PDA

View Full Version : Jersey, mirror, and visor!!!

sellsworth
03-27-2005, 11:25 PM
When I cycle on the road I typically wear a screaming yellow jersey or some other very bright color. I always use a mirror. And I have a visor on my helmet. Is there anyone else who can lay claim to this impressive trio of traits?

dsimon
03-27-2005, 11:30 PM
mmmmm nope!

William
03-28-2005, 07:06 AM
Well,
I believe in wearing very bright colorful jerseys to increase stickoutedness (is that a real word? :confused: ).
I wear a cycling hat under my helmet so I guess technically I have a visor.
Mirror? Umm NO.

William

Tom
03-28-2005, 07:30 AM
I consider him a real rider. He rides his bike to work most days, year round, up in Vermont. He started wearing a mirror after a dump truck blew him into the hedges by the side of the road. He said he wanted to see what was coming. He got rid of it, he said, because it drove him nuts to see what was coming.

BumbleBeeDave
03-28-2005, 07:42 AM
. . . way-out clothes.

But then, I guess we ALL do . . . .

Sorry. I tried.

BBDave

Kevan
03-28-2005, 09:28 AM
the new used bike do all the talking. Electric pink and orange speaks volumes...

Sandy
03-28-2005, 09:37 AM
It sure does. :)

Me

M_A_Martin
03-28-2005, 09:53 AM
I'm with the brother.

I didn't ride with a mirror, I can hear anything but a goldwing coming up behind me...then after almost getting (I think intentionally) swiped by a semi I thought...I want to see what's coming, so I got a mirror...and I found I spent more time looking at the mirror, than I did watching the road. AND it makes me sea sick...not good on a bike... I'm safer doing a head check on vehicles that I wonder about than looking in a mirror.

As for bright, if I don't think my jersey is bright enough, I'll wear a conspicuity vest...talk about dorky...

The visor thing depends on which helmet I have on, I find the visor keeps my nose from getting really burned if I forget my sun screen. Other than that it is a detriment on the road as it blocks some of your forward vision in a road position.

scrooge
03-28-2005, 09:56 AM
When I cycle on the road I typically wear a screaming yellow jersey or some other very bright color. I always use a mirror. And I have a visor on my helmet. Is there anyone else who can lay claim to this impressive trio of traits?

What color socks do you wear?

sellsworth
03-28-2005, 12:24 PM
I most often wear multi-color socks but on occasion I wear black socks. Like screaming yellow jerseys, visors, and mirrors there seems to be a bias against black socks. Anyone know why?

Kevan
03-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Remember back in high school, you could be beaten up for wearing black socks with your sneakers. The rule remains fixed.

F'm... I wear my black Calfee sox w'd pride.

BarryG
03-28-2005, 01:36 PM
Call me a nerd, but I wish someone would come out with a modern version of the SkidLid with its generous visor and little clip-on mirror.

I wear a cap now under the helmet, but caps only seem to be available for mini melons. I do the eyeglass mirror thing, but it's not ideal.

Barry

Ozz
03-28-2005, 01:37 PM
Your sock color should always match your suit slacks...errrrr....tights....black tights = black socks. Otherwise you will have a (panty) line of white showing....not cool :no: , and people will whisper jokes about you. ;)

No tights, then white socks are the way to go! :beer:

When not trying to be a fashion plate, where whatever you want, as long at it is clean. :cool:

Visor on helmet plus hat is like belt with your suspenders....roadies wear hats, mud-backers have visors.... :p

Mirror?? "What is behind me, does not matter!!!!"

Yellow jersey?? Who do you think you are? Lance? Bright colors good...solid yellow jersey...never. Unless you earned it.

FWIW - what do I know? Nobody looks good in orange...... ;)

:banana: :banana: :banana:

sellsworth
03-28-2005, 01:40 PM
Kevan - my Calfee socks are white. I must be a lot cooler than you!

On my next ride I'm going to wear my black socks with my screaming yellow jersey, mirror, and visor. I'll wave at every roadie I see and I'll calculate the % of return waves or nods that I get. Less than half I bet. Maybe I'll wear the stuff on the Death Ride and the Davis Double Century this year. Do you think that I'll get run off the road?

M_A_Martin
03-28-2005, 02:23 PM
I'll wear my plain yellow jersey any time I want... :fight: :banana: ;)
It doesn't say TDF on it or any other sponsor stuff...nobody with eyes is going to mistake me for LANCE or any other former tour winner...it's JUST A FREAK'N PLAIN YELLOW JERSEY. I don't know why we should be limited on wearing one of the visible colors on our bikes. I *like* yellow. :)

Oh, I forgot the ankle tether...I wear one of those flashing ankle lights on the left leg when I'm commuting or riding at night...jumpy,flashy,moving light seems to get people's attention. Sellsworth, if you want to up your fred factor, get one. Wear it always, especially on group rides and tours...drives people both on bike and in cars nuts.

Ginger

sspielman
03-28-2005, 02:26 PM
I have been hoping for a good troll post....
I wear a helmet with a visor too.....and black socks.....and sometimes I wear hiking shorts over top of my cycling shorts......and if I wear bib shorts, I like to wear the straps on the outside of my jersey.....I also like to use one of those orange "visibility flags" on a stick attached to my rear dropout...I learned that trick from when I ride my recumbent...I never use a water bottle because I like to use a HUGE camelback...and I have clip-on aero bars on my mountain bike...and I use panniers, a fullsize seatpack and a handlebar bag even on short rides to carry all of my stuff....for example, I carry a truing stand because I once broke a spoke...

Tom
03-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Full replica Credit Mayonnaise isn't.

Heck, I have a polky-dotted Quick-Step jersey Karen gave me and I wear it. However, only on the dawn rides by myself, I don't have the courage to show up at a group ride with that thing on.

I should see who makes it because it is really comfy on hot humid days.

Ozz
03-28-2005, 02:35 PM
I'll wear my plain yellow jersey any time I want...
It doesn't say TDF on it or any other sponsor stuff...nobody with eyes is going to mistake me for LANCE or any other former tour winner...it's JUST A FREAK'N PLAIN YELLOW JERSEY. I don't know why we should be limited on wearing one of the visible colors on our bikes. I *like* yellow.

Oh, I forgot the ankle tether...I wear one of those flashing ankle lights on the left leg when I'm commuting or riding at night...jumpy,flashy,moving light seems to get people's attention. Sellsworth, if you want to up your fred factor, get one. Wear it always, especially on group rides and tours...drives people both on bike and in cars nuts.

Ginger

I'm sorry...not enough (bright yellow) bananas to show I was kidding.....here are some more:

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Didn't mean to hit a nerve...just trying to highlight how silly it can get trying to tell other people how to live....cheers. :beer:

BTW - I like the flashing ankle thingy...good idea for early morning rides!

William
03-28-2005, 02:37 PM
I'll wear my plain yellow jersey any time I want...
It doesn't say TDF on it or any other sponsor stuff...nobody with eyes is going to mistake me for LANCE or any other former tour winner...it's JUST A FREAK'N PLAIN YELLOW JERSEY. I don't know why we should be limited on wearing one of the visible colors on our bikes. I *like* yellow.

I agree. Plain yellow is fair game. At one point our kits came in late and we competed a few races in yellow jerseys (pic). No one said boo about it.

Now, you wouldn't catch me wearing a Core States Stars & stripes replica (eventhough I own one).

William

sellsworth
03-28-2005, 02:45 PM
I have been hoping for a good troll post....
I wear a helmet with a visor too.....and black socks.....and sometimes I wear hiking shorts over top of my cycling shorts......and if I wear bib shorts, I like to wear the straps on the outside of my jersey.....I also like to use one of those orange "visibility flags" on a stick attached to my rear dropout...I learned that trick from when I ride my recumbent...I never use a water bottle because I like to use a HUGE camelback...and I have clip-on aero bars on my mountain bike...and I use panniers, a fullsize seatpack and a handlebar bag even on short rides to carry all of my stuff....for example, I carry a truing stand because I once broke a spoke...

sspielman - very funny post. I hope that you didn't take my original post to be a "troll" post. I was making fun of myself and the cycling community at the same time.

M_A_Martin
03-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Oups! I didn't use Bananas!

Ozz, I didn't take offense...really...I was just making fun of the yellow jersey worshipers...I do know people who won't wear a yellow jersey because it "means" something....

No, it's yellow, you bought it, you didn't win it, it doesn't mean anything...everyone KNOWs the people it means something on...and unless you're one of them? It isn't you and everyone knows it.

:banana:

And nobody, but nobody is going to mistake me for Lance! Or Eddy, or or or...

Hold it...I'm confused...everyone who rides a bike rides with a truing stand...don't they? (They just don't know they have it along for the ride)