PDA

View Full Version : Way OT: What're y'all listening to these days?

bulliedawg
03-28-2005, 06:06 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, I can't get enough Johnny Cash these days. And I'm going crazy for old, old, old Ray Charles. Something about them dying makes them speak to me even more powerfully.

keno
03-28-2005, 06:08 PM
Led Zeppelin.

keno

PanTerra
03-28-2005, 06:11 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, I can't get enough Johnny Cash these days. And I'm going crazy for old, old, old Ray Charles. Something about them dying makes them speak to me even more powerfully.

Same goes for me when I listen to Mahler, Wagner, Stravinsky, Respigi,or Shostakovich.

93legendti
03-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Led Zeppelin.

keno

Me too. Disc of 3 of the original Zep Box Set....Achilles Last Stand and Ten Years Gone. Brilliant.

bulliedawg
03-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Same goes for me when I listen to Mahler, Wagner, Stravinsky, Respigi,or Shostakovich.

Ain't never heard of them.

dirtdigger88
03-28-2005, 06:33 PM

they do kids DVD's- my little one watches them all the time- I like the bald on the best

Jason

csb
03-28-2005, 06:33 PM
-

Big Dan
03-28-2005, 06:34 PM
Muse........... :)

RichMc
03-28-2005, 06:40 PM
Just picked up three new CD's:

Etta Baker with Taj Mahal
Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
Son Seals - Live and Burning

Last week car tunes were:

Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Bob Marley

dirtdigger88
03-28-2005, 06:40 PM
I sometimes listen to the voices in my head- but lately they are telling me to do bad things- do you think if I just did them the voices would stop?

jason

PanTerra
03-28-2005, 06:45 PM

That's ok, they are a little older than the dead guys you have been listening to. :beer:

e-RICHIE
03-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Q Lazzarus
over and over and over...

rePhil
03-28-2005, 07:15 PM
e-RICHIE, Where did you find it?

Ti Designs
03-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Blues at sunrise before I leave for my early morning ride, The sky is crying when it rains, Life by the drop before I go drinking. Ain't nothin more true than Stevie Ray playin the blues.

bulliedawg
03-28-2005, 07:21 PM
Q Lazzarus
over and over and over...

This thread is intended to help us find new stuff to listen to. Not to stump each other. Genre please. Thanks.

dehoopta
03-28-2005, 07:23 PM
My iPod Shuffle has been fully loaded with new John Mayer, Los Lonely Boys and Amos Lee. When feeling nostalgic, Queen, Rush, Boston, Chicago, The Doobies, Eagles and Stevie Ray

When in the car with my son, Veggie Tales

bulliedawg
03-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Blues at sunrise before I leave for my early morning ride, The sky is crying when it rains, Life by the drop before I go drinking. Ain't nothin more true than Stevie Ray playin the blues.

There's supposed to be a new SRV of previously unreleased songs...have you heard it? Do you recommend?

e-RICHIE
03-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Picshooter axed:, "e-RICHIE, Where did you find it?"

wha?
i keep my antenae up.

bulliedawg noted: "This thread is intended to help us find new stuff to listen to. Not to stump each other. Genre please. Thanks."

ack...
here, i'll make it convenient for you:
http://www.psyche-hq.de/goodbye-horses/
http://www.lyricscrawler.com/song/32984.html

Ti Designs
03-28-2005, 07:35 PM
There's supposed to be a new SRV of previously unreleased songs...have you heard it? Do you recommend?

That would make three since The Sky is Crying. Sounds like brother Jimmy is making a living off of Stevie's death. I've heard sessions recordings, but nothing I would release as an album. One of my favorite albums is a sessions album by Howlin Wolf, but Stevie's finished stuff is so polished that listening to random takes would be somehow wrong. SRV's career was what it was, they need let that be...

bulliedawg
03-28-2005, 07:38 PM
My iPod Shuffle has been fully loaded with new John Mayer, Los Lonely Boys and Amos Lee. When feeling nostalgic, Queen, Rush, Boston, Chicago, The Doobies, Eagles and Stevie Ray

When in the car with my son, Veggie Tales

Just checked out Amos Lee on amazon. Excellent. I will buy. John Mayer-ed out cause he lived in Atlanta, and he sounds too Dave Matthews-ish for me. What Los Lonely Boys do you recommend?

bulliedawg
03-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Picshooter axed:, "e-RICHIE, Where did you find it?"

wha?
i keep my antenae up.

bulliedawg noted: "This thread is intended to help us find new stuff to listen to. Not to stump each other. Genre please. Thanks."

ack...
here, i'll make it convenient for you:
http://www.psyche-hq.de/goodbye-horses/
http://www.lyricscrawler.com/song/32984.html

Thank you, Mr. Sachs.

Question: Are you going to Greensboro this year?

e-RICHIE
03-28-2005, 07:41 PM
yes

IFRider
03-28-2005, 07:46 PM
Soulive - Next
Medeski Martin and Wood - Univisible, End of the World Party
Ray Charles - Best of the Atlantic Years
Matthew Sweet - Living Things
Frank Zappa - You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore Volume 6
Ella Fitzgerald - Sings the Cole Porter Songbook
Lou Reed - New York
Cake - Pressure Chief
Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard (Great new Mastering)
Search em out on www.allmusic.com

Darrell
03-28-2005, 08:02 PM
All good stuff! Especially Mahler played at a decibel level that does the dusting for you :p
Then when the mood is :( then it's
"Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds"
When I am in the teenage mood, it's David Bowie :banana: , Iggy Pop :crap:
When I am in the :beer: it's "Madness" or "The Cure".

H.Frank Beshear
03-28-2005, 09:56 PM
Currently in the cd changer Sonia Dada, Drive by Truckers, Steve Earle ,Richard Shindell, Martin Sexton, and Ben Harper.

bulliedawg
03-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Currently in the cd changer Sonia Dada, Drive by Truckers, Steve Earle ,Richard Shindell, Martin Sexton, and Ben Harper.

Patterson Hood lives in my neighborhood. We walk our dogs together. I'll say HEY for you.

Tony Edwards
03-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Radiohead, Radiohead, Radiohead (esp. OK Computer)!

Other recent favorites:

Rated R - Queens of the Stone Age
Franz Ferdinand
Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
Speakerboxx/The Love Below - Outkast
Double Nickels on the Dime - the Minutemen
Sticky Fingers/Let It Bleed/Exile on Main Street - the Rolling Stones
and, every day, the Howard Stern Show

Carlo
03-28-2005, 10:25 PM
Something different? Check out "BONERAMA".
This eight piece New Orleans based "Brass/Funk fusion consists of: five trombones, a Sousaphone, one guitar, plus the legendary Russell Batiste on drums.

Standard fare is original compositions laced with inspired covers, such as: Led Zepplin's "Moby ****"; Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein"; Gregg Allman's "Whipping Post"; Hendrix's "Crosstown Traffic" and the Meter's "Funky Mirade".

No need to 'put the antennae up'. You can go here - http://www.bonerama.net/audio.html or you can pick up WWOZ New Orleans heritage radio streaming into your home through the miracle of the internet!

I was hooked the first time I heard "Frankenstein"! After I stopped laughing at the pure humor of doing it with trombones -- I couldn't get the brass out of my ears! You've got to love it -- even if you braze with silver!

Regards,
Carlo ("Put down the trombone and take two steps back") Carr

pale scotsman
03-28-2005, 10:25 PM
I've been listening to Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, Wooden Ships over and over for a couple weeks now in the car. My sorry *** tries to harmonize along with guinnevere and helplessly hoping.

I go through phases. Before that it was helmet and the cure, greatest hits. Lately I can't get nik kershaw's wouldn't it be good out 'o ma head... Then there was a ride a couple weeks back where I heard janis joplin's, me and bobby mcgee before the ride. Man that song'll stick with ya.

Carlo
03-28-2005, 10:28 PM
You've got to be kidding me! Holy Herman Melville! Moby **** got censored! How about Moby Penis? Moby Johnson? Maybe Moby Weener?

Regards,

Moby Carlo

slowgoing
03-28-2005, 11:18 PM
The comedy station. Just got sirius radio for my long a$$ commute.

dehoopta
03-28-2005, 11:22 PM
Just checked out Amos Lee on amazon. Excellent. I will buy. John Mayer-ed out cause he lived in Atlanta, and he sounds too Dave Matthews-ish for me. What Los Lonely Boys do you recommend?

I have their album of the same name. I saw them on Austin City Limits and really liked them. I just bought their "Live at the Filmore" which is nice too. Speaking of John Mayer AND SRV, I saw Mayer totally shred some SRV songs. He was amazing. He even did a set with Double Trouble playing back-up. It rocks better than his more sedate stuff.

:banana:

shinomaster
03-28-2005, 11:24 PM
The Garden State soundtract.

Jeff N.
03-28-2005, 11:31 PM
Me too. Disc of 3 of the original Zep Box Set....Achilles Last Stand and Ten Years Gone. Brilliant.You should get the DVD set of Zep in concert. Theres this one performance of John Bonham at Royal Albert Hall doing the Moby **** solo that will bring tears to your eyes. I'm lucky, I got to see The Mighty Zep several times back in the 70's when they were at The Forum in Los Angeles all the time. Now THATS a rock band! Jeff N.

Jeff N.
03-28-2005, 11:35 PM
That would make three since The Sky is Crying. Sounds like brother Jimmy is making a living off of Stevie's death. I've heard sessions recordings, but nothing I would release as an album. One of my favorite albums is a sessions album by Howlin Wolf, but Stevie's finished stuff is so polished that listening to random takes would be somehow wrong. SRV's career was what it was, they need let that be...SRV's death was such a loss. Why couldn't , say, Bon Jovi go down in a plane instead? Jeff N.

jerk
03-28-2005, 11:46 PM
the jerk's choices of late:
dEUS -suds and soda
these animal men-too sussed?
mission of burma-self titled
big black-songs about f^^king
the dwarves-free cocaine
s*m*a*s*h- lady love your c#nt
swans-(the jerk forgets the one with the teeth on the cover)

ipod rules. even if the jerk can't follow slava's advice and ride 35km/h for six hour...."you no need sprint. you big guy..just ride and listen to technotronic. you recovery when you sleep or with blow-job."

jerk

Rich_W
03-29-2005, 12:00 AM

Johnny was truly prolific.

I love the Johnny Cash tribute album... if you don't have it.... get it...
Track 7, Hank Williams Jr. doing Big River. Talkin about the Tenessee River...

In my Black Silverado Z71... the changer is sporting plenty of The Man in Black, Soundtrack of "Oh Brother Where Art Thou", Springsteen Greetings from Asbury Park, Ibrahim Ferrer, Stevie Wonder...

In my pimped Silver Audi, I'm running some Stones (Heroin Era: Exile, Goats Head) SRV, Jimi, some Clapton Blues... and maybe my girl's Pink CD.

Rich_W
03-29-2005, 12:09 AM
I have their album of the same name. I saw them on Austin City Limits and really liked them. I just bought their "Live at the Filmore" which is nice too. Speaking of John Mayer AND SRV, I saw Mayer totally shred some SRV songs. He was amazing. He even did a set with Double Trouble playing back-up. It rocks better than his more sedate stuff.

:banana:

F*cking A... and as a Stevie/Jimi-o-phile, and player myself... Mayer has some serious chops... Did you catch him do Axis:Bold as Love on that Tsunami special? He nailed it... tone and all. I got it saved on the Tivo.

I for one hope he puts out an album of his Stevie/Jimi stuff... I hate his other stuff... but definitely newfound respect.

shinomaster
03-29-2005, 12:33 AM
Antics! Rawks..

Wayne77
03-29-2005, 12:42 AM
In the Changer now:

Shudder To Think - Pony Express Record. Pure genius

Secret Machines - Now Here Is Nowhere. I've spun it a few times, liking it more and more

Wilco - Summerteeth. Good wistful driving music

Al Di Meola - The Infinite Desire

The Cult - Love

Favorite classical recording at present: Respighi, Pines of Rome/The Birds/Fountains of Rome, Telarc, Atlanta Symphony.

Wayne77
03-29-2005, 12:49 AM
Franz Ferdinand is great. The guitar work is very cool/original. Someone told me to check out check out Black Rebel Motorcyle Club but haven't had the chance yet. Supposed to be somewhat similar...

Radiohead, Radiohead, Radiohead (esp. OK Computer)!

Other recent favorites:

Rated R - Queens of the Stone Age
Franz Ferdinand
Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
Speakerboxx/The Love Below - Outkast
Double Nickels on the Dime - the Minutemen
Sticky Fingers/Let It Bleed/Exile on Main Street - the Rolling Stones
and, every day, the Howard Stern Show

Tom
03-29-2005, 06:12 AM
- Definitely checking out Bonerama. Thanks for the reminder.

- The Waybacks (sp.?) Album 'Way Live'. I'll risk it for the extra unnanounced cut - hot bluegrass morphs into superb rocking Purple Haze and the lyrics are from the Green Acres theme.
- Marc Broussard - again, find the album with 'Home' on it. Ecstatic N.O. swamp.
- Subdudes. Any of theirs.

In the car right now: The Full On Gospel of the Reverend Horton Heat for aggressive drives to work, 'Johnny's Blues' - all covers of the Man In Black - for better days, Anders Osborne and Big Chief Monk Boudreau: Bury The Hatchet. N.O.

William
03-29-2005, 06:31 AM
Robert Cray
Bela Fleck
SRV (I always listen to SRV)
Paul Simon
RL Burnside

William :cool:

cs124
03-29-2005, 06:43 AM
Interpol, Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party

Right now ... Urge Overkill

Ray
03-29-2005, 07:44 AM
I've been listening to Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, Wooden Ships over and over for a couple weeks now in the car. My sorry *** tries to harmonize along with guinnevere and helplessly hoping.

If memory serves (which it VERY well may not), Guinnevere and Helplessly Hoping are on the Crosby, Stills, and Nash album without Young, not the album with Young that has Wooden Ships on it.

On my mp3 rotation of late:

1/22/78 Eugene - Terrapin->Drums->Other One->Close Encounters->St. Steven-> Not Fade Away. FFFFUUUU@@@@KKKKin' A!. I was there - most amazing night of improvised music I've ever heard and the recording holds up REALLY well.

Amiee Mann - anything
Ben Harper - Burn to Shine
Richard Thompson - "Rumor and Sigh" and "Mock Tudor"
Replacements - anything
Coltrane - early '60s period
Sara McLauchlan - I'm a sucker for her, maybe I'm a lesbian?
SRV - anything
Stones - early '70s

-Ray

pale scotsman
03-29-2005, 09:08 AM
Hey Ray, you are right as I got the cd title wrong. The one I've been listening to is So Far which is a greatest hits up till '74.

BTW - Aimee Mann's Ulimate Collection is a great cd if you don't have it.

Linkin Park, Meteora pretty much rocks. Some great song transitions, lyrics, and, composition. Safe for the wee man too since it's pretty pc. Damn... faint rocks out in the altima. :beer:

If memory serves (which it VERY well may not), Guinnevere and Helplessly Hoping are on the Crosby, Stills, and Nash album without Young, not the album with Young that has Wooden Ships on it.

On my mp3 rotation of late:

1/22/78 Eugene - Terrapin->Drums->Other One->Close Encounters->St. Steven-> Not Fade Away. FFFFUUUU@@@@KKKKin' A!. I was there - most amazing night of improvised music I've ever heard and the recording holds up REALLY well.

Amiee Mann - anything
Ben Harper - Burn to Shine
Richard Thompson - "Rumor and Sigh" and "Mock Tudor"
Replacements - anything
Coltrane - early '60s period
Sara McLauchlan - I'm a sucker for her, maybe I'm a lesbian?
SRV - anything
Stones - early '70s

-Ray

Russell
03-29-2005, 09:19 AM
I've been listening to a lot of The Shins since watching Garden State. Also:

Bloc Party
Iron & Wine
The Frames
The Moaners (Melissa Swingle from Trailer Bride)

...and if I'm really depressed, Iggy Pop full blast

davids
03-29-2005, 09:48 AM
BTW - Aimee Mann's Ulimate Collection is a great cd if you don't have it.
If I'm remembering this correctly, Ms. Mann had nothing to do with the "Ultimate Collection" - someone else's profitting off her work. You probably know how jealous she is of her autonomy!

Man, so many kindered souls here! Matthew Sweet, "New York", Radiohead, Steve Earle, Mission of Burma, Wilco, Richard Thompson, and (my beloved) Replacements! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

I've been listening to the Clash, Sleater-Kinney, Outkast, "Ramones", and the Shins on the trainer recently. "London Calling" and "Stankonia" got me through some long, boring Sunday mornings in February...

I finally heard "American Idiot" last week while visiting friends in Oakland - Billy Joe Armstrong's kid goes to the same private school as their kids, making it the music of choice in the schoolyard. The record was great - I love it when punks mature well.

flydhest
03-29-2005, 09:50 AM
Wow, someone else who knows and likes Sonia Dada.

. . . and the northbound train ran over my very best hat, and you ain't thinkin' 'bout me, no you ain't thinkin' 'bout me, any more.

talk about a crummy day.

Kevan
03-29-2005, 10:16 AM
Ray Charles: and you want just a sample, go for the movie sound trac. It ain't Foxx, it's the real thing with great songs and Ray at diferent ages and times. Super terrific!

You guys mentioned some good tunes here's a couple of my fav's:

Aimee Mann - since she was mentioned, the cd with the doodoo on the cover - Bachelor No. 2

California Guitar Trio - pure accoustic guitar jazz/pop/classical (no vocal)

Delbert McClinton - Nothing Personal

Coltrane - Blue Train

Step aside boys... Miles Davis - before you buy a Beatle album, buy Kind of Blue

Richard Thompson - collection: Action Packed:...

Santana...

The Shins: Chutes too Narrow - fun stuff

The Sound Track of our Lives - Behind the Music

Stanley Turrentine - Sugar

The Wild Colonials - This Can't be Life

Classical: Wolfie, Antonio, Ludwig, Franz, Aaron, Claude... to name a few. What's Orff's first name? Not that I'd be a friend particularly.

SGP
03-29-2005, 10:17 AM
That would make three since The Sky is Crying. Sounds like brother Jimmy is making a living off of Stevie's death. I've heard sessions recordings, but nothing I would release as an album. One of my favorite albums is a sessions album by Howlin Wolf, but Stevie's finished stuff is so polished that listening to random takes would be somehow wrong. SRV's career was what it was, they need let that be...

i agree, remember in the 80's when all the crap recordings of Jimi H. came out? sometimes what hits the cutting room floor belongs there.

right now I am listening to the Complete Chess studio recordings of Buddy Guy.

PanTerra
03-29-2005, 10:49 AM
What's Orff's first name? Not that I'd be a friend particularly.
Carl

William
03-29-2005, 11:18 AM

I thought you would be listening to.....well......you know......Panterra? :confused:

William ;) :)

PanTerra
03-29-2005, 11:39 AM
I thought you would be listening to.....well......you know......Panterra? :confused:

William ;) :)

Funny you should mention that. PanTerra is my company name, I have the website in my profile. Being in the Dallas phone book, listed as "PanTerra Group, The", every once in a while I get a call by someone looking for "Pantera". They ask if this is really the group PanTera, I say this is The PanTerra Group. Then they ask well, which band member are you, I say I am one of the French Horn players. "Whoaah, Dude, didn't know pantera had French Horns."

-Steve

RichMc
03-29-2005, 12:49 PM
There is an amazing eclectic mix of music and styles that is being offered here. It's great that so many of you go for the blues and jazz. I play SRV all the time and my girl friend will still ask "Who's that?" Good thing I love her because that's just about grounds for divorce. Stanley Turrentine. How could I forget him? Salt Song & Mister T. Those are on vinyl stashed somewhere so I'll have to get some CD's. Miles Davis? I have Kind of Blue, Porgy & Bess, and Sketches of Spain. How's Miles Ahead? Any other MD recommendations?

I'm getting a little old but I still like a wide range of GOOD music. I know GOOD is highly subjective. I'd be interested in listening to GOOD current music. Does anyone have some recommendations for internet radio where I can listen before buying?

There just doesn't seem to be enough time to ride, listen & read. Work? You mean, Work? Oh yeah, that's what supports all of this other stuff.

Tom
03-29-2005, 12:58 PM
www.kpig.com - americana, blues, r&r, hawaiian, folk, country, cowboy and very funny commentary. you gotta buy a real.com id for $5 a month but you can check it out for two weeks and see what you think. bonus: they don't play ads over the internet feed, the downside is cool stuff doesn't get announced or on the playlist when they do that.

like the other guy said: www.wwoz.org. free and great

terry b
03-29-2005, 01:00 PM

Working on bikes - a Rockabilly collection I just picked up.

Driving to work - started listening to Bach's Easter Oratorio this morning. Downloaded it from iTunes last night.

Around the house - XM radio in a couple of rooms that stay on two of the three Classical stations.

Ray
03-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Miles Davis? I have Kind of Blue, Porgy & Bess, and Sketches of Spain. How's Miles Ahead? Any other MD recommendations?
Good God ya'll - where to start? Jack Johnson, *****'s Brew, Agharta and Pangea, Live at the Plugged Nickel, Birth of the Cool, Workin' Steamin' Relaxin' etal, Nefertiti, Water Babies, Live-Evil, In a Silent Way. Ahhh, screw it. There are way too many of them to try to list. You just about can't go wrong though. Even some of his '80s stuff that's roundly criticised had some really worthwhile moments on them and always that inexplicable FEEL. Just start exploring - one of those artists with about 18 separate and distinct eras, each with something to offer.

-Ray

bcm119
03-29-2005, 01:33 PM
The new Tom Waits album

Taj Mahal- Taj's Blues

Herbie/Wayne Shorter/Ron Carter/Tony Williams- A Tribute to Miles

Ali Farka Toure- all of them

Peter Tosh

Pink Martini

flydhest
03-29-2005, 01:57 PM
Lyle Lovett is currently playing on the computer as I write bad things about people who are crummy economists.

M_A_Martin
03-29-2005, 02:53 PM
Is that the same Lyle Lovett CD you had in the volvo two Serotta Open Houses ago?

flydhest
03-29-2005, 02:56 PM
Is that the same Lyle Lovett CD you had in the volvo two Serotta Open Houses ago?

Nope, this is "Lyle Lovett Live in Texas"

Bradford
03-29-2005, 03:00 PM
Radio Margaritaville, all day long.

Where else are you going to hear John Prine, Harry Belafonte, Gorden Lightfoot, and of course, Jimmy Buffett.

Darrell
03-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Can anyone tell me what this is about, it sure sounds cool and dark when played loud!

Nick Cave - "Red Right Hand" Lyrics

Take a litle walk to the edge of town
Go across the tracks
Where the viaduct looms,
like a bird of doom
As it shifts and cracks
Where secrets lie in the border fires,
in the humming wires
Hey man, you know
you're never coming back
Past the square, past the bridge,
past the mills, past the stacks
On a gathering storm comes
a tall handsome man
In a dusty black coat with
a red right hand
He'll wrap you in his arms,
tell you that you've been a good boy
He'll rekindle all the dreams
it took you a lifetime to destroy
He'll reach deep into the hole,
heal your shrinking soul
Hey buddy, you know you're
never ever coming back
He's a god, he's a man,
he's a ghost, he's a guru
They're whispering his name
through this disappearing land
But hidden in his coat
is a red right hand
You ain't got no money?
He'll get you some
You ain't got no car? He'll get you one
You ain't got no self-respect,
you feel like an insect
Well don't you worry buddy,
cause here he comes
Through the ghettos and the barrio
and the bowery and the slum
A shadow is cast wherever he stands
Stacks of green paper in his
red right hand
(Organ solo)
You'll see him in your nightmares,
you'll see him in your dreams
He'll appear out of nowhere but
he ain't what he seems
You'll see him in your head,
on the TV screen
And hey buddy, I'm warning
you to turn it off
He's a ghost, he's a god,
he's a man, he's a guru
You're one microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan
Designed and directed by
his red right hand
(Organ solo)

e-RICHIE
03-29-2005, 04:59 PM
it's about how frankie goes to hollywood,
relaxes, and then returns home safely.

Darrell
03-30-2005, 05:27 AM
it's about how frankie goes to hollywood,
relaxes, and then returns home safely.

Yeh OK, I could be with you here, but what about the line,
"You're one microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan"
How does that fit into Fankie's holiday and is Hollywood really like this??
One of my mates rekons it's about a frame builder who lingers down town, and he burns his hand a bit too often.
Tania, my glass is empty!

Russell
03-30-2005, 08:23 AM
Can anyone tell me what this is about, it sure sounds cool and dark when played loud!

Nick Cave's songs all have a sinister quality to them, even the love songs. If you haven't already, check out Murder Ballads for a late night creepfest.

M_A_Martin
03-30-2005, 08:23 AM
Let's see, I haven't been listening to too much that's very difficult or hard lately...other than the usual SRV, Bob Seger, Van Morrison, and Peter Gabriel, lately I've been spinning:
Beck: Odelay
Johnny Cash: Superhits (yeah, I know)
Kimball Collins: Music is life
Beautiful Strange (it's in the player...I forget the artist...)
Maroon 5: Songs about Jane
Squirrel Nut Zippers: Bedlam Ballroom
The Bicycle Thief: You come and go like a pop song
Bihlman Bros: Day by Day
Duende Magic (A compilation of Flamenco Guitar from ellipsis arts)

And a couple out of the dollar bin:
Yuji Oniki: Orange
Autolux: Future Perfect

My friends think I'm particularly strange for surfing the bargin bin at the CD store, but even if I don't find anything else I want, I usually pick up a couple exceptionally cheap used CDs every time I go with no idea of the artist or type of music...it's cheap entertainment, sort of like a musical grab bag. Sometimes I find stuff I really like. Sometimes it's $3 down the drain.

Grant McLean
03-30-2005, 10:11 AM
www.KCRW.com

check it out

-g

Darrell
03-30-2005, 04:21 PM
Nick Cave's songs all have a sinister quality to them, even the love songs. If you haven't already, check out Murder Ballads for a late night creepfest.

How cool, some in the USA who knows the Aussie Nick Cave. :banana:

Yeh, I am into Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds lately, I have heard of "Murder Ballards" , I will get next time I leave the workshop, which will be when I catch the flight to Cirque 2005.

DarkStar
03-30-2005, 08:30 PM
Here's a short list of what I have spinning away in the CD deck.
Ry Cooder
Emmylou Harris
R.L. Burnside
Junior Kimbrough
Danny Gatton.
Just awesome stuff.

J.M. White
03-30-2005, 09:41 PM
Wilco - A Ghost is Born - not for everyone, but something for everyone
The Cult - Love - never get tired of this one; best played loud
The Verve - Urban Hymns - "Bittersweet Symphony" (the Nike song) isn't even the best on this album
Uncle Tupelo - Anthology - history of bluegress-punk genre-making band
A Girl Called Eddy - Tears All Over Town - beautiful, haunting, perfect voice
Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highway - Neil Young/Crazyhorse influenced anthems
Bonerama - ditto previous comments on this one - a real trip!
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds - for the hammock

csb
03-30-2005, 09:53 PM
think devil

Darrell
03-30-2005, 10:12 PM
think devil
Don't tell George. ;)
Please!

cs124
03-31-2005, 06:51 AM
think devil

...whatever it is you sold your soul for...
drugs
money
promotion

yeehawfactor
03-31-2005, 09:46 AM
i "discovered" pet sounds after buying smile when it came out. lots of that lately
the arcade fire
a bit of wilco
also in keeping with my recent obsession with 80's music, purple rain by prince has gotten a lot of play

Bosun
03-31-2005, 11:48 AM
newer: Spoon, Shins, Olympic Hopefuls, Westerberg, Alkaline Trio, Ben Harper

not as new: Joe Strummer, Social Distortion, Husker Du, Replacements,
Uncle Tupelo/Wilco/SunVolt

Ipod is for real. Plug it into your stereo/car/head and understand.

amper
03-31-2005, 04:52 PM
Al Di Meola: Elegant Gypsy
Jean-Luc Ponty: Civilized Evil
Pat Metheny: As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls
Kazumi Watanabe: Mobo 1 & 2
AC/DC: High Voltage
Jimi Hendrix: Electric Lady land
Dire Straits: Making Movies
Frank Zappa: Apostrophe
Gypsy Kings
Social Distortion
Agent Orange
The Misfits
US Bombs

Michael Testa
03-31-2005, 05:04 PM
Trail of Dead
Radiohead (Amnesiac, Kid A, Hail to the Thief, OK Computer. but all of their shizzle is great)
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers (Like Someone in Love)
Stan Getz/Luiz Bonfa: Jazz Samba Encore
Tina Brooks: True Blue
The Clash: London Calling
The Roots: Tipping Point
Miles Davis & John Coltrane: The Ultimate Columbia Recordings 1955-1961