PDA

View Full Version : HED Ardennes question

jcmuellner
05-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Have to admit, these new HED C2 Ardennes are some of the best wheels I've ever used. As I only have ridden them about 500 miles so far, anyone have many more and can comment on how they fared so far?

I'm 145-150 lbs and don't thrash my gear, so just curious what other's experience is with more miles on them. I'm even considering using them on a brevet bike I like them so much. Pro2Race tires measure at over 28mm on these rims and I took them over Rock Island Grade in Wenatchee WA with 20 miles of gravel and they were excellent.

Waldo
05-11-2010, 04:22 PM
A cautionary tale:

I have a bit more mileage on my Ardennes than you (~650). When I wore out my Vittoria EVO CX tires and it was time to change them, it took me an hour of epic struggle to remove the 24mm Vittorias and wrestle the new 25mm Michelin Pro Race 2 onto the rims. Not wishing to replicate the experience on a double century, I've temporarily shelved my Ardennes in favor of conventional wheels: 32-hole Record hubs/Mavic Open Pros rims, on which I can install/remove these tires without levers. Your experience may differ, of course.

Bruce K
05-11-2010, 04:36 PM
That's wierd, my Pro 3's went on fine

but it's also not uncommon

I have used my Ardennes for 1 cross season and about 1000 road miles after that with no isuues. They are still true and roll fine

BK

PS I am 205#

jlwdm
05-11-2010, 05:05 PM
I have been considering the HED wheels based on all of the rave reviews on this forum but was concerned about Vlad's prior post.

I PMd some of the HED owners and found his experience to be the opposite of the feedback from others. Not sure what the situation is with Vlad's wheels.

Jeff

Treetop
05-11-2010, 05:13 PM
I've used mine for everything from CX to long gravel road rides. Love the feel of them with Mich Krylion 25s but also have run Vittoria EVO 23s with no real mounting issues. I go 140# and run 90psi and they're still fast. Enjoy the ride.

jcmuellner
05-11-2010, 06:25 PM
I had a pretty easy time getting the tires on/off, but as always, there are a few anomalies out there. I've only used Pro2Race tires on HED wheels.

Appreciate the feedback - if they can handle cross, then I see no worries!

Just finished another great ride and the sun is shining...man I love spring.

Waldo
05-11-2010, 06:46 PM
I have been considering the HED wheels based on all of the rave reviews on this forum but was concerned about Vlad's prior post.

I PMd some of the HED owners and found his experience to be the opposite of the feedback from others. Not sure what the situation is with Vlad's wheels.

Jeff

Glad they work well for the others. They ride great, no doubt. As I said above, your tire-changing experience may differ. Wish mine did :(

stephenmarklay
05-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Some tires just don't want to go on regardless of rims. I have some Challenge open Tubulars that always remove some skin.

I have some Hed wannabies that are 22mm wide with and Vittoria CX with no problem.

BTW I bought the wannabie wheels and they are going back. I am looking at the Handspun version that uses the HED C2 wheel with DT 240's and aerolites.

blschaefer1
05-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Have about 1200 miles or so on a set. Still true as new. No issues with tire fit either. Make sure you run the proper width rim strip (28mm if memory serves), and don't use Velox tape. It's too thick and can make tire fit an issue, or so I'm told.

thwart
05-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Sounds an awful lot like Campy rims. A b*tch to mount new tires, but once stretched, on the road changes are much less traumatic.

And if you flat on a descent or corner, your skin will really appreciate the fact that you have to use levers with these rims...

veloduffer
05-12-2010, 08:05 AM
I just got the HED Bastognes and mounted some Vredsteins with no issues.

FWIW, I found Michelin tires to be one of the hardest to mount (in general). On a Campy rim, it's damn near impossible without using a lever (VAR levers work well).

Vlad - if you want to relieve yourself of the Ardennes, I'll take them off your hands.

Waldo
05-12-2010, 12:46 PM
I just got the HED Bastognes and mounted some Vredsteins with no issues.

FWIW, I found Michelin tires to be one of the hardest to mount (in general). On a Campy rim, it's damn near impossible without using a lever (VAR levers work well).

Vlad - if you want to relieve yourself of the Ardennes, I'll take them off your hands.

e-mail sent.

dixiesdad
05-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Its the tires dammit....the Michelins are REALLY hard to mount on most rims I have the bastognes with vittoria cx and they are great. ps going to france on friday volcano willing and British Air ok..... to ride near besancon with Jacques Gaultier the new FIL.

roguedog
05-13-2010, 12:22 AM
e-mail sent.

didn't think you'd actually think bout it. if veloduffer doesn't bite, send me a pm! :)

sokyroadie
05-13-2010, 04:42 AM
I have some Hed wannabies that are 22mm wide with and Vittoria CX with no problem.

BTW I bought the wannabie wheels and they are going back. I am looking at the Handspun version that uses the HED C2 wheel with DT 240's and aerolites.

Which wannabie rims did you buy, C4? Why are you sending them back?

I have a set of C2 Bastognes and they do ride great and no problem mounting Vittoria tires.

Jeff

jlwdm
05-13-2010, 02:55 PM
There are getting to be a lot more choices in wider rims.

The new Zipp 101 clincher says it has a maximum width up to 24.5mm. The rim will handle tires up to 35 mm and is a higher priced wheel.

Velocity has the A23 rims which give more choices to build up. I talked to Joe Young and you can get the A23s in 20, 24, 28, 32 and 36 hole. The rims are black.

Jeff

veloduffer
05-13-2010, 08:04 PM
A cautionary tale:

I have a bit more mileage on my Ardennes than you (~650). When I wore out my Vittoria EVO CX tires and it was time to change them, it took me an hour of epic struggle to remove the 24mm Vittorias and wrestle the new 25mm Michelin Pro Race 2 onto the rims. Not wishing to replicate the experience on a double century, I've temporarily shelved my Ardennes in favor of conventional wheels: 32-hole Record hubs/Mavic Open Pros rims, on which I can install/remove these tires without levers. Your experience may differ, of course.

Vlad, check your inbox. Your email is bouncing back.