PDA

View Full Version : 650b content

PacNW2Ford
05-19-2010, 10:38 PM
My much anticipated Pacenti Pari-Motos arrived today. Ride report soon.

bfd
05-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Just courious, but is 650b still in? I know the "27.5" mtb tires seem to have some movement, but what about for road use?

I always thought this was a good size for smaller people and converting old "racers" into more useful bikes. Besides Rivendell, VO, Jan Heine and a few others, is the movement still strong? Thanks!

rcnute
05-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Just courious, but is 650b still in? I know the "27.5" mtb tires seem to have some movement, but what about for road use?

I always thought this was a good size for smaller people and converting old "racers" into more useful bikes. Besides Rivendell, VO, Jan Heine and a few others, is the movement still strong? Thanks!

I think the core is strong and some new users are trickling in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30684316@N08/4624298659/

goonster
05-20-2010, 02:00 PM
I always thought this was a good size for smaller people
Size is the wrong reason to get them. The overall diameter of 650 x 38b is not that much smaller than 700 x 23c.

I am a big fan of the 650b tires, and I am not what you would call a "smaller" person. The Pari-Moto tire is an excellent addition to a small but outstanding selection of tires for this wheel size. At chez Goonster we have a much-loved 650b tandem, and I am awaiting my custom single built around the 650 x 42b Grand Bois Hetres any day now.

bfd
05-20-2010, 02:12 PM
I wrote in part:

<I always thought this was a good size for smaller people>

Goon replied:

>>Size is the wrong reason to get them. The overall diameter of 650 x 38b is not that much smaller than 700 x 23c.<<

OK, so are you saying that someone who rides a 49 or 50cm bike and has problem with things like steep seat tube angle or extreme toe clip overlap, should just run 700c (622mm) wheels?!

Further, is 38mm wide tires the sweet spot for 650b wheels? What about those using 32mm or 35mm wide tires? (assuming tires are available in those sizes) Wouldn't it be better for a person riding a 50cm bike to use 584x32 tires than 700x23?

I'm glad you like 650b. I was justing wondering how this "movement" was doing as I stilll haven't seen any of the big guns in cycling like Trek, Specialized or even Giant, move in this direction. Probably too complicated to introduce yet another size into their dealer networks. Good Luck!

goonster
05-20-2010, 02:48 PM
OK, so are you saying that someone who rides a 49 or 50cm bike and has problem with things like steep seat tube angle or extreme toe clip overlap, should just run 700c (622mm) wheels?!

No, I'm saying they should go even smaller, to 26" (559) or 650c.

Further, is 38mm wide tires the sweet spot for 650b wheels? What about those using 32mm or 35mm wide tires? (assuming tires are available in those sizes) Wouldn't it be better for a person riding a 50cm bike to use 584x32 tires than 700x23?
Tire preference depends on the rider, the surfaces he rides on, and other factors. However, the current issue of BQ suggests that there is a "sweet spot" width for each tire size, and 38 mm +/- 3 or so is it for 584.

Anyway, I'm not aware of tires with the volume and casing quality of the Pari-Moto or Grand Bois Hetre/Cypres in any size other than 650b, so this is currently a moot issue, atmo.

I was justing wondering how this "movement" was doing as I stilll haven't seen any of the big guns in cycling like Trek, Specialized or even Giant, move in this direction. Probably too complicated to introduce yet another size into their dealer networks. Good Luck!
I don't know how the Big 3 would market 650b, but luckily I don't rely on them to tell me what will work for me. As an aside, the fixed-gear "movement" took off without massive adoption by the Big 3, so I don't think we need them to establish a sustainable niche.

bfd
05-20-2010, 03:18 PM
goonster wrote:

<No, I'm saying they should go even smaller, to 26" (559) or 650c.>

Thanks. 650c (571mm) tires may not be a good option as there's only one tire (Terry Tellus at 28mm) that is wider than the standard 571x20/23mm tires normally avaialble. 26" (559mm) is a good option has there are 1.25/1.5/1.75 and wide available.

<Tire preference depends on the rider, the surfaces he rides on, and other factors. However, the current issue of BQ suggests that there is a "sweet spot" width for each tire size, and 38 mm +/- 3 or so is it for 584.>

Agree. I find 700c to be sufficient for my type of riding (commuting and/or recreational "road" riding).

<I don't know how the Big 3 would market 650b, but luckily I don't rely on them to tell me what will work for me. As an aside, the fixed-gear "movement" took off without massive adoption by the Big 3, so I don't think we need them to establish a sustainable niche.>

The problem is if the Big companies don't support something, it may become harder to maintain supplies. For 650b, there seems to be enough interest that tire and rim mfrs will continue to make that size. Having a big company support would help alot in keeping the supply line active.

Fixies use standard 700c tires and wheels. In most cases, the frames, hubs, cranks/bb, are basically track stuff. So, there's really not much to support.

goonster
05-20-2010, 03:33 PM
The problem is if the Big companies don't support something, it may become harder to maintain supplies. For 650b, there seems to be enough interest that tire and rim mfrs will continue to make that size. Having a big company support would help alot in keeping the supply line active.
I would just like to point out that the Big 3 are not supporting a lot of things that many folks like. 700c tires bigger than 25 mm, for example.

The current 650b scene has developed slowly, sustainably and through the strength of the products themselves, not marketing hype. Sales of Grand Bois Hetre tires have been sufficiently robust to merit the introduction of new tread colors.