PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in Telluride?

Derailer
05-10-2010, 02:40 PM
I will be in Telluride for about a week in August and would love to get some good rides in.

Is there good riding in Telluride? Should I rent or bring a bike? Any hotel recommendations?

Thanks!

Steve K
05-10-2010, 02:53 PM
It is a great Mtn Biking area. Only a few road rides. If you where there a in late Sept you could do this ride: http://www.m2dbikeride.com/

JohnHemlock
05-10-2010, 03:03 PM
I would do the San Juan Skyway, if you have time. Either bits or the entire loop. The riding around Cortez, Durango, Dolores, etc is pretty stellar.

If you are only getting away for an hour or two every day, probably a mountain bike is a better play.

xjoex
05-10-2010, 03:34 PM
If you like bouldering, the Illium boulders right outside town are AMAZING!
http://boulder.inotion.com/joe/2002/summer02/telluride_7-11/illium/slideImg19.jpg

-Joe

Ray
05-10-2010, 03:36 PM
On paved road, you're either heading for Montrose or Cortez. Bring or find a cross bike or a mountain bike and find the dirt roads. On a cross bike you could ride over Last Dollar Pass and then complete a loop back around to town from the Dallas Divide on the paved road. That would be a decent loop. The upper reaches of that dirt road over the pass are pretty rough and the descent is very rocky and rutted near the top, in either direction. I've done it on a cross bike, but a mtb is probably smarter. Or head up the end of the box canyon over the hill toward Silverton and Ouray - probably want to come back the same way though because trying to do a loop with the paved road is a LOOOOONG loop. Also all dirt. Frickin' beautiful riding though. If you don't have huge amounts of time, either of those as an out and back to the top of the pass would be a nice ride.

No idea where to stay anymore. The whole town has gotten crazy expensive. When I used to stay there, the New Sheriden Hotel right in the middle of downtown was sort of like a cheap dorm-room arrangement, but I'm sure its changed a lot if its even still renting rooms. I haven't stayed overnight since I lived there almost 30 years ago and its a completely different place now. Still beautiful though.

-Ray

JohnHemlock
05-10-2010, 04:25 PM
PM me your dates and budget, I might be able to hook you up with something. Telluride lodging pricing is fairly brutal,

Derailer
05-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the input so far.

I'll have plenty of free time. Indeed, I'll be completely free for about 5 days.

Mountain biking is good with me. Heck, I love it. I also enjoy fishing. In a nutshell, I guess my question is what are the best things to do outdoors in Telluride?

Dekonick
05-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Um....

YES.

:) Just have a grand time! Fish... and ride... ride to a fishing hole.... fish... ride....

I haven't been to Telluride but it is hard to go wrong doing the above anywhere in the Rockies. Look to see if there are any good rafting excursions... always fun.

Derailer
05-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Um....

YES.

:) Just have a grand time! Fish... and ride... ride to a fishing hole.... fish... ride....

I haven't been to Telluride but it is hard to go wrong doing the above anywhere in the Rockies. Look to see if there are any good rafting excursions... always fun.

I like this idea :beer:

Bradford
05-10-2010, 10:37 PM
The run from Doloras to Telluride is one of my all time favorite rides. I did it from Cortez, but the extra 10 miles isn't anything special.

If you are in good enough shape to do 50 miles of climbing over lizard Head pass, followed by a few miles of down, a couple of miles of climbing at the Ophir loop, followed a downhill run into Telluride, it is one of the greatest rides you will ever do. Just have someone drive you down to Dolores and ride back.

I can't wait for the chance to do it again.