PDA

View Full Version : Race Across America Movies

dekindy
05-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Bicycle Dreams was the first video that I purchased and I highly recommend this documentary if you want to get more information on the Race Across America.
http://bicycledreamsmovie.com/

Because I had purchased Bicycle Dreams, I recently received an e-mail that the previous documentary was being released on DVD.
http://raceacrossamericamovie.com/

I have found both these presentations to be informative and entertaining and recommend them if you have an interest in ultra long distance cycling or RAAM.

gone
05-17-2010, 12:50 PM
I enjoyed Bicycle Dreams very much also but was much saddened seeing the footage about Bob Breedlove being killed. I "knew" him - encountered him once on a ride - and he was a nice guy and an awesome long distance cyclist.

dekindy
05-17-2010, 01:12 PM
I enjoyed Bicycle Dreams very much also but was much saddened seeing the footage about Bob Breedlove being killed. I "knew" him - encountered him once on a ride - and he was a nice guy and an awesome long distance cyclist.

Apparently a cyclist was killed the year before the Race Across America documentary was filmed. RAAM says the race is safe on their website with no reference to fatalities. I am surprised someone has not been wrecked by an animal while riding at night, especially in the mountains.

gone
05-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Apparently a cyclist was killed the year before the Race Across America documentary was filmed. RAAM says the race is safe on their website with no reference to fatalities. I am surprised someone has not been wrecked by an animal while riding at night, especially in the mountains.
After Breedlove's death the rules were changed so that a follow car is required to be with the riders at all times. I would guess the additional lighting from behind at night would make it somewhat safer. Also, having someone nearby in the event of an accident or health problem can only help.

kenw
05-18-2010, 12:02 AM

I was on a Pac-Tour Northern Tier ride in early-90s, west to east. He joined the ride in mid-Minnesota, rode to the east coast, picked up a crew and rode to L.A., turned around and rode RAAM. So, 2-1/2 times xc in a few weeks. "Awesome" might not be a strong enough word.

sn69
05-18-2010, 10:19 PM
You always have to be in the headlights of your follow vehicle, you have to have lights and reflective gear, you cannot backtrack on the course, etc. They learned a painful lesson.

As for animals, I was hit in the chest full-on by an owl in Ohio during Team RAAM 2006. I stayed upright, which I credit to the general rubbery, woozy state I was in by that time. Saw lots of foxes, coyotes, bunnies, etc. Still, nothing made contact except for that owl. Scared me awake, that's for sure.

Scott

dekindy
05-19-2010, 08:18 AM
I was on a Pac-Tour Northern Tier ride in early-90s, west to east. He joined the ride in mid-Minnesota, rode to the east coast, picked up a crew and rode to L.A., turned around and rode RAAM. So, 2-1/2 times xc in a few weeks. "Awesome" might not be a strong enough word.

This was before the year that Bob Breedlove was killed. BB was killed the year that Bicycle Dreams was made. A young cyclist from Colorado on a 4-man team was killed by a semi on a remote stretch that they said maybe had one vehicle an hour traffic. Brett Palin? I believe was his name.