PDA

View Full Version : I stayed home tonight

dekindy
05-18-2010, 07:19 PM
I am trying to get 500 club riding miles so I can get my 500-mile in May award and get some ink in the club newsletter. Tonight it was cold and damp and I did not sleep well last night. Instead of getting all the Fall clothes out again I stayed home and rested. It is going to be in the 70's and sunny starting Thursday, my next regular riding day, I am riding better this year than I did all last year, and I have 8 weeks until RAIN. Besides, the TOC and Giro are on Versus and Universal Sports tonight so I figure that I can practice visualizing myself riding like the pros and improve my mental outlook for climbing.

rugbysecondrow
05-18-2010, 07:22 PM
It is good to get some rest.

Ti Designs
05-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Besides, the TOC and Giro are on Versus and Universal Sports tonight...

Recovery is a good reason, watching someone else ride their bike instead of riding your own isn't.

Just my opinion...

dekindy
05-19-2010, 08:25 AM
I must have been really tired. I went to bed early and slept 10 hours and feel much better. And the sun is shining!

flydhest
05-19-2010, 08:41 AM
I am a bit confused. Your club has awards for people who log 500 miles in a month?

About how many members do that per month?

dekindy
05-19-2010, 10:48 AM
I am a bit confused. Your club has awards for people who log 500 miles in a month?

About how many members do that per month?

If I remember correctly about 20-25 members qualify. I accomplished it two years ago (515 miles) but my father-in-law was terminally ill last year so I did not make it. If I remember correctly, the calendar fell so that two years ago there were 10 Tuesday/Thursday training ride days and there was no rain so I made them all.

The award is only for May and is an Indianapolis 500 theme, get it, 500 miles. To clarify only club rides count which are weekly training and weekend (usually 1 each on Saturday and Sunday along with a Saturday morning breakfast ride that is extended in May to help riders qualify for the award) rides. So you could ride 500+ miles in May and would not qualify if none of those miles were "club ride" miles. Because of the club mile restriction only a few riders were able to get that many miles so the award was modified to 500 miles or 500 kilometers (312) miles in May. The award is really an incentive to get riders motivated to put in early season miles and attend club rides.

I usually get 8, 33-mile training rides, depending on how the calendar falls, and then try to get in at least one 60+ mile ride every weekend. Since I missed last evening's training ride I will have to double up on one of the next two weekends or ride a really long weekend ride, which I was planning to do soon anyway since I am training for RAIN.