PDA

View Full Version : The White Unicorn

weisan
03-29-2005, 03:46 PM
This one is not mine, but I spotted the rare sighting this morning on FixedGearGallery (http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2005/mar/MichaelKreiser.htm).

I have to concentrate hard on my breathing, and keep talking to myself in case I pass out. When I did regain full consciousness, I found excess fluid mysteriously appearing on my desk.

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2005/mar/MichaelKreiser-1.jpg
It's a Schwinn '62 Paramount (track).

Someone asked before, what makes a bike special?

I have to jump up and down, and say: "Yes! yes!...This ONE!!!"

Simple, elegant, nothing to add, nothing to subtract.

Kevan
03-29-2005, 03:53 PM
Beautiful!

PanTerra
03-29-2005, 04:12 PM
Maybe a carbon fork.

coylifut
03-29-2005, 05:23 PM
even with the dum-*** cow horns

M_A_Martin
03-29-2005, 06:55 PM
You gotta watch that excess fluid appearing on your desk...I didn't think it was legal to do that in the work place...

;)

interesting bike.

Too Tall
03-30-2005, 07:45 AM
She's purty.
I gots issues with radial lacing those particular hubs however.

weisan
03-30-2005, 10:41 AM
She's purty.
I gots issues with radial lacing those particular hubs however.

Tall-pal, that's interesting. Care to share why? I have a feeling I could learn something here. Thanks! ;)

Ginger, shame on you, what were you thinking, it's just some pretty harmless but yarky drool. :p

Too Tall
03-30-2005, 11:20 AM
If my watery eyes are correct these are modern Campy high flange track set which I'll assume are nearly same (front anyway) as the road set. Aside from a good pal of mine breaking the flanges off his Campag high flange road hubs of same vintage I've heard of numerous warnings that these are suspect for heavy use. These warnings and seeing a hub radially laced that is not designed for such gave me a start.

Examples of hubs that take radial lacing fine incl.: new DA, Shimano XTR/XT.

Personally I like how front radial looks and use that on my mtn' bike commuter stricly for "show" and ran an old DA front radial wheel on wife's race bike for eons. So I don't have a problem with radial lacing...just want to see it done right.

weisan
03-30-2005, 11:36 AM
I see, thanks for responding Tall-pal. Somehow I felt like we are just scratching the surface as far as gathering up your wealth of knowledge and wisdom. It's kinda like the soap dispenser, you can't get enough of it on your hands with one squirt. :D :banana: :beer: