PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel "resistance" after crash?

mcooley
05-17-2010, 06:06 AM
This weekend during a race someone behind me made contact with their front wheel on the left side of my rear wheel; near the hub and quick-release lever. Subsequently, when it came to the last couple of turns and final sprint I experienced this "intermittent resistance" that felt like either the rim was bent or the brake pads were rubbing. I have inspected both and they seem fine, while, still, when I get out of the saddle and apply force I can still feel intermittent resistance.

Any thoughts? The force of the collision was enough to make my bike hop or skip, so, maybe something happened to the bearing in the rear wheel? The resistance isn't constant but rather a slight warped feel. Wheels are 3 week old Mavic Ksyrium SL's.

Or maybe I am crazy.

Thanks

thegunner
05-17-2010, 06:42 AM
i mean, you can test your hypothesis by opening the calipers. the tolerances on rims are quite small, and even a slight bump could change the tension of singular spokes, leading to a bit more flex at a point on the rim. might want to check spoke tensions too!

chuckred
05-17-2010, 09:10 AM
This weekend during a race someone behind me made contact with their front wheel on the left side of my rear wheel; near the hub and quick-release lever. Subsequently, when it came to the last couple of turns and final sprint I experienced this "intermittent resistance" that felt like either the rim was bent or the brake pads were rubbing. I have inspected both and they seem fine, while, still, when I get out of the saddle and apply force I can still feel intermittent resistance.

Any thoughts? The force of the collision was enough to make my bike hop or skip, so, maybe something happened to the bearing in the rear wheel? The resistance isn't constant but rather a slight warped feel. Wheels are 3 week old Mavic Ksyrium SL's.

Or maybe I am crazy.

Thanks

I got hit that way once, and it bent the dropout and derailleur hanger just enough to put things out of alignment...

amy
05-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Take your wheel off the bike and you can figure out by spinning it in your hands if it's your hub. Your fingers should be sensitive enough to feel if there's a rough spot.

A fairly minor bump in the right place can throw your hub out of adjustment. Might not even be damaged per se but just tight enough to get some resistance. That could result in intermitant resistance.. If i tighten my cranks town a little too much, they have resistance in only one spot - samew ith my headset - I chalk it up to tiny imperfections in the bearings. Same could be true for your wheel.

mcooley
05-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has had experience adjusting the resistance on the hub of these Mavic Ksyrium SL's? I understand that turning them in either direction (with that tool they come with) increases or decreases the resistance but it's not as though they stop in either direction, so, it seems that by adjusting them right or left you find some spot in the middle that allows them to roll nicely?

Anyhow, I made sure the break pads are equal distances apart from the rim, also, is it normal to have some "lateral" play of the wheels when I move them from side to side? As opposed to not moving at all?

As far as the bearings I will have to see if the problem persists. I guess it is possible they got damaged from the collision but that does seem less likely than the quick-release not holding the wheel correctly after the incident.

Thanks again!

amy
05-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Anyhow, I made sure the break pads are equal distances apart from the rim, also, is it normal to have some "lateral" play of the wheels when I move them from side to side? As opposed to not moving at all?

No. You should not be ANY side to side movement in your wheel. That is a sign that your hub is loose. I am not sure how to adjust those particular hubs, but sounds like you have somewhat of any idea. You want them tight enough that there is NO side to side movement, but they still spin freely without any resistance.

However, If you have been riding them loose for a while, it may have damaged the bearings, in which case it will be impossible to get them tightend down and still spinning perfectly smooth.

David Kirk
05-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Seems at least possible that you bent the axle.

Dave

mcooley
05-17-2010, 02:18 PM
If it's the axle wouldn't it be noticeable by spinning the wheel on the bike stand? I don't see any wobble or movement there.

David Kirk
05-17-2010, 02:57 PM
If it's the axle wouldn't it be noticeable by spinning the wheel on the bike stand? I don't see any wobble or movement there.

If the axle is bent the wheel will still spin true. It might make the rim sit to one side or the other in frame but it will still spin true.

Take the wheel out and slowly spin the axle on one side and very carefully watch the other side. It it's bent the axle will wobble back and forth.

dave

mcooley
05-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Thanks, I don't see any wobble. I don't think I am crazy, yet!

David Kirk
05-18-2010, 09:40 AM
So -

* the wheel is centered between the stays
* there is no sign of the tire rubbing either of the chainstays
* the wheel is true and the spokes are tight as they should be
* the axle is not bent
* the wheel spins freely when you hold the wheel in your hands
* the wheel spins freely when clamped into the frame

If all of the above is true then I'd say that if you have a problem it's not caused by the wheel.

What kind of frame is it? Have you inspected the frame for issues?

dave

mcooley
05-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Yeah, all those seem right, so, the frame is a Litespeed titanium. I know when he hit me the chain stay was probably a part of that contact. I don't see any issues but I guess it could be so fine that I wouldn't. I am going to try and ride today so maybe I will be able to notice something more while out there. The resistance is only felt while picking up speed or sprinting.

thwart
05-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Boy, it sure sounds like a bad spoke... only rubs when you torque on the wheel...

Or a fractured chainstay.

mcooley
05-18-2010, 09:16 PM
This is getting frustrating. I took it into the LBS and they saw nothing wrong with the internals of the rear hub. I took it out and same problem, plus, the freewheel sound has now disappeared!

jmc22
05-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Have you tried a different wheel to see if the problem is still there?