PDA

View Full Version : skeleton caliper disassembly...

dookie
05-15-2010, 11:20 AM
i just got an '07/08 chorus front caliper that needs some love. see p59 here. (http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/Spares08_B_1007.pdf)

my question is how to get the center (mounting) bolt out. see the exploded subassembly diagram in the bottom right of the page referenced above. the shaft and nut in BR-CH304 seem to be inseparable. yes, i removed the grub screw locking the nut to the shaft. still wont budge. put the nut flats in a vice and tried to turn the center both both directions using increasing amounts of force, until i bent the allen. currently soaking in liquid wrench.

why? the caliper is super stiff and i want to get to the pivot bearings for the right-side caliper arm. have already overhauled the left side bearings and it made a *world* of difference.

any advice appreciated...

martinrjensen
05-15-2010, 12:55 PM
It's minor but I don't think that's called a skeleton caliper. Might make a difference when you are asking for help.
it's looks like the old caliper design to me. the pictures of the skeleton design that I have seen look completely different.

dookie
05-15-2010, 02:36 PM
p59 clearly says 'chorus d skeleton'...

martinrjensen
05-15-2010, 03:55 PM
I thought that the first page of the PDF file opened up to your calipers and didn't go to page 59 as you specified. I didn't realize that the PDF file was all the brake models. I stand corrected, and I might add, those look like the skeleton brakes that I was thinking about.
Sorry I can't help you out with your question. In the diagram the front assembly clearly looks to have a removable shaft. (It looks like the rear assembly does not come out though)p59 clearly says 'chorus d skeleton'...

Gothard
05-16-2010, 02:38 AM
i just got an '07/08 chorus front caliper that needs some love. see p59 here. (http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/Spares08_B_1007.pdf)

my question is how to get the center (mounting) bolt out. see the exploded subassembly diagram in the bottom right of the page referenced above. the shaft and nut in BR-CH304 seem to be inseparable. yes, i removed the grub screw locking the nut to the shaft. still wont budge. put the nut flats in a vice and tried to turn the center both both directions using increasing amounts of force, until i bent the allen. currently soaking in liquid wrench.

why? the caliper is super stiff and i want to get to the pivot bearings for the right-side caliper arm. have already overhauled the left side bearings and it made a *world* of difference.

any advice appreciated...

It is a M7 threaded rod with the bolt blocked by the small grub screw, and loctite. It will come off, but needs serious strength and /or heat. I would try freeing it wil WD40 followed by some chain lube first.
Also, measure the position of the nut on the axle before to reposition it as close to original as possible to avoid unwanted play that will cause a squealing brake

dookie
05-17-2010, 11:06 AM
thanks much...

a couple related ?s:

the front of the bolt has an allen key opening in it. is this a cap on the end of the shaft, or the end of the shaft itself? the campy diagram makes it look like it is the end of the shaft, and not a cap.

assuming not a cap, does the nut with the grubscrew come off going away from the caliper (as it would if normally threaded)? it must, as it can't go the other way since it's already backed up against the caliper. the threads in the shaft end immediately following the nut, then resume 10mm or so further down (for the fork mounting nut). are the two threaded sections different diameters?

finally, heat? seeing as the bearing carrier is plastic, that seems dicey. that said, no manner of soaking in all manner of solvents has softened the loctite enough. i'm still destroying allen keys...

Gothard
05-17-2010, 11:27 AM
The allen head is the end of the axle, no cap there.
Take two 6mm nuts that you block against each other on the 6mm part, then block these in a vise, and remove the nut from the 7mm part. It is standard threaded (lefty loosey).