PDA

View Full Version : Tour of California Recommendations

JohnHemlock
05-10-2010, 01:56 PM
I will be flying into LAX the morning of the 20th, will have a rental car and bicycle. Any recommendations on where I should situate myself for the stages into Bakersfield and Big Bear Lake? Or the TT downtown?

I have followed TdF and the Giro around, so I understand how stage race spectating works. But I don't know SoCal very well and would love some tips.

Thanks!

mgm777
05-10-2010, 05:08 PM
John - I am going to Orange County on business on the 19th for a week and am planning on being at the finish for the Big Bear stage on Friday and the Thousand Oaks finish on Sunday. A good friend is trying to talk me into coughing up roughly $200 for Big Bear VIP seating at that stage...whatever that means.

pdmtong
05-10-2010, 10:58 PM
I was in a VIP tent for the solvang TT last year and I can't actually imagne a worse place to be. yes, you have food, drink shade and maybe a chair. the problem is that you can't see up the course UNLESS you are right on the rail, since you can't see through the end of the tent. (imagine looking out a window but not being able to stick your head out the window). various sponsors have tents all along the run in to the finish...they are all lined up...so there you are sitting on the raill the whole day not giving up your space. it's worht it if you can get a spot. if not I think its a lot of coin for food.

I did buy a ticket to meet saxo bank this thursday....

Join us for an intimate evening with 2010 Paris-Roubaix winner Fabian Cancellara, Andy Schleck, Stuart O’Grady, Jens Voigt, Matti Breschel, Juan Jose’ Haedo, and Andre’ Steensen of the Saxo Bank Professional Cycling Team.

Limited to just 65 guests, this exclusive event happens from 7pm to 9pm. The team will do a meet-and-greet autograph signing, then engage in a rare question-and-answer session about all things pro cycling. Wondering what was going through Cancellara's head when he broke away from the lead pack at the Paris-Roubaix? Now is your chance to ask!

false_Aest
05-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Anyone going to check out Stage 8?

guylimey
05-10-2010, 11:21 PM
Yes I plan to. The last time it was in Thousand Oaks I rode there from Santa Monica via PCH and them across Las Posas over the 101 and then I picked up some of the actual route. An 85 mile trip but real enjoyable and spectating at the Amgen facility was great.

cleavel
05-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Hello JohnHemlock,

I will probably be riding with my club to the finish of the Big Bear stage. Not sure where we are going to start. If the race route is going to be relatively free of traffic in anticipation of the race then we'll ride up that side. In normal traffic conditions the race route can be kind of hairy.

My wife and I also volunteered for the TT in Los Angeles. Haven't heard back yet and certainly not sure where they will put us as course marshals. It's right in the middle of downtown so the should be a lot of good vantage points. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

stephenmarklay
05-11-2010, 10:42 PM
I wish I were a bit closer. That sounds awesome.