PDA

View Full Version : new shoes + new pedals = new pain

merlinmurph
05-18-2010, 05:40 PM
At the start of the season, I replaced my 12-year-old Sidis with a new pair of Sidi Genius (carbon sole), plus some new Keo pedals. Along with a bike fit, I got the cleats fitted by a great fitter. The first week was painful. I did a 40-miler and the last part of the ride was not fun. I was tempted to post a msg here on the forum, but figured it would be better to give them some time.

So, here we are at 1100 miles, and I'm still not liking these shoes. After a hilly 50-miler, my feet are hurtin' still. And when I take them off, I'm hobbling for awhile.

It feels like most of the pressure is on the outside of the foot rather than being equally distributed. I never had this issue with the old shoes and should probably try them again for a level set.

Any help? Ideas? Would inserts help?
Thanks,
Murph

MattTuck
05-18-2010, 05:50 PM
My only advice would be investigating new insoles. Many companies make them (specialized, superfeet, etc) and there are some that are heat moldable.

The only other thing (if you feel that the weight is on the outside) is perhaps a shim to try to balance that?

I've had problems with shoes and have never been completely happy with the various ones I've tried. The specialized that I use now are tolerable, so I'm keeping with them.

Best of luck.

Louis
05-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Were your original pedals also Keo, and the new ones just another pair of basically the same thing? Or did you use something completely different?

I think my first thing would be to try to isolate the problem - shoe or pedal?

(I'm guessing that the problem is the shoes, but you never know.)

Bud_E
05-18-2010, 06:01 PM
FWIW I had a pair of shoes (Shimanos) that caused me exquisite pain on the outsides of my feet on rides over 50 miles. Getting wider shoes solved my problems. I guess that on longer rides my feet would swell just enough that the shoes became too tight. Most cycling shoes have little or no "give".

Having said that, your problem may be completely different.

Ti Designs
05-18-2010, 06:09 PM
My suggestion would be to grab the old shoes (the wear on the cleats is an indication of what's really going on) and the new shoes and bike, and work out the problems with your fitter. Those fitters who are serious about what they do would like to know if there are problems going forward, and would like to know that their clients are doing well on their bikes...

Smiley
05-18-2010, 06:11 PM
check your pm as I hear your pain Smiley

dekindy
05-18-2010, 07:13 PM
http://www.shoeschool.com/shoeschool/lasts/shoe_lasts_what.html

You may have purchased a shoe with a different last. Don't feel bad. My Serotta trained fitter made the same mistake. You may have to sell them and get something that fits.

Try on lots of shoes at the same store and do this simple test. Raise your heels slightly off the floor and hold that position. After awhile if something is going to hurt you will know it. The shoe that does not hurt something on your foot is the correct shoe. This works and made my difficult decision very easy, because I had tried on lots of shoes and could not make up my mind.

I did this and it worked like a charm. I found a pair of Sidi's that felt good and some Diadora Speedracer's that were on closeout that felt great so I went with the much less expensive Diadora's. I was also lucky enough to find the same model on closeout at Bike Nashbar for an even lower closeout price than the LBS price. They were black instead of white with red accents but I purchased them because they fit well!

merlinmurph
05-18-2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. I'm finally starting to feel good riding and the shoes are becoming an issue. I've got a few things to try, we'll see what works.

Murph

Dave
05-19-2010, 07:24 AM
Pressure on the outside of the foot sounds like you need some Lemond Wedge cleats shims. One or more shims with the thicker side on the inside may fix your problem.

zap
05-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Carbon Sidi soles are quite different from other Sidi models, especially 12 year old Sidi's. That coupled with new pedals and cleats with greatly reduced play can be a problem for some. If your old pedals were Looks, stack height is lower as well.

Good advice regarding wedges and insoles (I like Specialized). Also cleat position, make sure they are back 5-10mm. I had the same problem you describe and wedges, insoles and cleat back solved my foot pain no matter which cycling shoes (have 3 different ones) I wear or pedals I use.

It's also possible your feet now prefer some lateral play due to worn cleats. SPD-SL's are an excellent pedal.

Jim Braley
05-20-2010, 07:41 AM
I have had some of the same issues that you describe in the past and currently use Sidi carbon shoies and Shimano Dura Ace Pedals. I now use yellow Superfeet all of the time and these insoles truly work, all my past pains are now gone and no issues. Could also be the last/width of the shoes or you may have them fastened too tight which can compress the nerves and give you all kinds of pain and numbness or tingling also