PDA

View Full Version : Fizik Arione

David Kirk
03-28-2005, 12:19 PM
I'm building up a new bike for myself and I'm looking for a new saddle. Does anyone have direct experience with the Fizik Arione....thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

Serotta PETE
03-28-2005, 12:22 PM
Steve (SALES) at Serotta was using one, Also many of the demo bikes have this saddle on them. I know a few folks around here using them and they seem to work for them,

PETE

dirtdigger88
03-28-2005, 12:40 PM
Dave-

I love mine- I have maybe 500 miles on it now. I too have been a long time Flite user. I test rode a Cannondale Six13 last fall- I wasnt that impressed with the bike but it had an Arione on it- after I got back on my Legend I noticed MY saddle- I went right back to the Cannondale for another spin- yes the Arione was better (for me) I originally thought the length of the Arione was a gimmic- I thought it only gained on that little lip in the rear- but if you measure the sweet spot compared to a Flite- the Arione acutally is a touch longer in the nose as well as the rear- you also have longer rail- 1.5 cm longer- The lack of a true "sweet spot" originally concerned me- but it allows you to move around so much it is great- Two big thumbs up- plus if you want to spend the cash- the color options are unbelievable

Jason

1centaur
03-28-2005, 12:42 PM
Probably have ten saddles bought along the path to comfort. Now all my bikes have either Aliante or Arione - I think Fizik really does consider pressure points more scientifically than other makers. There has been no saddle in the last 5 years that has received the percentage of positive responses I have seen on the Arione. What's funny to me is that Fizik had already positioned the Aliante as their top saddle and just kind of rolled the Arione and the Gobi out there as second class citizens. Watching the subsequent price creep it lookes like they undercut Aliante sales and underpriced Ariones.

While saddles are a personal decision, if I had to recommend one to anybody to try it would be the Arione - just the right combo of hard, soft and shape. Note that saddle tilt can make all the difference on this saddle.

Kevan
03-28-2005, 12:42 PM
Aaarrrggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the Pave tho.

dirtdigger88
03-28-2005, 12:46 PM
yeah- you do have to play with the tilt a bit at first- the saddle feels too high in the nose at first but after you are use to it you will have the saddle set level like every other saddle

Jason

jerk
03-28-2005, 01:01 PM
the jerk likes his.

musgravecycles
03-28-2005, 01:07 PM
I like mine. I'd still like to try a Aliante but at that price it's not really an option. One word of caution though, as afore mentioned tilt if everything with this saddle, be prepared to fuss with it, I'm still waiting for the patented RichW Heat gun trick. I saw on their website that you can custom pick your colors...if your into that sort of thing...

zap
03-28-2005, 01:10 PM
I was lucky enough to test on. After I figured out how far back to move the saddle (it is looooooong and the reference point is different), it felt great.

I don't move much in the saddle, so I felt the extra length was a waste. So, I would purchase the Aliante if I needed a new saddle.

LegendRider
03-28-2005, 01:11 PM
Too narrow for me - I prefer the Aliante...

Roy E. Munson
03-28-2005, 01:31 PM
My nuts love mine, except the cover is coming free from the shell of the nose. On the saddle, that is.

csb
03-28-2005, 01:34 PM
pave is more similar to your flite

Keith A
03-28-2005, 01:57 PM
Hey Dave,

First of all, do a search in the titles only using the advanced search option and you will see several discussions have been started on this subject with some good reviews in there.

Secondly, I'm riding the Airone on both my Serottas and the Pavè on my OCLV and older steel machines. My preference goes to the Airone, but not by a huge margin. I do like the larger sitting area that the Airone offers to get comfortable on. The smallish sweet spot on the Pavè was always something that bothered me -- but once I dialed this in, it was plenty comfortable. The profile of the saddle is noticeably different than my Pavè and I did (and still do to some degree) get more pressure from then nose of the saddle. I had to play with the tilt in order to reduce this pressure. Additionally, the nose was wider than my Pavè and it took a little while to get adjusted to the new width.

The Airone has a little less padding than the Pavè, but they both offer good flexibility as they have long Ti rails and other features that are good at shock absorption.

I'm planning for my first century in a couple of weeks and will purposely ride the Airone to see how it feels for the 100 miles. I've never had a problem with my Pavè for that many miles.

gasman
03-28-2005, 02:06 PM
I have about 3,000 miles on my Arione and it is fine, although I am not really satisfied with any saddle I have used. I do like all the real estate you can move around on and the only time I have had an issue with numbness was on a 207 mile one day ride last year.(The STP- a pancake flat ride)

Too Tall
03-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Straight up son...I'll take it if you don't like.
These should be setup with the nose 1 degree down.
I do move around alot, it's wonderful for that.

slowgoing
03-28-2005, 02:56 PM
It's a keeper. Lots of room to move around and find a comfortable position.

GVH Bikes has them for a pretty good price - $105. It was the last thing I bought from Gary a few weeks before he passed.

spiderman
03-28-2005, 03:05 PM
but i like mine.
i've got over 6k on mine
comfortable whether it's 40 mile on rollers
or 150+ on a one day ride...
i've thought about trying others...
like a brooks,
but then i wonder why i'd spend so much
on something that doesn't need changing...

pdxmech13
03-28-2005, 04:04 PM
I believe that the arione has been getting some excellent reviews everywhere.
personally I have had one for a year and have had great results. I did ride a flite for ten years and was a little scared to try something new. I found that living in a new town with different topography was going to make my flite worthless with its single position. I really think that this is where the arione shines in its length and flat positioning. Great for sitting on the nose on flats and all sorts of room on the back for climbing. Just my thoughts though.

dirtdigger88
03-28-2005, 04:20 PM
so is that enough people agreeing on the saddle to convince you to try one

Jason

Rich_W
03-28-2005, 04:58 PM
Not quite done yet...

I love both of mine... both customized using the patented Rich_W™ Heat-Gun-Trick®. Basically, I give the flat saddle a little more give, and more of a cradle shape. Or perhaps a Bananna... :banana:

BTW... for those waiting for my how-to pictorial... I found out from the boys at BikeMine that my Lampre-Caffita team Arionne won't be in my hands till first week of May... worst case.

I'll have that sucker looking like Gilberto himself rode it for 15,000 miles in no time flat.

Check out the pics of "Plastique Fantastique" in the custom gallery to get an idea of the cradle shape I'm getting out of them.

David Kirk
03-28-2005, 05:13 PM
OK....OK I'll try one. Are you all happy now?

Seriously....thanks for the input. I will try one. I've got a fully new bike I'll be building up in the next few weeks. Cool wheels, Zinn cranks, and a brand new, in the box Mavic Mektronic group.

Thanks again,

Dave

weisan
03-28-2005, 05:39 PM
... in the box Mavic Mektronic group.
Dave

Now Dave, you've got to tell us where you find that secret stash. I have called around some but nobody seems to know where to find them. Don't tell me you found the very last box that exists hiding under the base of a lodgepole pine tree.

David Kirk
03-28-2005, 05:47 PM
The good folks at the Wheelworks in Boston set me up. I recall them having more.

Dave

weisan
03-28-2005, 05:49 PM
The good folks at the Wheelworks in Boston set me up. I recall them having more.

Dave

Thanks for the tip. Hope you are doing well. I think it's just swell that you are building yourself a new bike. How cool can that be!

dirtdigger88
03-28-2005, 05:57 PM
David- can I have your old bike? It may be a touch big but I could make it work ;)

jason

David Kirk
03-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Hey Dirt,

Some hammer'in and hacksaw'in and some of that there spray paint'in work and it sure will fit good.

Dave

BumbleBeeDave
03-28-2005, 08:37 PM
. . . Krylon yellow and black left after painting my MTB . . . :rolleyes:

BBDave

MallyG
03-29-2005, 05:30 AM
After many years of Flite (and no complaints I stress!), I swapped to an Arione last Summer on my Legend. I love it! I do find the length helps, and I really like the narrowness too. So much so, that I've just ordered a further Arione for my upcoming Storck.