PDA

View Full Version : Newport Beach, CA ride suggestions?

bluekudu
05-12-2010, 12:02 AM
I am going to be on the Balboa peninsula for a week in early June and don't know the area at all. I was hoping someone from the forum who lives in or knows the area could suggest some road rides for me -- anything from 25 miles to 70ish miles

Many thanks

54ny77
05-12-2010, 12:11 AM
How fast/experienced of a rider are you? If you're quick, look for the coffee crew rides that meet in front of the Tommy Bahama store right near MacArthur Blvd and PCH. It leaves pretty early, around 6 am (maybe earlier). I forget which days, however. If memory serves me correct, they leave and meet up with another group near Campus & University Ave in Irvine.

Try checking with the folks at Bike Religion or Laguna Beach Cyclery on local rides in the Newport Area.

Hands down the best ride is Como Street on Sunday mornings. You should do that. It's big, it's really fast, it's fun. Meets at Tustin Marketplace Starbucks. If you ride out from Balboa & do it, then ride home (back to Balboa), the short loop will be about 55 miles, the long loop another 15 or so on top of that.

npla2112
05-12-2010, 08:16 AM
I used to live there back in the 90's. I know the area pretty well.... I would:

1.Take a trip into Laguna Beach via PCH and ride up Park Ave and make a left on Alta Vista. It's a nice climb and you'll be rewarded with a stunning view I promise. Travel south on PCH into South Laguna, it's nice too.
Also, stop by Laguna Cyclery on Thalia, they are good folks and could offer some good rides. Lots of stuff to do in Laguna as well....

2. Take PCH the opposite way from Balboa and ride into Huntington Beach and watch the surfers from the pier. It's an easy, flat ride.

3.Another favorite is a ride through Live Oak Canyon via El Toro. It may be a long ride from Newport but I found Live Oak to be a very peaceful, scenic place like you were riding in the country.

4. If you have the time take the Catalina Flyer to Catalina Island and ride around the island for the day. I think the Flyer leaves from Newport Beach, it's a good day trip.
Enjoy your visit. Post pics too.
P.S. If you like sushi, my all time favorite place is Bluefin located off of PCH going towards Laguna. Pricey but well worth the splurge...(be careful of the sake flights!)
Nestor
:bike:

wooly
05-12-2010, 10:20 AM
This is my hood. Here's one of my favorite rides:

Basic description is Newport, Irvine, Laguna beach, to Newport.

From Balboa Penninsula, head south on Pacific Coast Hightway.
- Jamboree - left
- Back Bay Drive - left, nice ride along bay
- Eastbluff Drive - left (Back Bay Drive dead ends into Eastbluff Drive)
Eastbluff turns into University Drive - stay on this road. you will see University of California Irvine on the right.
- Alton Parkway - right
- Irvine Center Drive - right
- El Toro - right, dead ends into Laguna Canyon Rd
- Laguna Canyon Road - left
- Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) - right
- Stop for some Peets Coffee at PCH and Avocado (shopping center, next to Tommy Bahama's store)

(Optional climb) - while you are heading up PCH, after the turn from Laguna Canyon, you will be riding up the coast line. Take a right on Newport Coast Drive (about a 1 mile climb), take a left on San Joaquin Hills, left on San Miguel, left on MacArthur Road, right on PCH, then head to Peets Coffee as mentioned above.

Back up PCH to Balboa Penninsula.

About 30 miles - beautifull ride.

bluekudu
05-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm pretty fired up to get out of the desert for a bit and out to the coast.

Wooly: that ride ties in many of the roads I've been looking at on google maps (Back Bay, Laguna Canyon, Newport Coast) -- thanks for the turn by turn directions

wooly
05-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Enjoy!

Ken Robb
05-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm pretty fired up to get out of the desert for a bit and out to the coast.

Wooly: that ride ties in many of the roads I've been looking at on google maps (Back Bay, Laguna Canyon, Newport Coast) -- thanks for the turn by turn directions

In June at the beach you will KNOW you're out of the desert---the old June Gloom may be in force.

dvs cycles
05-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Great riding in 3 directions from there. The 4th gets a little wet. :beer:
All depends on what you want. Flat, hilly, scenic, trails? We have them all.

bluekudu
05-13-2010, 12:06 PM
Can't wait. Time with the family, beach, riding, fly-fishing, sushi, beer and even a chance of some wet coastal weather. It all sounds good to me right now.

I am certainly going to hit Bluefin. Are there any other restaurants that I should try?

wooly
05-13-2010, 04:04 PM
There are a lot of great places to eat in Coastal OC. Here are a few:

Breakfast:
Beachcomber in Newport Beach - right on the beach at Crystal Cove State Beach. Head south on PCH, take a left at Los Trancos, where the parking lot is. The restaurant will validate your parking

Madison Square Garden - Laguna Beach on PCH just north of Main Beach. On the in-land side of PCH.

Dinner:
Sorrento Bar and Grill in Laguna Beach at 370 Glenneyre Street, Laguna Beach, CA 92651-2362, (949) 494-8686

Five feet in Laguna Beach, near Sorrento Grill, located at 328 Glenneyre Street.

Tabu is great for Dinner too. It is in south Laguna Beach.

Have a great time

dvs cycles
05-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Javier's for Mexican and Margaritas and Mastro's Fish House at Crystal Cove.
$$$ but good. :beer:

npla2112
05-13-2010, 06:55 PM
For dinner check out Studio in the Montage hotel in Laguna Beach. I had dinner there on my honeymoon, it's pricey but it has a great view, stop by the bar in the lobby for a drink first.. Splashes in the Surf and Sand Hotel also in Laguna, it's right on the beach. I worked there as a cook back in 1993 and it looks like they improved the place.
I could also recommend The Winery in Tustin. I worked with Chef Yvon Goetz when I worked at the Ritz Carlton, He co owns this place and knows his food for sure! If you want I can drop him a line and tell him your coming, he'll take good care of you.
Looks like I'll be going back for a visit soon. My old roomy just adopted a newborn today. Can't wait to chow.

Nestor

P.S. How did I not mention In and Out Burger oops. They rule mightily. :)

wooly
05-13-2010, 08:05 PM
How can I forget In n Out? Absolute must have.

Javiers and Mastros are nice but a scene :p

Let's face it. there are many great joints here in our coastal hood.

bluekudu
05-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Starting to think I should spend a month...

bluekudu
05-14-2010, 02:03 PM
3.Another favorite is a ride through Live Oak Canyon via El Toro. It may be a long ride from Newport but I found Live Oak to be a very peaceful, scenic place like you were riding in the country.

:bike:

A friend here mentioned Santiago and Silverado canyons as well (w/Silverado being her new all-time favorite.) Santiago seems to connect w/Live Oak - what is the favored direction?

Link to Google Map (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=115945013525986549497.0004869251866baf9f45d&ll=33.644921,-117.635078&spn=0.313249,0.528374&t=h&z=12&lci=bike)

dvs cycles
05-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Starting to think I should spend a month...
I've been here for 47 of my 56= years and don't plan on ever leaving as long as I can still ride a bike. :beer:

dvs cycles
05-14-2010, 06:24 PM
A friend here mentioned Santiago and Silverado canyons as well (w/Silverado being her new all-time favorite.) Santiago seems to connect w/Live Oak - what is the favored direction?

Link to Google Map (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=115945013525986549497.0004869251866baf9f45d&ll=33.644921,-117.635078&spn=0.313249,0.528374&t=h&z=12&lci=bike) Santiago is a nice ride that is more fun for me to do Counter Clock Wise. Silverado is a dead end but scenic diversion while in the canyon. You can also add Mojesca to it for some good steep climbing.
Options are plenty.