PDA

View Full Version : Are you kidding me? tour of california rant

MattTuck
05-18-2010, 06:00 PM
This is absolutely ridiculous (yesterday, they don't broadcast because of rain... ok, not their fault, can't control the weather.)

Now today, they cut the race off at 2.4 km left!!! for what? the NHL pregame.

***?

mtb_frk
05-18-2010, 06:02 PM
I dont even see the link on their webpage. Sure I can watch a interview, but not really what I want to see right now. :crap:

ThasFACE
05-18-2010, 06:07 PM
The finish was online at www.amgentourofcalifornia.com. They announced the switch with a few minutes to go on the tv broadcast.

mcteague
05-18-2010, 06:07 PM
VS could not run 5 minutes into a hockey game so we could see the finish of the stage??? I go to www.amgentourofcalifornia.com, as Phil tells us to do, and the site is down. Arrrgghhh.

Tim

MattTuck
05-18-2010, 06:08 PM
The finish was online at www.amgentourofcalifornia.com. They announced the switch with a few minutes to go on the tv broadcast.

Yes, I went there. Along with all the others viewing probably, no link to view the video. the site was super slow to load.

Versus, you disappoint me.

gone
05-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Pretty much shows where cycling stands in the grand scheme of things. I mean cutting away for a game might be acceptable but for a friggin' pregame show?

MattTuck
05-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Pretty much shows where cycling stands in the grand scheme of things. I mean cutting away for a game might be acceptable but for a friggin' pregame show?

Yeah... that was just not cool. Hell, can't they do a picture in picture thing or something?

Oh well, perhaps we should send letters to versus.

ThasFACE
05-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Yes, I went there. Along with all the others viewing probably, no link to view the video. the site was super slow to load.

Versus, you disappoint me.
The 'race-live' link is what you wanted to click. It's up toward the top.

dvs cycles
05-18-2010, 06:20 PM
VS could not run 5 minutes into a hockey game so we could see the finish of the stage???

Not until ATOC brings in the sponsor $$$$$$$ that hockey and bull riding do.
Until then we just have to be satisfied with what ever crumbs drop onto our plates. :beer:

auto_rock
05-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Hey don't complain, it's even worse in the great white north.

dancinkozmo
05-18-2010, 07:57 PM
..so who won ??

MattTuck
05-18-2010, 08:00 PM
..so who won ??

Check cycling news. No spoilers unless the thread title says "spoilers"

Sorry, no disrespect meant.

results link (http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/5th-amgen-tour-of-california-2-hc/stage-3/results)

bshell
05-18-2010, 11:20 PM
Yeah, we're sitting in the best shop in Santa Cruz watching the amazing aerial footage of our county and right when they hit the 2k markers on West Cliff drive they just sign off because it's 4pm and there's a hockey pregame show on????

Total disbelief. Thanks VS.

RkyMtn
05-18-2010, 11:45 PM
If only we could get Google to be the sponsor, then we could have some $ pull AND get quality video streaming. One can hope, right? It worked for Obama!

soulspinner
05-19-2010, 04:48 AM
This is absolutely ridiculous (yesterday, they don't broadcast because of rain... ok, not their fault, can't control the weather.)

***?

+1-bullriding gets more respect.... :crap:

dancinkozmo
05-19-2010, 06:48 AM
Check cycling news. No spoilers unless the thread title says "spoilers"

Sorry, no disrespect meant.

results link (http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/5th-amgen-tour-of-california-2-hc/stage-3/results)

thanks for the linkage :)

dogdriver
05-19-2010, 07:03 AM
VS could not run 5 minutes into a hockey game so we could see the finish of the stage??? I go to www.amgentourofcalifornia.com, as Phil tells us to do, and the site is down. Arrrgghhh.

Tim

Couldn't agree more, except that it would have taken less than THREE MINUTES (!!!) to cover what was shaping up to be the most exciting finish to a bike race in recent memory. I mean, three BIG hitters, a possible sprint finish with no sprinters in attendance, they can't jockey for position because if they do the peloton will eat them up-- ARE YOU SH!##ING ME???

Money rules in this world, but methinks that the VS producer made a bad judgement on this one. My humble suggestion would be an email (OK, I'm 49 and would rather make a phone call or snail mail, but not one answers or reads either any more) from each person on this forum to VS and to the marketing department of a couple of the advertisers. If you are well-moneyed (lots of Serrottistas are, you know if you're one of these), give a general idea of your financial stature, the place of cycling in your and you social circle's life, and your enthusiasm for the increased coverage of elite cycling on US television. Then mention that they cut away from the equivalent of an NBA playoffs semifinal round game three overtime period with one minute left and a tie score in order to start an episode of Extreme Makeover on time (or something like that-- soccer would be a better metaphor, but they probably don't know what that is, either).

Can't check the "well-monied" box, but my complaint is in production.

***?, Chris

BurritoGuru
05-19-2010, 11:17 AM
This shows that versus is still an amateur run tv station. You never for any reason cut off a sports program at the end. If it runs over, that is to be expected.
If you want to leave feedback, here it is. It will help to prevent this from happening again.

feedback@versus.com

MattTuck
05-19-2010, 11:44 AM
This shows that versus is still an amateur run tv station. You never for any reason cut off a sports program at the end. If it runs over, that is to be expected.
If you want to leave feedback, here it is. It will help to prevent this from happening again.

feedback@versus.com

Thanks for the link. This is the response I got back. I bolded the key part. I feel for these guys, they're trying to run a sports network with the leftovers from ESPN and other major networks. And they did try to make it right as best they could within the confines of their contract.

Still, at the time, it was very frustrating. a bit like getting kicked in the baby maker.

Dear Matt,

Thank you for your email and we appreciate you taking the time to voice your concerns.

VERSUS, now in its fourth year of Amgen Tour of California coverage, always strives to offer the most in-depth and complete coverage for the premier U.S.-based cycling event. With any live sports telecast there is the possibility of an event running over its allotted on-air time, which was the case yesterday during Stage 3 of the race. Due to contractual agreements with the NHL, we were obligated to begin coverage of the Philadelphia Flyers/Montreal Canadiens Eastern Conference Final telecast.

In case of these circumstances, VERSUS followed the in-place contingency plan to show the conclusion of the stage online. For viewers who were not able to watch online, VERSUS aired a one-hour recap of Stage 3, including the race's finish, following the conclusion of the Chicago Blackhawks/San Jose Sharks Western Conference Final telecast. VERSUS will re-air the one-hour Stage 3 recap show today at 4 p.m. ET.

We apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to continuing to bring our top notch cycling coverage to the rest of this event and all the other races we telecast.

Again, thank you for your time and hope that you continue to watch VERSUS' coverage of the Amgen Tour of California as Stage 4 gets underway today.

Sincerely,

VERSUS

Honey
05-19-2010, 11:49 AM
no other support combines stupidity with animal abuse in quite the same way. It is truly impressive

BurritoGuru
05-19-2010, 03:31 PM
I received the same response, but their response does not matter. They knew the contract with the NHL. They could have just talked with them to delay the NHL game 10 minutes. The race was in its last 2km!!
The NHL game actually ran long and cut into the 1 hour rebroadcast. Versus made a mistake and planned very poorly. They need to own up on that.
Everyone who watches sports knows the first 15 minutes of a sports broadcast is fluff.
Versus website could not even handle the traffic!!

KKevin
05-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Well this is the second day where Versus' coverage has messed up.

Today My DVR stopped before the stage finished up. Thats less their fault than yesterday though.

I just noticed that its more of the same for tomorrow NHL hockey on after the TOC coverage.

hairylegs
05-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Funny, cause I'm a hockey fan too....but I was super pissed as well! I was watching on my DVR on the bike trainer, then ran to the computer to punch in the URL...and they already had the article up with the winner! No video for me! Oh well.

rugbysecondrow
05-19-2010, 06:50 PM
It is all about dollars and viewers. The NHL playoffs have been a big deal this year and cycling is such a niche sport with very few followers. I could only name two or three cyclists if I had to.

They have these contracts negotiated well in advance and there is no wiggle room. Sorry, thems the breaks.

I received the same response, but their response does not matter. They knew the contract with the NHL. They could have just talked with them to delay the NHL game 10 minutes. The race was in its last 2km!!
The NHL game actually ran long and cut into the 1 hour rebroadcast. Versus made a mistake and planned very poorly. They need to own up on that.
Everyone who watches sports knows the first 15 minutes of a sports broadcast is fluff.
Versus website could not even handle the traffic!!

Bud_E
05-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Well this is the second day where Versus' coverage has messed up.

Today My DVR stopped before the stage finished up. Thats less their fault than yesterday though.

I just noticed that its more of the same for tomorrow NHL hockey on after the TOC coverage.

I learned my lesson from last year. I set the DVR so that it keeps recording for an extra half hour after the stage is scheduled to end ( hockey notwithstanding ).

BumbleBeeDave
05-20-2010, 06:34 AM
It is all about dollars and viewers.

It always has been. Why can't you guys just realize that cycling means next to nothing to the huge, vast, majority of sports fans in this country and therefore Versus? The only thing Versus gives a sh*t about is MAKING MONEY. Welcome to America.

BBD

Avispa
05-20-2010, 07:08 AM

***?

Yeah... And I was able to waht the Giro on that treacherous stage! Rain and mud!

There's American TV for ya!

..A..

fourflys
05-20-2010, 09:39 AM
I learned my lesson from last year. I set the DVR so that it keeps recording for an extra half hour after the stage is scheduled to end ( hockey notwithstanding ).

it's funny you mention this, my DVR stopped when the sprinters were about 20 yards from the finish line yesterday... and that was with it being set for 5 minutes after... now it's set for 15.

torquer
05-20-2010, 10:05 AM
it's funny you mention this, my DVR stopped when the sprinters were about 20 yards from the finish line yesterday... and that was with it being set for 5 minutes after... now it's set for 15.
That's a lesson learned for us viewers.
Another lesson that Versus missed out on (probably cause their crew was all born after 1968):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidi_Game

ahumblecycler
05-20-2010, 10:57 AM

No joke - I set mine for an extra hour especially for the TdF.