PDA

View Full Version : first time using CO2 for a tire puncture and...

gemship
05-16-2010, 10:45 AM
I just wanted to say it went great without a hitch. I carry this little kit made by Genuine Innovations, comes in a nice little bag that I carry in the middle back pocket of my cycling jersey and it has two rather overly flexible plastic tire levers,a adapter for the CO2 cartridge and two cartridges plus a patch kit. I actually don't carry the patch kit as it didn't make much sense to me, instead I carry a spare tube in another pocket of my jersey.

I had bought the kit from my lbs. two years ago when I purchased the bike new but this was the first time in two years and 1200 miles that I had a flat in the middle of a ride plus I never used a CO2 inflater. I must say I was impressed. Almost broke a tire lever but with a bit of finesse I broke the initial sticky tire bead just fine. I was a bit nervous with over inflating so I let up on that just to be safe and rode the remaining 11 miles home on a little less tire pressure in the rear. It was very good though actually a more forgiving ride with less air and no real loss of speed just more perceivable effort.

I also have to say there were many riders today on this sunny Sunday ride and just about everyone was willing to stop as they asked if I needed help. Very nice indeed.

MattTuck
05-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Yep! CO2 is a quick and easy way to inflate tires.

It is what I carry exclusively for inflation. 3 CO2 cartridges, a tube, and a patch kit.

If I were doing rides longer than 20-40 miles at a time, I'd think about carrying a pump, as they never run out of pressure. I do a carry a phone, so that is my back up plan, or begging passers by.

gemship
05-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I don't have a cell phone. Yet anyway. It was funny a lady cyclist passing by asked if I needed help and said that all she carried was a phone for emergencies like these. :p

thwart
05-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Remember to refill the tire with air, as the CO2 leaks out over the next day or two...

palincss
05-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Yep! CO2 is a quick and easy way to inflate tires.

If you're lucky. I've seen a CO2 inflator explode, parts flying everywhere, I've seen CO2 freeze an innertube which then shattered like glass into a hundred little shards, I've seen a CO2 cartridge just fail inexplicably and that was the only one the guy had.

If I stop to help somebody with a flat tire I'm not going to let them use CO2. Last time I did (the explosion) I ended up spending 45 minutes helping the guy. That's not going to happen again.

rugbysecondrow
05-16-2010, 03:51 PM
If I was in a race where time was an issue (tri) I would use a CO2, but I bring a small crank brother pump that its only about 25% bigger than a CO2 system for a normal ride.

djg21
05-16-2010, 04:02 PM
I do wish someone would come up with one that is refillable or somehow reuseable!

vqdriver
05-16-2010, 04:29 PM
i carry this

http://www.rei.com/product/793154?preferredSku=7931540012&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-7931540012&mr:trackingCode=E1A3A1E3-F810-DF11-BAE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

co2 for "non-eventful" flats. pump to back me up in case i blow the cartridge or if i get a second.

palincss
05-16-2010, 04:30 PM
I do wish someone would come up with one that is refillable or somehow reuseable!

It's called "a pump".

djg21
05-16-2010, 07:38 PM
It's called "a pump".

Thank you master of the obvious!

And no it isn't! CO2 cartridges work much better and faster, and are far more convenient than any pump I've ever used. I just don't like the fact that they are not particularly sound from an environmental standpoint. Too many people throw them on the ground when they are empty, and there is obviously an expenditure of energy involved in the manufacturing process (though I question whether the typical plastic pump is any better). Not that I'm a green fanatic, but I would be delighted if a cartridge were available that could be refilled with some sort of compressor and then reused.

amy
05-17-2010, 02:19 AM
CO2 is great.. most of the time. I don't have the patience (and have trouble getting enough pressure) for a small travel pump.

But let me tell you... if youre not careful, you can freeze your finger sto your valve when you inflate. Never let those things touch your bare skin and if your gloves are wet, try to use something else to unscrew from the valve.

I also doubt you will overinflate a tire with your co2 cartridge, but it depends on the size of your cartridge. The small ones seem to only fill up to about 85-90 psi it seems.