork.

Mike

Ahneida Ride
05-24-2010, 11:07 AM
The build sheet (by K. Bedford) shows a frame built with a HTA of 73 and a Ouzo Pro fork with a 43mm rake. At some point the original owner replaced the Ouzo with an F3 fork with a 40mm rake. I have been told that a return to a 43 mm rake will increase trail. I think for my type of riding (no racing or crits) this would be a good thing.

Thoughts?

PS I really like the "feel" of the Serotta fork.

Mike

I'll try to get Kelly to chime in here. ;)

Lance Armstrong
05-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Kelly builds a wonderful bike and Ray has given me some Frns :)

palincss
05-24-2010, 04:51 PM

Thoughts?

I think you've been misled. Increasing fork offset will decrease trail, all else remaining equal.

Brian Smith
05-24-2010, 07:10 PM
A contemporary frame built around either one of those forks would make more of a change than the fork by itself.
For my money, sticking a 7mm longer fork into a frame designed for the F1 length should be more about trying to remain safe at Ahneida's size and mass than about intentionally changing the feel of the bike.
Hopefully the increased slow speed wheel flop is adequately made up for by the knowledge that the fork now on the bike was designed this decade and built this year. Graphite forks have improved more in the past decade than have steel forks, so a change was probably worthwhile, but I'm not one to poo-poo the resulting design change of the total bicycle. In the absence of intentions to change handling characteristics, a fork with more than 43mm of offset would have been my choice. The fact is that you can't find a 365mm carbon fork of repute to use as a substitute.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though, and the F3 is a better fork, so if you like it better, then enjoy it!

PaulE
05-25-2010, 02:48 PM
yet more proof that Serotta knows what its doing in the field of Carbone :)

I'm gonna start building up a little something in Carbone with the S-3 fork for myself next week.

Smiley
05-25-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm gonna start building up a little something in Carbone with the S-3 fork for myself next week.
Pete has what Three carbone examples and he likes them alot :) I hope u enjoy your foray in plastique :)

Pete Serotta
05-25-2010, 03:10 PM

Want ride report OR I drink that bottle of YOUR red that is sitting in my cooler with me close by!!! :beer:

PaulE
05-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Want ride report OR I drink that bottle of YOUR red that is sitting in my cooler with me close by!!! :beer:

You conveniently forgot to bring me that bottle on your last trip up here! I'm going to hold your borrowed seat and post hostage till I get it!

Handlebars and stem should arrive on Friday, but I don't think I'll be able to start building it until after Memorial Day. I'll post a ride report, promise!