PDA

View Full Version : Calling on forum DC area experts

weisan
05-22-2010, 06:18 AM
Any pals living in the DC area? Looks like we will be taking a road trip for the first time in like years this coming Monday from St. Louis to DC to see the national monuments. The plan is to stop somewhere in between before we continue into DC on Tuesday. Any suggestion where might be a good stopover point?
Right now, we are planning to spend two or three days in DC, if you were to plan the itinerary, what are the spots you would recommend that we hit first? We are a homeschooling family with five kids ranging from 12 yrs-old to 20months-old if that helps with putting things in context. Also, any suggestion where we might find relatively affordable yet convenient accommodation in DC? And btw, I will be bringing the bike, Lifelover-pal and I are planning to meet up and ride when we roll into town in Virginia Beach sometime later in the week, any forum pals interested in joining us, please let me know.

Thanks for the help, pals!

rugbysecondrow
05-22-2010, 06:28 AM
Any pals living in the DC area? Looks like we will be taking a road trip for the first time in like years this coming Monday from St. Louis to DC to see the national monuments. The plan is to stop somewhere in between before we continue into DC on Tuesday. Any suggestion where might be a good stopover point?
Right now, we are planning to spend two or three days in DC, if you were to plan the itinerary, what are the spots you would recommend that we hit first? We are a homeschooling family with five kids ranging from 12 yrs-old to 20months-old if that is helpful with the context. Also, any suggestion where we might find relatively affordable yet convenient accommodation in DC? And btw, I will be bringing the bike, Lifelover-pal and I are planning to meet up and ride when we roll into town in Virginia Beach sometime later in the week, any forum pals interested in joining us, please let me know.

Thanks for the help, pals!

I imagine you will be taking 64 east from STL? If that is the case, I would stop through Louisville and go to the Louisville Slugger Museum. Kids and adults both like it and it won't derail you too much. It is about 3.5 hours from STL, so maybe not far enough for an ovenight stop.

If you are taking 70 east, then I would stop at the Flight Museum in Dayton, located at Wright Patterson Air Force Base (my old stomping ground). There is also a place about an hour from Dayton (on the route) (http://www.fortrapids.com/) near Columbus, OH that has an indoor waterpark at the hotel, so a nice place to unwind and at least let the kids burn off some energy.

As for staying in the DC area, I would probably say to stay outside of DC on the Maryland side as the hotels are cheaper. You will pay an arm and a leg to have a room in the city, but I would just stay outside the city and take either the train or the metro in for the sightseeing.

As for riding, I would be down for an evening ride while you are here. I actually work in DC near Union Station, so I can make a few other recommendations or answer questions you might have.

Do you already have accomodations at Virginia Beach?

Paul

weisan
05-22-2010, 06:38 AM
Paul-pal, thanks for chiming in, I sent you a PM so we can chat offline. Yes, we have a friend who is on vacation and has an empty apartment in Virginia Beach, I am not sure exactly where, but i will find out before we leave. :D

maximus
05-22-2010, 07:00 AM
Few spots to hit while in town:

Gravelly Point (super easy bike ride from DC - watch planes decend to land at national only a few hundred feet above your head - awesome)

Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History (has great new oceans and human origins exhibits)

Pizzaria Paradiso in Georgetown (great for the kids - and even better if you are a craft beer lover like myself)

Spy Museum (fun for the kids)

Air & Space Museum in Dulles (the one on the Mall is fine, but has NOTHING on the massive experience down the road. it has a spaceshuttle - enough said!)

Mt. Vernon/Old Town Alexandria (easy if you are feeling adventurous on your bike and want to grab some food/wife wants to do some window shopping - nice area)

Enjoy your stay!

weisan
05-22-2010, 07:53 AM
max-pal, I LOVE all your suggestions.

Man, if we keep at this pace, we have to be at DC for at least a week! :D

djg
05-22-2010, 07:59 AM
Air & Space -- Dulles is bigger but the mall's still cool.
Smithsonian Natural History -- some nice kid-specific stuff

Are people interested in Art? If you're on the mall, you have the two wings of the National Gallery, as well as the Hirshhorn.

For lodging, really, I'd hit the computer and see what deals might pop up -- downtown hotels are expensive (not NY expensive, but expensive nonetheless), but sometimes steep discounts pop up. Things generally are cheaper in Virginia, and you can get easy metro access to downtown and the mall from the Rosslyn, Ballston, and Crystal City areas of Arlington.

Smiley
05-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Aside from the obvious which is visiting the monuments all of them, I'd add the Holucast museum in the mix too, your home schooling your kids and this is a good teaching exeriance.
Later take the family by car to Washingtons home in Mt Vernon and for me no better place to also visit than Annapolis MD, get on the academy grounds and take a stroll, its your tax money at work :)

Ken Robb
05-22-2010, 09:44 AM
For hotels try Priceline's name your price program. I got a 4 star hotel room in Crystal City last Summer for $50!!!! a night. Don't forget to check if free parking is included.

Besides all the other good suggestions I think your family would enjoy the National Cathedral. There was a wedding going on when Leslie and I were there so we got to hear the organ. Since she teaches that instrument it was a special treat.

I would take at least one day enroute to VB to see Williamsburg, jamestown, Yorktown where you can see Geo. Washington's campaign tent from The Revolution.

mschol17
05-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Aside from the obvious which is visiting the monuments all of them, I'd add the Holucast museum in the mix too, your home schooling your kids and this is a good teaching exeriance.
Later take the family by car to Washingtons home in Mt Vernon and for me no better place to also visit than Annapolis MD, get on the academy grounds and take a stroll, its your tax money at work :)

Holocaust museum for 20 month old - 12 year old... ?

djg
05-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Holocaust museum for 20 month old - 12 year old... ?

I dunno -- it seems to me that 20 months may be too old to be oblivious but way too young for the exhibits (even recognizing that some of the more graphic things are screened off a bit); 12 would be appropriate (depending on the parents' judgment) I helped chaperone a group of 12 year-old kids this spring and it was quite a bit for them but they were sufficiently mature for it.

palincss
05-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Basically, it's all right there on the Mall or just around the corner. Capitol at one end, Washington Monument at the other, enough museums to keep you fully occupied for longer than you'll be in town on the north and south sides.

Bring a bike and you can do one really nice nighttime ride visiting all the monuments and such.

weisan
05-23-2010, 05:37 AM
Thank you so much for all the contributions! Looks like we are going to go straight to DC first before driving down to Virginia Beach. We spent the whole day yesterday cleaning house and prepping the vehicle etc followed by a graduation party in the evening, I haven't had the chance to sit down and process all this information and plan for the trip, so every help you guys are offering here is valuable to me, the ever-last-minute-road-trip-planner. A few weeks ago, Lifelover pal PM'ed me with a bunch of suggestions on things to do in Virginia Beach but at that time, we were only planning to stay for like 2-3 days, looks like now we will be there for at least 5 days to a week, so any further suggestion is welcome. We will be staying at our friend's apartment so accommodation at VB is taken care. I am still trying to figure out a place to stay in DC - so far, what I have gathered from here is that it costs a bomb to stay downtown so we should find somewhere outside of DC that is reachable by way of train or metro. Again, we have a family with five kids, it's not easy to find a big place to fit everyone but we have all adapted to the lesser living conditions by packing everyone into a normal two-beds hotel room. Daddy usually sacrifices by either sleeping on the couch if they have one or on the floor. It's no biggie for me ;)

I will be bringing my Redline cross bike, it's more versatile with 32mm pasela tires and full fenders. Lifelover and rugbysecondrow have been talking offline about hooking up for a ride or two, if anyone else would like to join us, feel free to PM me.

So far, a summary of suggestions mentioned already:

Stopover options between St Louis to DC/Virginia Beach area:

Louisville Slugger Museum at Louisville
Flight Museum in Dayton, located at Wright Patterson Air Force Base

Accommodation options in DC:
stay outside of DC on the Maryland side

Things generally are cheaper in Virginia, and you can get easy metro access to downtown and the mall from the Rosslyn, Ballston, and Crystal City areas of Arlington

Silver Spring, MD, Arlington, VA, Crystal City, VA

Fun things to do in DC:

night time tour of the city

places to rent bikes in the city if the family (or older members of the family) are interested. One place is directly adjacent to Union Station by the metro stop.

Duck tour

Gravelly Point - watch plan landings

the Washington Mall

Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History (has great new oceans and human origins exhibits)

Pizzaria Paradiso in Georgetown (great for the kids - and even better if you are a craft beer lover like myself)

Spy Museum (fun for the kids)

Air & Space Museum in Dulles (the one on the Mall is fine, but has NOTHING on the massive experience down the road. it has a spaceshuttle - enough said!)

Mt. Vernon/Old Town Alexandria (easy if you are feeling adventurous on your bike and want to grab some food/wife wants to do some window shopping - nice area)

interested in Art? If you're on the mall, you have the two wings of the National Gallery, as well as the Hirshhorn

Holucast museum

Washingtons home in Mt Vernon

National Cathedral

Enroute to VB:
Williamsburg, jamestown, Yorktown where you can see Geo. Washington's campaign tent from The Revolution.

Fun things to do in Virginia Beach

The day after we arrived: Early morning ride then chill at the beach

Colonial Williamsburg. About a 2 hour drive from the beach. You can't see it all in a day, don't try.

Early morning ride, Marine science museum http://www.virginiaaquarium.com/Pages/default.aspx then chill at the beach

weisan
05-23-2010, 06:02 AM
Found one on Priceline for $67 per night, is this a good home base location for DC sightseeing? Is it easy to get to DC from there? Should we drive or just take the metro?

Silver Springs Travelodge
8040 13Th Street
Silver Springs , MD

weisan
05-23-2010, 08:09 AM
Okay, first thing first.

Giro Live NOW!!! Watch how the Zoncalon climb makes mortal men cry. :banana:

http://videochat.gazzetta.it/index_giro.shtml

djg
05-23-2010, 08:31 AM
I would not stay on the Maryland side. Montgomery County has some lovely places to live and some decent places to ride, but it's just further. The very closest parts of Maryland are maybe 7 miles from downtown and the mall, which doesn't sound far, but really does take some time and effort during our very extended rush hour times (2d worst traffic in the nation, they say). Staying practically on top of the metro at Silver Spring or Chevy Chase reduces the problem, but you're still well out of town and tied to the metro. In Arlington, the Crystal City and Rosslyn areas have a bigger selection of hotels and are within sight of the monuments, just across the river. I'm not dissing the state or the people who live there -- I've lived there myself, and my mom lived there, and there are lots & lots of things to like about it, and I don't mean to start the MD-VA thing, but unless you're staying with people, or have some fabulous unmatchable bargain at the Hilton that's right on top of the metro, it's not where I'd look for a hotel for a DC vacation.

Don't give up on downtown hotels unless you've struck out with priceline, expedia, and whatever else is worth a look. You really might find something nice, that's very well located, at a tolerable price. On close-in but not downtown: the wife and I had a quick overnight getaway in November when her folks were here and watching the kids and we stayed at the effin' Ritz Carlton at Pentagon City for something like 120 bucks. I'm not saying that's what you want, but it was pretty darn nice (it was her birthday, they had a pastry plate with a slice of birthday cake waiting for her . . . no second class treatment).

And down near VA Beach don't forget the Aquarium -- it's a nice kids' activity and a nice facility.

Ken Robb
05-23-2010, 09:11 AM
did you try the "name your price" deal on Priceline? I was able to "zoom in" on acceptable areas before buying. You can low-ball your offer: maybe you'll be surprised when it's accepted, maybe you'll agree to raise your bid one time. If you walk away you will probably be offered another try in a few days but I gather you're leaving ASAP.

While you're doing museums be sure you go to the "regular" Smithsonian on the Mall to see a treasure trove of Americana. It surely brings those history lessons to life.

zap
05-23-2010, 09:26 AM
Bethesda on the Red Line metro is the only place in Maryland I would recommend. More $ but then again, :) and I and other formites would be able to ride there, pick you up and go for a great ride. Can't do anything of the sort in Pentagon City or Rosslyn but as Djg posted, hotels are closer to the mall but we are only talking about 15 minute longer metro ride, normally.

When in D.C., best to leave the car at the hotel and take metro.

weisan
05-23-2010, 01:16 PM
zap-pal, thanks for the feedback, I would love to connect if time permits. Please pm me your contact info.

weisan

weisan
05-23-2010, 05:26 PM
crazy day, hotel booked, Georgetown, DC: $110 per night.

Giro update: Top finishers at Zoncalon
1 Gilberto Simoni
2 Leonardo Piepoli
3 Andy Schleck

Oh wait, those were 2007 results! :D

weisan
05-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks to Lifelover, zap, rugbysecondrow-pals for contacting me and wanting to get together, I hope it works out. We are beginning to firm up our travel plans, the hardest part now is deciding where we are going to stopover on Monday night. The idea is to drive as long/far as we can before we call it a night. Ideally, a location that is an hour or two away from DC downtown, so that we can drive into the next day and start doing sight-seeing. We figure we will probably be able to find a decent budget hotel without reservation using AAA membership. Do you think that's a good idea?

May 23 Depart St. Louis, stopover (?)
May 24 Arrive DC
May 25 DC
May 26 DC
May 27 DC
May 28 DC
May 29 DC
May 30 Harrisburg, PA
May 31 Arrive Virginia Beach late evening
Jun 1 VB
Jun 2 VB
Jun 3 We haven't decide, may stay another day at VB or start making our way back late afternoon, stopover ?
Jun 4 Arrive Austin

weisan
05-24-2010, 05:38 AM
I have a quick question to our panel of local DC experts.

We managed to find a last-minute decent deal (I hope it is) in one of the hotels on Georgetown, DC. Presumably the hotel would charge daily parking fees like almost everyone else in the downtown area which averages $30-40 each day

The question is: Is there a "creative" way to get around that expense by parking somewhere else yet within easy reach...or do you think we should just eat up that cost?

The reason we decided to land in the downtown area is to stay close to the main attractions for the sake of the family's mobility and energy levels. I would imagine that we would leave our car at the hotel most of the times and just take the public transportation or walk. Right now, we are planning to be in DC from Tuesday till Sunday, it would cost quite a bit just to leave it in the parking garage. I just don't know the area well enough to know what to do with the situation. Also, coming from Texas where land mass is in surplus, who would have thought you need to pay anything for parking??? :rolleyes: :D just a joke.

thanks for your help and please keep an eye on this thread for I may come back now and then for online advice even while we are on the road.

weisan
05-24-2010, 05:49 AM
One other question besides the parking issue mentioned above...we want to get within a hour or two from DC before we stop over somewhere. Where would you recommend that we stop?

djg
05-24-2010, 06:17 AM
One other question besides the parking issue mentioned above...we want to get within a hour or two from DC before we stop over somewhere. Where would you recommend that we stop?

2 hours (plus fifteen minutes) Charlottesville.
1 hour, Manassas -- you could stop at Dulles-area Air & Space the next morning on your way into town.

weisan
05-24-2010, 06:34 AM
2 hours (plus fifteen minutes) Charlottesville.
1 hour, Manassas -- you could stop at Dulles-area Air & Space the next morning on your way into town.
Perfect! thank you djg-pal!

maximus
05-24-2010, 07:18 AM
The question is: Is there a "creative" way to get around that expense by parking somewhere else yet within easy reach...or do you think we should just eat up that cost?

Best to just accept the cost. Georgetown hugs the business corridor of downtown DC, so commuters from VA and MD (and DC) all file in for the day-to-day. Parking garages in the area have a going rate of about 20-30 a day, so there is no way around it. Sounds like you got a decent price on a hotel though!

The Foggy Bottom metro station should be right around the corner, so you should have no problem jumping off to whatever sights you want to see. As another forumite said - best to leave the car parked if you can.

If the sun isn't blazing, you can rent a row boat down at the waterfront and get a more rare view of DC. The mall, of course, is the one-stop destination for most of the classic DC sites - so get your walkin' shoes ready!

:beer:

rugbysecondrow
05-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Maybe a forumite has parking pad or driveway for you? I offer mine, but I am too far away (Ellicott City, MD).

A few other options:

Long term parking at Reagon National Airport is $12 per/day.
http://www.airwise.com/airports/us/DCA/DCApark.html

You can park at some of the metro stations for $4.25 per/day

Long Term Parking at Metro Stations
Spaces are available for overnight parking only at Greenbelt, Huntington, and Franconia-Springfield!
15 to 17 spaces are available at each location for up to 10 days on a first-come, first-served basis.
Regular Metro parking fee ($4.75) is charged to a SmarTrip card on the day of exit (free on weekends).

DESIGNATED LONG TERM SPACES:
Franconia-Springfield station - Level 1J
Huntington - Lower level of the new station garage
Greenbelt - Cherrywood Lane side

zap
05-24-2010, 09:29 AM

Front Royal might be a good spot too, then 66 to Georgetown. As posted earlier, stop by Air & Space @ Dulles on your way in.

Ken Robb
05-24-2010, 09:37 AM
From a travel perspective it would make the most sense to go to Harrisburg before you go to DC. Backtracking there before heading to DC makes for a pretty long day to VA. Bch.

flydhest
05-24-2010, 10:25 AM
If you end up staying in Georgetown, the following is moot, but if not . . . I would suggest the Pizzaria Paradiso in Dupont Circle. Right by the Metro (the restaurant is at 20th and P) and the same food and beer. Kid friendly.

I hate going to Georgetown if I am not on a bike and I dislike going to Georgetown if I am on a bike.

djg
05-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Maybe a forumite has parking pad or driveway for you? I offer mine, but I am too far away (Ellicott City, MD).

A few other options:

Long term parking at Reagon National Airport is $12 per/day.
http://www.airwise.com/airports/us/DCA/DCApark.html

You can park at some of the metro stations for $4.25 per/day

Long Term Parking at Metro Stations
Spaces are available for overnight parking only at Greenbelt, Huntington, and Franconia-Springfield!
15 to 17 spaces are available at each location for up to 10 days on a first-come, first-served basis.
Regular Metro parking fee ($4.75) is charged to a SmarTrip card on the day of exit (free on weekends).

DESIGNATED LONG TERM SPACES:
Franconia-Springfield station - Level 1J
Huntington - Lower level of the new station garage
Greenbelt - Cherrywood Lane side

I think that the Ronnie National suggestion is the best (provided the cost of parking really is 30-40 bucks at the hotel, and provided that's an issue). To Georgetown proper it's a couple of metro stops and either a longish walk or a bus ride (or just take a cab, which shouldn't cost all that much). It's both pretty close to Georgetown and should be easy enough for an out-of-towner to find. One could drop the luggage and the family at the hotel, head across the river to park the car, and be back in a reasonable amount of time. Parking there means that one could retrieve the car mid-week if there were some sort of expedition in mind.

You can park all day at the East Falls Church metro (which is the western part of Arlington) -- much closer than Greenbelt or the other outer stations, but one would have to check the overnight parking arrangements and you might need to buy a smartcard to pay. There's also parking at the Ballston Mall in Arlington, which is connected by a series of walkways to the Ballston metro -- I'm not sure of the overnight fees, but I think it's 8 bucks per day.

I mean, he can park on the street in front of my house in Arlington -- no zone-restricted hours -- but it's a mile and a half to the metro and the ART bus isn't necessarily faster than walking.

weisan
05-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Just checked in Charlottesville Holiday Inn, big room, kids are jumpin' around - booked thru' hotwire yesterday special deal $67.

We will be staying at Latham Hotel in Georgetown. Just called to check with the parking situation - $32 per day free-in-&-out. For five nights stay, I think we are just going to eat up the cost. Besides we got a firesale deal.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in. rugbysecondrow and I are looking to ride sometime on Wednesday. Let either one of us know if you want to join in.

Long day, beautiful drive, good night! :p

maximus
05-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Thanks to everyone for chiming in. rugbysecondrow and I are looking to ride sometime on Wednesday. Let either one of us know if you want to join in.

What time will you guys be heading out? Sight seeing ride sounds fun.

weisan
05-24-2010, 10:41 PM
What time will you guys be heading out? Sight seeing ride sounds fun.
Max-pal, we are not sure yet, I am still waiting to hear back from Paul. It would be awesome if you can join us. I will keep you posted.

Yes, speeding through the red light in front of the white house and the security is something I always wanted to do since I was a kid. :beer:

djg
05-25-2010, 07:07 AM
Just checked in Charlottesville Holiday Inn, big room, kids are jumpin' around - booked thru' hotwire yesterday special deal $67.

We will be staying at Latham Hotel in Georgetown. Just called to check with the parking situation - $32 per day free-in-&-out. For five nights stay, I think we are just going to eat up the cost. Besides we got a firesale deal.

Long day, beautiful drive, good night! :p

Hey, you've got a world class restaurant in your hotel. Really. It'll put that 32 dollar parking fee to shame, however.

OTOH, you've got Georgetown Bagels just a few blocks up M street.

Ken Robb
05-25-2010, 06:52 PM
let me know how the Charlottesville hotel works out as Les and I are going there in July. She's never seen Monticello and I'm happy to go again. I hope you get to see it too while you're in the area.

weisan
05-25-2010, 08:16 PM
let me know how the Charlottesville hotel works out as Les and I are going there in July. She's never seen Monticello and I'm happy to go again. I hope you get to see it too while you're in the area.

We didn't go to Monticello. The room we had at Holiday Inn University is very spacious. And the price is right! We were only there for the night. It worked out perfect.

weisan
05-26-2010, 09:32 PM
I took off early this morning at 6:45 am for a quick spin around the "neighborhood" before the family wakes up, not really knowing where I am heading a.k.a getting lost on purpose. I like to do that occasionally esp. riding in a new place, thought of it as an adventure and something fun. It was only a few minutes ago that I got the chance to look at google maps to see where I have gone.

Started off Latham Hotel at M and 30th NW, heading west on M

Canal Rd NW
Right on Foxhall Rd NW
Left on Lougboro Rd NW
Right Dalecarlia Parkway NW
Left Massachussetts Ave.
Left Goldsboro Rd

At this point, I took a 20-mins detour into Glen Echo Park to check out the amphitheater/amusement park grounds before getting back on MacArthur Blvd. Nice park!

Rode on a section of the bike path along MacArthur, to Canal and then back to M-street.

MapMyRide says that's 14.55 miles.

Paul (rugbysecondrow) and I ended up not able to connect up for a ride because of his family commitments which is understandable. The rest of you, whatever excuses you may have, shame on you! :rolleyes: :bike: ;) :p

Hope to do that once more before we leave the DC area on Sat. morning to go to Virginia Beach, maybe Friday morning, heading the opposite direction towards the downtown Mall area.

weisan
05-26-2010, 10:10 PM
So far we have covered these ground since arriving in the DC area Tuesday afternoon:

"Accidentally" walked into the national building museum on the first day, hoping to get some maps, saw the nice interior with the tall pillars (see pics)

Dulles Air/Space - nice to be able to see my all-time fav. airplane "Blackbird" in person, looked at those massive burners! It's also fascinating to walk underneath the French Concorde fuselage and then of course, the space shutter hanger area.

Natural History Museum - the life-size Bison is a magnificent animal, gives me a better appreciation of what Job 40:16-17 is saying: "...Behold, his strength in his loins, and his power in the muscles of his belly. He makes his tail stiff like a cedar; the sinews of his thighs are knit together. His bones are tubes of bronze, his limbs like bars of iron."

By far, my favorite section in the museum is the "bones" - to be able to see the skeletal make-up and internal structure of the different animals, wow! The complexity alone boggles the mind - intelligent design.

National Gallery of Arts - took an interesting 45-mins guided tour on American modern arts. I am not very good with arts, but this sculpture captures my imagination, I already forgot what it is and who made it...see, I told you!

Spy Museum - after free admissions to two world-class museums, we balked at the $18 admission fee (children $15) so we didn't go in but we did let the kids roamed free at the gift store for an hour, they had fun destroying...er, I mean, playing with the "exhibits". :D

We walked for about 20 mins to the Foggy Bottom station to get to the Smithsonian but took the bus back from Chinatown to the hotel, it stopped right in front.

Tomorrow's plan include early morning walk around the Monuments on the Mall - walking from the West end to the Washington Monument, planning to hit Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam and Korean War Memorials, WWII Memorial, Washington Monument, and the front of the White House.

- hope to catch a tour of the Capitol Building, and the Library of Congress.
On our way back to Georgetown, hope to visit the National Cathedral.

Not sure what we are going to do on Friday yet. My wife thought five nights is a bit too much, so we cut short one day in DC, planning to leave on Sat. morning and stop by Mt Vernon, Washington Estate on our way to Virginia Beach.

Anyway, still hoping to catch one final ride Friday morning before we leave town. Anyone commuting into downtown willing to take me on a 1-hr whirlwind tour? :p

oh btw, what we ended doing with the parking situation is paying $18 for the open air 24-hr parking across the street, cheaper than the $32 valet parking at the hotel, plus tax and tips, easily comes closer to $40
weisan

weisan
05-26-2010, 10:13 PM
http://www.alicehui.com/pics/dc1.jpg

http://www.alicehui.com/pics/dc2.jpg

http://www.alicehui.com/pics/dc3.jpg

http://www.alicehui.com/pics/dc4.jpg

http://www.alicehui.com/pics/dc5.jpg

djg
05-27-2010, 07:13 AM
We have a Friday morning team ride -- mellow, pre-weekend pace (about 18 mph, although sometimes it drifts up). It's just a 20 mile loop around Arlington, followed by coffee (and muffins--it's called the muffin ride) at the java shack. Departure is 6:30. Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested.

zap
05-27-2010, 11:40 AM
that sr71 is so cool.

How do you like the weather today :D

Out for an early morning ride in the country 20 odd miles north west of you in Potomac. It was 85 when I got back.

weisan
05-27-2010, 11:06 PM
How do you like the weather today :D

You would think that living in Texas for fifteen years would prepare us for this, but still there's a difference when it comes to walking from pt A to pt B most of the time and draggin' five whiney...er, I mean, nice kids around with us. :D

We hit the "Memorial" route today: dropping off from the bus at Lafayette Park, hit by a "wall" of students, took the customary pictures in front of the north side of the white house. Stopped and asked a policeman, "Sir, how can we get into that white house?" "That's easy, you apply it through your state representative for a pass." "Oh, you mean we can't get in NOW?" "Oh no, it usually takes a couple of months for them to run background checks and approvals etc." "Oh, I see...." :p So, we sought out the next best alternative, went inside the Gallery of Arts across the street that is exhibiting artworks done by American-Japanese in the internment camps, interesting stuff. After spending an hour or so inside the nice A/C, we finally got out and started our 3-hour "Memorial" trek that took us past the Vietnam War Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, WWI/WWII Memorials, Reflecting Pool, Washington Monument. It took us three hours because of the necessary stops with young children in tow. Snacks/treats bribery and the occasional death threats help to get the troopers move along. We finally got back inside at the Smithsonian Castle. Next stop after that, the Hirshorn Museum - special exhibit include a video of several naked women rolling on paint and sticking themselves against a canvas on the wall and call it "art", needless to say, we didn't stay very long. :rolleyes: And then finally, we made it to the Air & Space and spent a couple of hours there. Had our lunch inside at the McDonalds. I have never seen such a large army of McDonald employees serving customers at such speed and efficiency, coupled with the "smile" even with waves after waves of "students" descending upon them relentlessly for at least an hour or so . I was so impressed that I walked up and complimented the manager for an "excellent job". He promptly directed my eyes to a prized trophy sitting on the top..."We are no.1 in the nation!" Ha, that explains it! :p
It was brilliant of McDonalds to grab hold of that space inside the museum, wonder how much they have to pay the museum people in order to keep that coveted place. This one is different compared to the one in Dulles in terms of concentration of hands-on exhibits for the kids but I still prefer the Dulles version. Our last stop was to walk over to Capitol Hill and get inside. On our way there, we get laughed at again like we did at the white house. "Sir, can we go in?" "Sure! Just come early in the morning like everyone else and line up for a free pass. You have to come early because everyday they only issue a llimited number of free passes." "Oh I see..." :D
Now the wife wants to come back tomorrow morning and try her luck with the crowd. :rolleyes:

djg-pal, thanks for telling me about the ride. I know this is probably too late but in case you are still up, could you send me a google link and pinpoint the exact starting location of the muffin ride Friday morning? If I am available, I will show up for the ride. Thanks!

weisan
05-27-2010, 11:12 PM
This message for Lifelover-pal, your PM box is full.

btw, just to give you a headsup, we will be leaving DC on Sat. and heading towards Virginia Beach stopping at Mount Vernon along the way. We should get in late afternoon. I am still undecided if I will be able to ride Sunday morning but I will give you call on Sat. evening to confirm.

weisan

weisan
05-27-2010, 11:18 PM
I know it's memorial day weekend and all that. Friday night is our last night at DC, anyone interested in doing a night-time downtown ride hitting all the major monuments along the way?

Palincss-pal pm'ed me this route, thank you pal!

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2373

Let me know.

weisan
05-28-2010, 06:13 AM
Any recommendations for chinese food around DC?

palincss
05-28-2010, 06:33 AM
Anywhere in Chinatown -- i.e., near the Gallery Place metro. My favorite place is Tony Cheng's Mongolian Barbeque, but partly that's because you pick the stuff that goes into it, so no chance of anything I won't eat sneaking in by accident.

Earlier in this thread there are pictures of the inside of the Building Museum. That's around 4 blocks east of the arch, just the other side of the Verizon Center, so you can stop by after your meal.

maximus
05-28-2010, 06:52 AM
There are a few places right around the corner from the China Town metro stop that are decent. Wish I could remember the names off the top of my head. :rolleyes:

Ken Robb
05-28-2010, 09:18 AM
you really should try to see the National Cathedral--think: Westminster Abbey Comes to the New World". :)

Lifelover
05-28-2010, 11:07 AM
This message for Lifelover-pal, your PM box is full.

btw, just to give you a headsup, we will be leaving DC on Sat. and heading towards Virginia Beach stopping at Mount Vernon along the way. We should get in late afternoon. I am still undecided if I will be able to ride Sunday morning but I will give you call on Sat. evening to confirm.

weisan

I'll be here. Just call. I will ride Sunday morning regardless and I can Ride Monday morning.

djg
05-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Any recommendations for chinese food around DC?

Sorry I missed your post last night (probably was just turning in around midnight).

So . . . our Chinatown is uninspiring, although it has several decent places, and the best Chinese food is in the suburbs. You don't want to explore Rockville, but if you're bold enough to head out to Falls Church (Arlington Blvd/Route 50), Mark's Duck House is really good.

In town, there's a dive-ish place in Chinatown called Full-Kee that does good noodles (try the shrimp dumplings in soup with Chinese brocoli).

weisan
05-28-2010, 05:52 PM
In town, there's a dive-ish place in Chinatown called Full-Kee that does good noodles (try the shrimp dumplings in soup with Chinese brocoli).
thanks for the recommendations, pals! djg-pal, no problem, I ended not sleeping that well last night so riding even at 12mph would have been painful. We went to full-kee on our first day here, it was pretty good, the price is right.

Today, we hit on the following program:

Capitol Hill - beautiful architecture and interior, come off inspired by the founding vision of this nation, enjoyed the introductory video.

Library of Congress (LoC) - love the famous quotes and artwork on the wall/ceiling, probably my fav. so far. They have a special exhibit going on about the writing of the declaration of indep. and bill of rights. Very cool!

Supreme Court - come off with a better appreciation of the judiciary branch of the government.

National Cathedral - wow!

We took the car today and parked on 1st street one block away from the LoC. Had to run back several times to top up the parking meter. The last time I did anything close to resembling running or jogging is back almost 20 years ago in the army. My body doesn't like that. I don't like that. :rolleyes: :D

Came back to the hotel for a nap, planning to take the kids out on a night cruise to see the monuments lit up in a couple of hours. This is our last night in DC, tomorrow we are driving down to Virginia Beach and stopping over at Mt Vernon Washington Estate along the way. I hope we don't spend 5 hours in the highway with the DC memorial weekend getaway crowd.

weisan
05-29-2010, 08:30 PM
I did my second and final ride in DC this morning. We had a heavy downpour last night while we were out driving around town catching a look of the buildings lighted up. Needless to say, we stayed in the car most of the time. It took us a while to finally figure out a way to get to the Jefferson Memorial on Ohio but it was well-worth it. The open air pillars and the black statue standing in the middle, what a sight to behold!

I went out and rode this morning before we leave DC. It's amazing how much grounds one can make on a bike. I basically re-traced the entire tourist route passing all the places we have been over the last three days in less than an hour.

I will summarize our entire DC experience in one word: Inspiring!

On our way to Mt Vernon, we stopped over at Gravally Point to watch the plane landing and takeoffs. Our kids went bananas! it was so fun.
I didn't realize that the trail runs all the way to the Washington Estate until I asked one of the cyclists there. I turned over and looked at my wife, she understood immediately what I wanted. In less than 30 seconds, I am back on my bike...AGAIN! but this time, just on my regular plain clothes - shorts and t-shirt. I told my kids I will race them to our destination thinking it's just an easy breezy 13 miles, how long can that take?!

Well, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the trail with all its scenery and wooded area. I was riding FAST, hoping to get there asap without making the family wait too long. I violated the "15mph" speed limit all the way there.

Our visit at the Washington Estate is simply amazing. The number of people the Washington family hosted and cared for is nothing short of a feat. We went to the Gristmill and the Distiller before heading towards Virginia Beach.

And now we are here, arrived 30 minutes ago. Lifelover-pal is planning to drive over to where we live at 7am tomorrow morning and ride together. We are going to do about 2:45-3 hrs of leisure-pace riding. Let us know if you want to come.

weisan
05-30-2010, 05:26 AM
I am really glad to have a bike with me on this trip. More so, to have my cross bike

1) with fatter tires (32mm pasela) - it just rolled over potholes, good on asphalt, trails and gravel, I don't have to worry too much about the junk on the road

2) full fenders - it rained hard the night before and kept me dry while riding the next day on wet roads

3) In-line brake levers on top - allows me to sit up and take a more relaxed position when I slow down around the tourist sites and just doing some "sight-seeing"

4) compact crankset and a 11-34 cassette at the back - I don't have to worry about going up some stupid steep ramps or spin out of gears

Riding in new places and not knowing what kind of road and weather conditions I might be up against, it was a relief to know that the bike can be called into duty anytime anywhere.

The only time I had any problem was coming down a hill fast at 35 mph and having to stop at a red light, the stopping power of those cantilever brakes are not so great. Also, it can't be broken down into smaller pieces for carrying in a luggage. Since it's sitting back in the car on this trip, it's not so much of a problem.

I am really glad my new taylor will have all these qualities built into it despite being a full-blooded road bike. According to Paul, the package is in the mail as soon as we get back to St. Louis, can't wait! :beer:

weisan
05-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Lifelover-pal and I took off at 7 this morning and rode to the beach and back. We did about 32 miles. The weather was perfect. A thunderstorm came by just an hour ago, I went out again on my own with my bike just to feel the power of nature with lightning flashing everywhere and the rain pelting down hard on my face and back. It's been a while since I rode in the rain. Of late, I have become soft and a fair-weather rider. I was out for about an hour, came home soaked wet, it was fun. :banana:

Trying to avoid the memorial weekend crowd in the beach, there's no hurry since we will be here until Friday.

If it rains tomorrow, we will go to the Aquarium. :D :p

palincss
05-31-2010, 06:06 AM
The only time I had any problem was coming down a hill fast at 35 mph and having to stop at a red light, the stopping power of those cantilever brakes are not so great.

You might want to have somebody who really understands cantilever setup take a look. Cantis typically have no trouble stopping tandems going down hill, and that's twice the weight and most likely a lot more speed as well.

weisan
06-02-2010, 11:46 PM
palincss-pal, thanks for the tip, I will check on that.

We are still in Virginia Beach. Greg (aka Lifelover) and I went for a ride this evening, it's our second time in the row this week. We took off from his house around 8-ish (PM) and rode to the beach and on our way back, he showed me around the neighborhood which he normally rides. It was nice, peaceful and cool. I totally enjoyed his company. What a privilege to be able to connect with someone from the forum wherever I go and actually do a ride together. Absolutely love it! Thank you Ben Serotta. :D :p :beer:

weisan

Ken Robb
06-03-2010, 10:25 AM
You really NEED to get your 12-year old to Williamsburg and Yorktown before you go home. An evening tour or concert by lantern and candlelight is very worthwhile. Living history beyond any book. :)

johnnymossville
06-03-2010, 10:31 AM
You really NEED to get your 12-year old to Williamsburg and Yorktown before you go home. An evening tour or concert by lantern and candlelight is very worthwhile. Living history beyond any book. :)

I used to live in the area, and you are spot on with Williamsburg and Yorktown. My favorite places in the 3 years I was there.

flydhest
06-03-2010, 11:39 AM
I used to live in the area, and you are spot on with Williamsburg and Yorktown. My favorite places in the 3 years I was there.

Wow. I lived in Williamsburg for 6 years and was always puzzled by it as a destination. Yorktown and Jamestown a bit better (Yorktown b/c military history intrigues me). Williamsburg has got better through time, and I'll admit to not having been there much in the past 5 years, but the plastic version of American mythology tended to leave me a bit flat.

(I used to be a professor at William and Mary, should that matter.)

johnnymossville
06-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Wow. I lived in Williamsburg for 6 years and was always puzzled by it as a destination. Yorktown and Jamestown a bit better (Yorktown b/c military history intrigues me). Williamsburg has got better through time, and I'll admit to not having been there much in the past 5 years, but the plastic version of American mythology tended to leave me a bit flat.

But you lived in Williamsburg, I lived in VA Beach. It's all relative wouldn't you say? Not to mention Busch Gardens is there, and I heard mention of a 12 year old.

Ken Robb
06-03-2010, 12:36 PM

Geez, you must have gotten jaded living there. :) I have attended candlelight concerts played on period instruments, discussed rifling and trigger sears with the gunsmith while he rifled a barrel, had a one-one demo of planing and kerfing by the cabinetmaker while Leslie played the perfect reproduction harpsichord on display in his shop. I didn't find any of those "plastic". The museum has excellent displays of period art and everyday furniture and implements of all kinds. If it's a HOT day it offers air-conditioned respite too.

OTOH, they do have a bunch of cheesy souvenirs for sale. They also offer some very good replica merchandise at the Silversmith's and other locations. Certainly many of the buildings are reproductions but I have to say walking on the same floorboards trod by Patrick Henry and others in an original home gave me a little chill/tingle.

Lifelover
06-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Geez, you must have gotten jaded living there. :) I have attended candlelight concerts played on period instruments, discussed rifling and trigger sears with the gunsmith while he rifled a barrel, had a one-one demo of planing and kerfing by the cabinetmaker while Leslie played the perfect reproduction harpsichord on display in his shop. I didn't find any of those "plastic". The museum has excellent displays of period art and everyday furniture and implements of all kinds. If it's a HOT day it offers air-conditioned respite too.

OTOH, they do have a bunch of cheesy souvenirs for sale. They also offer some very good replica merchandise at the Silversmith's and other locations. Certainly many of the buildings are reproductions but I have to say walking on the same floorboards trod by Patrick Henry and others in an original home gave me a little chill/tingle.

While "reproductions" is accurate. They are VERY much period correct. They make the nails on site and much of the materials were purchased from period homes in Old Town Portsmouth.

I'm with you on this. Williamsburg is very cool and I was pretty confused byt he term "plastic".

I don't know if they still offer it but the best way to see Williamsburg is/was with somehting called a Sampler pass. It allow you to go visit 5 of the displays (blacksmith, gun smith and printer) were always my favorites and it also included a meal at one of the taverns. Have not been there in a few years but really enjoy it everytime.

I don't know what all they did but I think Weisan and his family spent Monday there.

palincss
06-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Just one note for cyclists WRT Williamsburg and the environs: be careful on the Colonial Parkway. The cracks between the lanes of pavement will cause you to crash if you stray onto them; and if you ride two abreast you will get ticketed.

weisan
06-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Hey pals, we hit on Williamsburg right the next day after we arrived at Virginia Beach EVEN BEFORE we get to the beach. Did we get our priority right? :D

We went on Memorial Day, and they have a mini-parade cum service going on, the flag-bearers and the ceremonial guards wearing their period-correct uniforms, and using their old rifles for the gun salutes, pretty cool. We watched a couple of the "live" re-enactment shows, given dance lessons inside Raleigh Tavern, and visited some of the trade shops; silversmith, wig-making, millinery etc. They are all high-quality but I must say by the time we get to Williamsburg, we have already experienced DC and Mt Vernon, we were already pretty "stuffed up", it was touch-and-go at that point.

I took a quick stock of what we have done and where we have gone over the last 9-10 days:

Drove 12+ hours from St. Louis to Charlottesville, VA
stayed at Holiday Inn in Charlottesville, VA
stayed at Latham Hotel at Georgetown, DC
Dulles Air & Space
Chinatown
Smithsonian Museums
Art Galleries
The Memorials and Monuments
Capitol Hill
Supreme Court
Library of Congress
National Cathedral
Rode around town in DC
Gravelly Point
Mt Vernon Trail
Mt Vernon Washington Estate
stayed at our friend's house in Virginia Beach
Colonial Williamsburg

We did a couple of miles of walking with five kids in tow. By the time we get to Virginia Beach for the last five days of our vacation, I told my people we are just going to chill out at the beach and recover. The highlight for me at Virginia Beach was the fact that i get to ride twice with a forum pal (Greg). Last night we rode down to the beach, went from one end of the boardwalk to the other and then circled around a nice, quiet neighborhood in the cool of the night. That was pretty cool!

Anyway, we have spent three consecutive days down at the beach every morning from 9-12 in front of 31 Ocean. The kids were just talkin' about what they are going to do tomorrow...at the beach AGAIN! :crap: :p :beer:

weisan
06-03-2010, 06:51 PM
http://alicehui.com/pics/dc41.jpg
http://alicehui.com/pics/dc42.jpg
http://alicehui.com/pics/dc43.jpg
http://alicehui.com/pics/dc44.jpg
http://alicehui.com/pics/dc45.jpg

flydhest
06-04-2010, 06:27 AM
Geez, you must have gotten jaded living there. :) .

Entirely possible . . . will readily grant that my view is well skewed. Your post and the following one make for seriously credible endorsements, I must say.

The first time I was there was a long time ago and I know that improvements were made. I haven't been in years, so my info is suspect.

weisan
06-04-2010, 06:46 AM
fly-pal, I was hoping to ride with you in DC but it's a shame it never happen. :fight:

I will go on record to say that we enjoyed the Mt Vernon Washington Estate visit more than we did in Williamsburg. You can get more or less the same variety there and the quality might be a bit higher, with lower admission fee. The new education center is amazingly well-done. If given the choice, we would do Mt Vernon all over again and just skip Williamsburg. I understand the historical linkage to the latter but...just my two cents. :D

weisan
06-06-2010, 05:30 PM
We just got back at St. Louis a couple of hours ago!!!

Overall, it's been an amazing road trip. Thanks to all who provided tips and suggestions. I will spend some time to sort out the pictures and post a few here.

It's good to be home.

Ti_on_Steel
06-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Second the the Dulles air and space museum, much bigger than the one on the national mall. For riding, I suggest the W&OD Trail. It's a rails to trails through Virginia thats totally car free and beautiful.

Lifelover
06-07-2010, 07:27 AM
We just got back at St. Louis a couple of hours ago!!!

Overall, it's been an amazing road trip. Thanks to all who provided tips and suggestions. I will spend some time to sort out the pictures and post a few here.

It's good to be home.

Getting home is the best part of any vacation.

I'm glad we got to do some riding. You make a great riding companion.

weisan
06-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Getting home is the best part of any vacation.

I'm glad we got to do some riding. You make a great riding companion.

Greg-pal, the feeling is mutual! :beer:

My wife just took off early morning at 4am to go to a 3-day teacher training about 4 hours away. I think our vacation just got extended for another three days, except that this time it's local! :D

Come and see me sometimes when you happen to come by this way.
To tell you the truth, I am "dreaming" about riding in Blue Ridge Parkway the last we talked.... ;)

weisan
06-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Second the the Dulles air and space museum, much bigger than the one on the national mall. For riding, I suggest the W&OD Trail. It's a rails to trails through Virginia thats totally car free and beautiful.

Interesting...We have Katy Trail here and I hope to do at least part of it someday, maybe this summer?!? :banana: :beer:

http://www.bikekatytrail.com/milechart.asp

weisan
06-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Dear folks,

We survived our road trip, thanks to all your prayers. Overall, it's been a great learning experience. Our time in DC was both tiring and invigorating. As we toured rows after rows of museums and galleries, we stood in awe of the human works of excellence prompted by their God-given gifts. We were privileged to rest our eyes upon historical documents that marked the birth of this country. We were inspired by the personal accounts of individuals involved in founding and building this great nation. We then begin to make connection of this great land and its people even though we have lived here for the last 15 years.

Because of the amount of walking we did in the DC area, and the fact that most of the places of interests are concentrated within a 2-mile radius, I am convinced the best way to tour around DC is by a bike ; ) We prioritize our DC itinerary based on our good friend Matt Thomas' recommendations and he is right on the money. A quick survey of the places we have gone just over a span of five days:

Dulles Air & Space Museum (highly recommended)
Chinatown DC
Smithsonian Museums: Natural History (highly recommended), Air and Space, Hirshorn/Sculpture
National Art Gallery (highly recommended)
The Memorials: Lincoln, WWII, Jefferson, Vietnam War
Washington Monument
Capitol Hill
Supreme Court
Library of Congress (highly recommended)
Spy Museum
National Cathedral, Georgetown
Gravelly Point
Mt Vernon Washington Estate (highly recommended)
Colonial Williamsburg

By the time we get to Virginia Beach a week later, all that the kids want to do is to play at the beach, I am happy to comply. And we did that everyday for five days straight between 9-12 AM. Many thanks to our gracious host Alvin and Elaine for letting us stay in their nice and comfortable house while they were on vacation.

Something I learned personally - family vacation CAN be fun, we should do it more regularly, did I just say that??? Driving long distance ain't so bad. I was worried with my broken back, but with the seven of us, what other options do we have, really?? And something we already knew long time ago, having some sort of "entertainment center" in the car for the kids is a MUST!!! These guys must have watched "Spy Kids" I dunno how many times.

Finally, the "Best Traveller" award, without a doubt, goes to baby Elizabeth "Lizzy". At a tender age of 20 months, she did valiantly well on the trip. We are proud of her.

To end, here's a selection of pictures taken on this trip:

http://alicehui.com/dc_trip/

Enjoy!

Wei San & Dana Hui

Ken Robb
06-14-2010, 06:20 AM
nice looking family--I mean really nice. Thanks for sharing your vacation. :)