PDA

View Full Version : Campy wheel maintainence

r_mutt
05-18-2010, 03:57 PM
i've got a set of 08 campy zondas with 2500 miles on them. is it time for a freshening up? what should i do or have done by my mechanic to maintain them? i'd like to get this done now, and not worry about my wheels for the rest of the season.

thus far, they've only had to be true once.

petitelilpettit
05-18-2010, 04:26 PM
i've got a set of 08 campy zondas with 2500 miles on them. is it time for a freshening up? what should i do or have done by my mechanic to maintain them? i'd like to get this done now, and not worry about my wheels for the rest of the season.

thus far, they've only had to be true once.

You are probably due for some hub work. My guess is some new bearings, and make sure to check the wear on the cups and cones.

For trueness, you're good.

Pettit

jemoryl
05-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Bearings at 2500 miles (he says after checking his Protons after about 10k and finding them as smooth as ever)?

AngryScientist
05-19-2010, 11:22 AM
2500 miles is really nothing. as long as the bearings spin smoothly, there is no lateral play in the wheel, and its true, dont touch them.

John M
05-19-2010, 12:06 PM
I agree that the bearings may need no maintenance, but if you ride through the winter in salt/slush or in lots of rain, the bearings might need maintenance at less that every 1000 miles.

If they are smooth and with no play, you are good. If there is any roughness, then a regrease, with possible bearing replacement is in order.

rustychain
05-19-2010, 01:26 PM
I serviced my Boras at 10000 miles and the were still smooth as silk. Some new grease and good to go. 2500 miles is what I do in two months, you would have to be riding in some very bad conditions to worry about bearing wear. I would inspect for play however. Easy to adjust. Almost 20000 miles on them now. I guess it's time again.

djg
05-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Dunno, but I had a set of Eurus that went another season or two more than your wheels, and definitely more than 2500 miles, before I had to touch 'em.

I'd say the other advice is sensible. You could have your shop take a look, but if it's all smooth and there's no unwanted play or slop (and the wheel's true, etc.), then maybe just keep riding and leave them alone. If something seems amiss -- or getting that way -- then by all means check it out.