PDA

View Full Version : Pedals Dura Ace VS Keo

stephenmarklay
05-20-2010, 12:45 PM
I have a pedal that cracked after a crash and I need to replace them. I don't have the budget for Keo Blades so I wondered in the 200(ish) range if there are any stand outs?

I have been riding Keo Classic and they have been ok but wonder about a step up.

rinconryder
05-20-2010, 02:22 PM
I used Keo pedals for a while and then switched to Ultegra pedals, I much prefer the shimano pedals. Much larger platform and more stout feeling. Enough float for me.

pdmtong
05-20-2010, 03:39 PM
I have both 7810 and 6620 pedals. they both wrok great. the platform and release is fine..but IMHO are much easier to walk around in that keos abd that is why I went shimano...now with 4 bikes/pedals I am happily stuck. choose wisely

mike p
05-20-2010, 03:43 PM
You can't beat the shimano pedals either DA or ultegra.

Mike

Ken C
05-20-2010, 07:44 PM
I had Keo Sprints and then switched to 6620's (Ultegra) with the wider metal platform.

I like that the shimano's are metal, I think they look better, but the platform is more stable feeling because of the metal and the width. My Keos developed lateral play due to wear in the resin bodies.

However I like the heel float of the KEOs vs the float in the toe of the Shimanos. However, once I got used to it I don't even notice it anymore.

I do think the Shimano cleats are easier to walk in.

The new Keo Max's are now wider and have a metal foot platform so those might be really nice.

Ken

Ralph
05-20-2010, 08:44 PM
I have Keo Max on two bikes. They are fine. But I did buy some cleat covers for when I'm off the bike.

Personally....for just riding, I like SPD better....with a hi end shoe. You can walk around on the shoes also.

BdaGhisallo
05-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Shimano spd-sl every time!

fourflys
05-21-2010, 02:50 PM
I have SPD-SL's on my Campy Chorus bike :p

I have both the Dura Ace model and the 105 version and to be honest while riding, I can't tell any differnce... I will say the Dura Ace are a tad light and spin much smoother in my hand... Of course, I have the Dura Ace on the main bike right now... gotta go for the show! :D

BTW- I believe REI had all Shimano pedals on sale for 25% right now...

stephenmarklay
05-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Looks like Shimano has a nice following. Thanks! I was at REI today and they did not have them marked but they might be on sale.

rnhood
05-21-2010, 04:16 PM
My SPD-SL pedals are probably the only piece of equipment that leaves me with no desire to try any other pedal. I'm sure personal preference plays a role like with many other components but, it was love at first clip-in for me.

REI is now running a 20%-off-one-item special sale right now. Mail order from the UK is a good deal right now too.

fourflys
05-21-2010, 04:26 PM
I was at REI today and they did not have them marked but they might be on sale.

Check here, the store should honor this as well... Plus with REI, if you don't like them you can take them back..

http://www.rei.com/category/4500855

bob the nailer
05-22-2010, 01:33 AM
ribble cycles, in england, has keo blades for about 250 including shipping.