PDA

View Full Version : Pro Tour Rant

sspielman
03-30-2005, 09:50 AM
The new Pro Tour is stupid. The most ridiculous aspect is the automatic entry clause for Pro Tour events. As a result, we are going to have classics squads left oot of spring classics so that Euskaltel can line up for the Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix! Conversely, Kaiku will not be riding the Vuelta.....but Lotto-Davitamon will!....and riders like Astarloa (Barloworld) and Casagrande (ugly yellow jersey team) will be looking for wildcards into protour events...In general, the UCI seems to have forgotten that there are specialties within the sport. The Spanish grow great stage racers.....and homegrown Communitat Valenciana is one of the great stage racing teams of the era....but they will only race one Grand Tour, the Vuelta. It is not good for cycling at all.......

coylifut
03-30-2005, 10:48 AM
right now there's some non-anorexic Spanish kid living in San Sebastian who's dreaming of winning Paris Roubaix. With that said, I agree with you. I understand what the UCI is trying to accomplish. Let's hope it works.

sspielman
03-31-2005, 08:08 AM
I also think that invitations to the Grand Tours (and other stage races) should be on the basis of a) the team having a gc contender and b) that team bringing the gc contender to the race. I am sick of seeing teams like Fassa Bortolo and Lotto go to the Tour to contest only the green jersey and single stages....or for Virenque to target the polka dot jersey... These contests are a sideshow and should not be allowed to become a main event....

coylifut
03-31-2005, 09:38 AM
I also think that invitations to the Grand Tours (and other stage races) should be on the basis of a) the team having a gc contender and b) that team bringing the gc contender to the race. I am sick of seeing teams like Fassa Bortolo and Lotto go to the Tour to contest only the green jersey and single stages....or for Virenque to target the polka dot jersey... These contests are a sideshow and should not be allowed to become a main event....

now hold on. the "other" jerseys were created for the "side show."