PDA

View Full Version : Campy Components Questions...

hairylegs
05-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Hey Guys...

I've got my big Ironman coming up in 7 weeks. I'm probably due for a new chain and I've been using a Campy Mirage 11-25 cassette with a Veloce chain. A few questions...

1) Campy chain? Or do other 10 speed chains perform the same?

2) I was considering getting a 27 for the race so I can spin a bit easier up the mountain. It looks like Campy only makes 13-26. Miche makes an 11-27 and a few other companies as well. Are those junk? Is Mirage junk? Should I consider getting a Centaur or Chorus Cassette even if it's another 11-25? Is the quality that different?

3) Where do you guys get your Campy stuff? It seems like the usual suspects (lickbike, total cycling, ebay, etc) have very scarce selections!

I know...too many questions, but the wisdom on this forum is just to great not to tap!

Thanks so much for any insights! And BRING ON THE TOUR OF CA! :)

Cody

Marcusaurelius
05-12-2010, 10:23 PM
I've used campy 10 speed chains but i prefer wipperman because they have a nice reuseable link that works very well.

Campagnolo also makes a 13-29 cassette for the really big hills. I have used veloce and chorus and I don't see much difference besides chorus is a little lighter. I've never used mirage so I can't comment but I suspect it' just a little heavier.

Campagnolo does recommend a medium cage derailleur for the 13/29.

I order from Ribble, Chain Reach and that other scary place where buying is a bit of a gamble.

Blue Jays
05-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Remember the heat of competition will boost your strength and the 27-tooth cog might not be needed in place of the 25-tooth or 26-tooth cog.

Ken Robb
05-12-2010, 11:18 PM
a 13-29 cassette might require a different lock ring depending on what you have now.

hairylegs
05-13-2010, 01:24 AM
Great, thanks. Ribble looks good - nice and cheap! I think 29 is an overkill for me, as I've gotten pretty strong, but a 27 might be nice. 26 is maybe not worth it (over my current 25.)

Is there quality difference in the Mirage vs. Centaur besides weight? I'll check out the wipperman chains!

Thanks again!

AngryScientist
05-13-2010, 06:33 AM
i have a miche cassette on one of my wheels, it shifted terribly. i know its not the rest of the drivetrain, because as soon as i switched to a veloce cassette, it shifts flawlessly. others have had some luck, but from my perspective, i would stay away from the miche cassettes.

when i trashed my last chain and needed one in a hurry, i threw on an ultegra 10-sp chain from the lbs, works perfectly. its just as expensive as a veloce or centaur chain though, so i would just stick with campy chains.

good luck with your ironman!

djg
05-13-2010, 07:31 AM
I've had very good luck with Centaur cassettes and they're just not expensive. You can get a 13-26 for climbing or, if you need an easier gear, even a 29 (and yes, you can get it to work just fine with a short cage rear derailleur). To my mind, this is the value choice for camapag 10 speed (quality/price).

Just get a campag chain -- properly installed and looked after they're great, they last, and even full retail at the local shop is just not that much more than the budget alternatives. You'll get a year out of this, right?

If you're doing mail order, pbk often has really good prices on campag. Less of a deal option, but reliable and well stocked, is Excel.

oldpotatoe
05-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Hey Guys...

I've got my big Ironman coming up in 7 weeks. I'm probably due for a new chain and I've been using a Campy Mirage 11-25 cassette with a Veloce chain. A few questions...

1) Campy chain? Or do other 10 speed chains perform the same?

Least compatible 10s chain. All 10s chains are the same dimension, all work fine(but I rec a Campagnolo chain, Veloce)

2) I was considering getting a 27 for the race so I can spin a bit easier up the mountain. It looks like Campy only makes 13-26. Miche makes an 11-27 and a few other companies as well. Are those junk? Is Mirage junk? Should I consider getting a Centaur or Chorus Cassette even if it's another 11-25? Is the quality that different?

My experience with Miche is not good. Poor shifting, poorly made. All Campagnolo cogsets are nicely made, will shift the best.

3) Where do you guys get your Campy stuff? It seems like the usual suspects (lickbike, total cycling, ebay, etc) have very scarce selections!

From my Local Bike Shop(which I own).

I know...too many questions, but the wisdom on this forum is just to great not to tap!

Thanks so much for any insights! And BRING ON THE TOUR OF CA! :)

Cody

Go Cadel!!!

Tom
05-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Put a 29 on the back with your short cage, forget where you are when you're riding crosseyed and tear the derailleur right off the bike. That'll make you real happy.

You don't need the 29. You're going to bury the mountain in your 25, event high will carry you a lot more than you might think.

hairylegs
05-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Hey Guys -

Thanks for your help. Just checked out at Ribble - great prices!

Picked up a 13-26 for the race (will prob go back to my 11-23 after the race.) That one extra tooth is a confidence booster. Ha. I really also want to ditch the Mirage cassette as the shifting seems sketchy at times.

Also picked up a few Veloce chains, bartape, new FD and cables all for about $175 USD. Great deal!

I hope I don't miss the 11 though on the descents, 13 seems like a pretty big step up.

More soon, thanks again!

John M
05-13-2010, 07:07 PM
I hope I don't miss the 11 though on the descents, 13 seems like a pretty big step up.

For an Ironman, if you are spinning out of the 53/13, just coast and save your legs for the run.

hairylegs
05-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Great advice on the descents! Thanks! :)

merlinmurph
05-14-2010, 11:50 AM
a 13-29 cassette might require a different lock ring depending on what you have now.

Is that true? I've got a 13-29 sitting on a shelf I haven't used yet, waiting for a long, hilly ride. I'd hate to pull it out and find my lockring doesn't fit.

Murph

bzbvh5
05-14-2010, 12:37 PM
3) Where do you guys get your Campy stuff?
Cody

I found https://www.xxcycle.com has a great selection of Campy stuff at a great price. I bought a Centaur 13-29 cassette which included the lock ring for half what I would pay at any of the LBS's. Campy chains seemed to be priced well also. They delivered the product before they said they would!!!!

They are a French company and the product is mailed from there but delivery times are more than acceptable.

Note: If you are going to change your own cassette, you will need to by a campy lock ring adapter (check e-bay) to use with your torque wrench.

acorn_user
05-15-2010, 07:21 AM
I like using the Wipperman link with a Campagnolo chain. Wipperman chains are pretty good too. If you are on a lower budget, Performance stocks a KMC chain for <$30.

thwart
05-15-2010, 07:52 AM
Campy uses a different lockring for 11 tooth cogs than for 12/13.