PDA

View Full Version : Off the bike for a month

MattTuck
05-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Well, this is a bummer. Had surgery today and the doc told me I couldn't do any strenuous activity for a week, and couldn't bike for a month. I had this same surgery back at the end of December and was really hoping this year would be the first year in a while when I could ride without any medical issues complicating things. In fact, I scheduled that surgery during the off season so I wouldn't be tempted to ride during the recovery. That surgery provided some relief, but not 100% so we're trying it again.

Guess I can focus on flexibility and core strength in the mean time. :(

endosch2
05-12-2010, 02:42 PM
I had to take 3 weeks off last summer due to a surgery, it will go faster than you think!

Try something new - swimming or something - it may turn out to be one of those moments to force yourself out of your comfort zone and you get something good from it. You wont loose too much bike wise in a month - it will take a couple of weeks to be back where you left off.

PBWrench
05-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Been there. Wishing you a quick a complete recovery. PBW :beer:

johnnymossville
05-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Good Luck with it, Take it easy and don't hurry back. There's a lot of riding left this year, and for years to come.

PaMtbRider
05-12-2010, 06:43 PM
I hope your surgery went well and it has the results you are hoping for. Time away from the bike when the weather is just getting nice is hard to deal with. It's only a few weeks and when you get back on the bike you will appreciate your health that much more.

r_mutt
05-12-2010, 06:52 PM
just consider yourself lucky- you could have had surgery and been off the bike for 4 months!

Dekonick
05-12-2010, 08:09 PM
I was off the bike for 5 months... and couldnt walk for 3. I feel your pain.

DO EVERYTHING your therapist tells you to do. Not more, not less.

Speedy recovery!

MattTuck
05-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I am fortunate that I am not off the bike longer!

But still, any nice days over the next month are going to be hard to swallow. At the least, I can still get outside and move around... even if it isn't on the bike.

Lifelover
05-12-2010, 09:29 PM
....I couldn't do any strenuous activity for a week, and couldn't bike for a month......

Guess I can focus on flexibility and core strength in the mean time. :(

A month is nothing. You will not lose much over that time. WAAAAY to many cyclist under value rest and over value constant "training".

Take the month off and rest. Don't work on your core or anything else. Rest is good for the soul.

MattTuck
05-12-2010, 09:33 PM
A month is nothing. You will not lose much over that time. WAAAAY to many cyclist under value rest and over value constant "training".

Take the month off and rest. Don't work on your core or anything else. Rest is good for the soul.

While I certainly appreciate the value of rest... I appreciate it more sometime around the middle of July after I've been riding hard for 3ish months. I appreciate it less when I'm just getting my season going ;)

Lifelover
05-12-2010, 09:51 PM
While I certainly appreciate the value of rest... I appreciate it more sometime around the middle of July after I've been riding hard for 3ish months. I appreciate it less when I'm just getting my season going ;)

I'm clearly projecting on you what I see with so many of my racer-boy friends. Be it cycling, running, yoga or whatever. So many of them really never truly rest for more than a day or two. They back off of cycling but just stay hard at it doing something else. Your "work on my core" comment just made me thing of them.

For various reasons, I was off my bike and did no real work out for about 5 months. WAAAY to long, but as I get back to it, I'm starting to wonder if it did me some good.

Erik.Lazdins
05-13-2010, 06:26 AM
Just recently got back on the bike after a month off. Doing short easy rides now, easing back into it.

The break was an unexpected surprise. It did do me some good.