PDA

View Full Version : Fixies

dbrk
03-29-2005, 04:38 PM
It's a good time of year to ride fixed or singler. As far as I can tell, anytime is a good time. To that end the last run of somewhat paint-deficient Kogswells is gone (I believe...), the proprietor Mr Grimm having decided to blow them out because of his own dissatisfaction with the paint. Kogswell makes a wonderful bike with track ends (they are, after all, not dropouts, of course). Rivendell will likely order 100 more Quickbeams which are, as complete bikes, an incredible spec and value, though folks should expect to pay a bit more than $1300. However, this was the message today from Grant:
"Probably no changes to the frame itself--it seems perfect, and can do
everything it needs to do. Maybe a color change, just to throw some life
into the new batch, although we here love that green.
Probably a price increase, but we'll keep it minimal. At $1300 Quickbeam
broke all records for unprofitability. We'll see how that goes.
Anyway, it's unlikely that anybody reading this DOESN'T have one, but if
that's the case, and you WANT one, please, please get your name on the list,
put down $100 non-refundable...so we can place the order without fear of
getting stuck with too many of them."

The QB, ime, is the most versatile singler ever built: clearances, eyelets, details, details...

Most would like to get into fixed/singlespeed riding for cheap and there are a million ways to do great conversions (see sheldonbrown.com, et.al.) and plenty of curbside finds but it would be hard indeed to match a complete bike this beautifully made at this price.

So this was just a head's up to all good folk who are interested in such things. My QB is in a funky periwinkle color and I should post pictures. It's not the Nagasawa for beauty (pictures soon!!!) but it has a million times more clearance for tires and fenders (not that you would do that to the Nag, which was not so conceived). Anyway, just a thought.

See ya'all later. I'm goin' to teach me some Sanskrit...

dbrk

spiderman
03-29-2005, 04:46 PM
nice to hear from you...
...now that i've recovered...
i'll read your message at my leisure...

coylifut
03-29-2005, 05:22 PM
there was some one on the forum who's mission is to convert all cyclists to fixed. You guys should hook up to discuss strategy.

Smiley
03-29-2005, 06:15 PM
I just picked up a 58 G Kogswell , it has already been shipped out to get the powder coat stripped and a new Red imoron paint applied . My plan is to build this one up with Tandem T217 rims so I can use FAT tires and ride it till the sun sets . The Geometry on this bike suits me well and it comes with a head tube extension . As of now I am planning on letting Sandy ride my Old Raleigh untill I decide to sell or keep 2 fixee's . Thanks for the heads up dbrk .

Too Tall
03-30-2005, 07:58 AM
Smiley man that's a GREAT plan. Hey, from what I know T217's won't buy you much of anything except a taller braking surface. Second...do I get to build this thing?
Oops, it's wrong to dis your choice with out offering a good solution. So...if your plan is to ride 28's? Than you can use darn near any excellent road rim. More than 32 ish start thinking about a Velocity rim. But you aren't going to run anything that big are you really?