PDA

View Full Version : Teenager not allowed to buy tire repair kit

fiamme red
05-13-2010, 03:18 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7720912/Teenager-banned-from-buying-bicycle-tire-repair-kit-in-case-he-sniffs-the-glue.html

Daniel Cottrell was shopping with his dad in a 99p Store when staff refused to sell the kit, which includes a 5ml glue stick...

The cashier refused to sell the kit because the glue stick contained solvents and Daniel was younger than 18 years old.

His father, Simon, offered to pay but the cashier still refused to sell it...

"Children should be encouraged to get on their bike and stay healthy. He is a sensible lad who would not sniff glue."

BengeBoy
05-13-2010, 07:26 PM
I don't have any problem with a store clerk who refuses to sell glue to a kid.

Retail associates have lots of rules, regulations and processes to keep track of. Keeping things like glue, aerosol paints, cigarettes, alcohol, etc. out of the hands of kids is just part of the job.

The fact that a clerk might have made a modest error in judgment seems hardly worthy of a story in a national newspaper. I used to be a regular reader of the Daily Telegraph when I lived in the UK - the paper tends to love stories like this ("people are losing their common sense" and/or "the world has become too politically correct" ).

Must have been a slow news day in the UK (not like they are changing governments or anything over there...)

goonster
05-14-2010, 08:30 AM
The fact that a clerk might have made a modest error in judgment seems hardly worthy of a story in a national newspaper.
Doncha know, that's pretty much all news organizations do any more. They have figured out that they make money with stories that cause indignation in their audience. Exhibit A: the recent "sent home for wearing flag t-shirts" flap.

The real story here is that the tire repair kit does not contain glue but vulcanizing fluid. Does have solvents though . . .

Seramount
05-14-2010, 09:07 AM
another instance of some dim-witted tool who can't exercise common sense.

if the kid's parent is standing there authorizing the purchase, the clerk should sell the repair kit.

gemship
05-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Doncha know, that's pretty much all news organizations do any more. They have figured out that they make money with stories that cause indignation in their audience. Exhibit A: the recent "sent home for wearing flag t-shirts" flap.

The real story here is that the tire repair kit does not contain glue but vulcanizing fluid. Does have solvents though . . .

Good point, I reached info overload and I blame it all on the media. Useless news, regurgitated etc, etc,

gemship
05-14-2010, 09:11 AM
another instance of some dim-witted tool who can't exercise common sense.

if the kid's parent is standing there authorizing the purchase, the clerk should sell the repair kit.

+1 but then they would have find some other filler for that page of the paper as in no story.

goonster
05-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Veering further OT, but that's how it works with beer in Germany.

You have to be 16 to buy on your own, but if a parent is present and authorizes the purchase, a 14 yr-old can order his own beer to wash down the pork-of-the-day. Dunno about the glue bar . . .

jemoryl
05-18-2010, 10:37 AM
Vending machine containing drinks, including beer, at my hotel in Portugal: "It is illegal for persons under 16 to by alcoholic beverages from this machine".