PDA

View Full Version : Crashing/Jens Voigt

thwart
05-18-2010, 07:05 AM
Good article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/18/sports/cycling/18cycling.html

veloduffer
05-18-2010, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Jens has been a fav rider of mine - the consummate professional that is respected and well liked. I was glad to see him back on the bike after that crash.

Climb01742
05-18-2010, 08:42 AM
i love the line about still being able to do the important things...like eating sushi. just gotta love the guy.

gone
05-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Good article and exactly what I would have expected from Jens. He's always been one of my favorite riders. Even if I'd never heard of him, he would still get major props from me for the stage in the Giro a few years ago when he let his breakaway partner win the stage saying "he did more of the work, he deserved the win". Riis was furious (no surprise there) but Voigt is truly a class act.

pdmtong
05-18-2010, 10:03 AM
I got to ask Jens about this in person 1:1 at a saxo bank function last thursday. he is truly a remarkable person, especially considering he was indoctrinated in the "old training school" ways. he is also very persoanble. listenining to his responses, he came across as the kind of person you'd love to have for a friend or a neighbor. as a roder, he is awesome.

gone
05-18-2010, 10:12 AM
I was at the Giro a few years ago during the time trial. I hung out for a while near the area where the CSC team truck was and the riders were warming up getting ready for their turn to go out. They'd ride over to the start so I stationed myself along the route they would take and would call out "good luck" when they came by. Bobby Julich completely ignored me as he rode past. Jens stopped and chatted for a few seconds (asked where I was from and if I was on vacation).

MattTuck
05-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks for posting.

Definitely a class act. It says a lot about him that he is such a fighter and competitor, but also in the heat of the moment, has such a great sense of fairness.

Seems like a guy who just loves racing bikes. I can drink to that, or eat sushi to it, too.