PDA

View Full Version : David Byrne's Bike Racks

rounder
05-14-2010, 11:05 PM
I just read David Byrne's (Talking Heads) book The Bicycle Diaries. He talked about his travels around the world with a folding bike and what he sees there. It was a good book...not sex drugs and rock and roll. Along the way he gives his thoughts on urban planning and other stuff. At the end he showed pictures of some of the bike racks he designed for NYC. Some of them were pretty cool.

http://www.davidbyrne.com/art/bike_racks/index.php

Louis
05-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Neat. Thanks for posting.

gemship
05-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Yeah a friend had shared a link to that with me at least a year ago. It's cool, very cool. Hipster cool, he's got some new tunes too :beer:

oldmill
05-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Anyone know what kind of folder he rides? Just curious

rounder
05-15-2010, 09:56 PM
In the appendix to the book, he said that he liked full size folding bikes with suspension, since he is a guitar player and doesn't want to beat up his arms and hands when riding on cobbles, etc. He mentioned Montague and Dahon. I liked his description of his good bike...

I once got a really good bike, with expensive gears and brakes--the whole deal. But keeping it in tune and running smoothly was such a never-ending process that when it was eventually stolen (actually only the front half was stolen) I didn't bother to replace it.

auto_rock
05-15-2010, 10:00 PM
That's fantastic.