PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Dump SRAM Red??

oldguy00
05-14-2010, 07:03 PM
I couldn't resist trying it. Had it on my '09 TCR Advanced SL ISP for several months.
Gotta say, I hated the shifting from day one. It worked, but I couldn't get used to it. Then it seemed to perform worse as time went on. So I replaced the cables with Nokons, and that actually made it worse (not sure why). I hated my bike, couldn't stand the SRAM!
Switched to 7900 a couple of days ago. Took it for a ride. Pure bliss. Shifts perfect just like 7800. Bye bye Red, never again.

Charles M
05-14-2010, 07:07 PM
No...

I've done the opposite and Just bought another group Today...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/edgegravred.jpg

The last few project bikes have all been SRAM. So far they're easier to work with and I've not had any issues at all with product degredation

Have had no issues with Nokon either..

Used it on the last couple along with Red...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/charles/cyww2.jpg
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/serotta/meilarge.jpg
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/velovie/vvselarge2.jpg

Tossed in a little force for a while too...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/kuota/kuducrepsol.jpg

Not sure why your build had issues with both products but after a dozen bikes with it, I've had a total of zero...

oldguy00
05-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Who knows, all I know is that I came to hate my bike! :)

Charles M
05-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Hey nothings perfect for sure and D ace works damn well too. Happy is what it is!

Nice place to be and a great part of having 3 solid parts vendors now.

tuscanyswe
05-14-2010, 07:24 PM
I never had red. Ive tried it and dident care for it. Think the new force group looks kinda cheap :o

Tell me the story behind the ducati and the honda bikes, assuming there is one :)

Thats some sweet bikes you ride Pez!

rnhood
05-14-2010, 07:27 PM
I got rid of it, and replaced it with the new DA. I just could not live with the lack of refinement and noise.

Its a matter of personal preference though. Most of my riding is in the mountains and I'm changing gears a lot. I think this exacerbates the shifting issues with Red. Both 7800 and 7900 are precise, quiet and effortless for me.

jmc22
05-14-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm with Pez on this topic, I got rid of my Dura-ace a few years back & went with the Sram Red & Nokion cables on both my Cervelo's - that being said, I still run a Dura-ace 7900 cassette & chain as I think it shifts better & runs quieter – In my opinion.

Sorry you couldn't get yours dialed in.... :beer:

snah
05-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Just starting a build with Force, hope I like it like Pez. :beer:

Peter B
05-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Completely happy w/ RED on my Legend. Works great for me. Campy on anything else w/ gears.

jbrainin
05-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Yo, Pez: nice Gravitas brakes.

So whaddya think of them?

(sorry for the thread drift.)

gearguywb
05-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Tried Force...liked it soo much I switched all of my bikes :)!

Ti Designs
05-15-2010, 12:23 AM
I have a feeling that the Red group will be introduced and discontinued before my Dura-Ace 9-speed stuff wears out...

Bob Ross
05-15-2010, 05:23 AM
I got rid of my Dura-ace a few years back & went with the Sram Red & Nokion cables on both my Cervelo's - that being said, I still run a Dura-ace 7900 cassette & chain as I think it shifts better & runs quieter – In my opinion.

That's really funny: I've got a Shimano drivetrain on my bike, but I'm running a SRAM cassette & chain as I think it shifts better & runs quieter!

In my opinion, of course.

oldpotatoe
05-15-2010, 07:54 AM
I couldn't resist trying it. Had it on my '09 TCR Advanced SL ISP for several months.
Gotta say, I hated the shifting from day one. It worked, but I couldn't get used to it. Then it seemed to perform worse as time went on. So I replaced the cables with Nokons, and that actually made it worse (not sure why). I hated my bike, couldn't stand the SRAM!
Switched to 7900 a couple of days ago. Took it for a ride. Pure bliss. Shifts perfect just like 7800. Bye bye Red, never again.

We always had demo bikes with groups from the three manufacturers. Had people who didn't know which to choose ride all three and decide. Sold lots of Campagnolo followed by shimano(really like 7900 and 6700), sold zero sram. I think it is solidly in the OEM world, that is, coming on complete bicycles. Not so much if the bike starts as a frame at the bike shop. sram 'seems' less refined, FD action is definitely a distant 3rd place, regardless of Gore cables and such.

Gotta say sram warranties anything that breaks, regardless of age or circumstances. That's a great thing but it does make one wonder about their quality.

gemship
05-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Is it still the lightest available group?

nm87710
05-15-2010, 08:15 AM
i couldn't resist trying it. Had it on my '09 tcr advanced sl isp for several months.
Gotta say, i hated the shifting from day one. It worked, but i couldn't get used to it. Then it seemed to perform worse as time went on. So i replaced the cables with nokons, and that actually made it worse (not sure why). I hated my bike, couldn't stand the sram!
Switched to 7900 a couple of days ago. Took it for a ride. Pure bliss. Shifts perfect just like 7800. Bye bye red, never again.+1

Bob Loblaw
05-15-2010, 08:37 AM
I've been a shimano guy since the introduction of STI. I'm not an evangelist, but when all your wheels are Shimano and all your tools are Shimano, it makes sense to stick with it.

Recently I borrowed a SRAM Force bike and a Campy bike for long rides on successive days. The Campy works and I could get used to it (and will as I am in the process of buying a campy equipped bike). The Force I actively disliked for a couple of reasons.

1. If you're on the lowest gear, forget where you are and try to shift down, you will shift UP. I guess you could just train yourself to look down at the cassette before you shift or try to remember what gear you're in, but usually if I'm in the smallest gear I have other things on my mind. This is a big problem for me. Shimano and Campy will both just not let you shift.

2. Long lever throw. To shift up the cassette, you have to push the lever farther and harder than Campy or Shimano. It's a PITA when you're out of the saddle on a climb or in a sprint. Shimano and Campy both have shorter throws and lower lever effort.

3. Noisy. Each shift sounds like something back there is grinding itself to death or getting ready to to come apart, especially if it's under load (as on a climb).

4. Sluggish shifting. This is a result of the cassette design, I think, since my new SRAM cassette does the same thing on my Ultegra bike.

BL

TAW
05-15-2010, 09:25 AM
We always had demo bikes with groups from the three manufacturers. I think it is solidly in the OEM world, that is, coming on complete bicycles. Not so much if the bike starts as a frame at the bike shop. sram 'seems' less refined, FD action is definitely a distant 3rd place, regardless of Gore cables and such.

Gotta say sram warranties anything that breaks, regardless of age or circumstances. That's a great thing but it does make one wonder about their quality.

Our shop sells most bikes with SRAM or Shimano, and I work on these most of the time. I agree with oldpotatoe. SRAM is a little more noisy, to me doesn't shift as cleanly (esp. front) and will tolerate less cable problems.

Bruce K
05-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Used to be Shimano. Now all SRAM Red or Red/Force mix (usually FD and cassettes for cx) with the exception of my TT bike. It just wasn't worth changing over as there was virtually no difference.

Just my 2 cents (probably worth $0.005 :eek: )

BK

Charles M
05-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Yo, Pez: nice Gravitas brakes.

So whaddya think of them?

(sorry for the thread drift.)

They're the best brakes Ciamillo make. 160 grams with all hardware pads shoes etc and the stopping power of the Negative G (maybe better), good stiffness. It's these and EE brakes that make up the nicest stoppers in the aftermarket. (TRP 960 are really damn good and less money but dont hit the weight spec).