PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle Rentals

Ti_on_Steel
05-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Hello all, I wanted to gauge all your opinions on something. If you could rent any one of a number of dream bikes by the week (Pinarello, Cervello, Colnago, Lightspeed, etc.) would you do it, and if so, what would you be willing to pay? I'm trying to help out a friend with a shop figure out pricing. This is still theoretical at this point, but I thought it would be interesting to see what people thought. Thanks.

slowandsteady
05-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Whatever you do I would either include or at least offer insurance for damage to the bike, wheels etc.

I would rent if I am traveling for less than a week. What would I pay, hmmm good question. Maybe $30-$50 a day or $200-$250 a week.

Ken Robb
05-10-2010, 10:21 AM
In most areas I think it would be very difficult to make $$ renting high-end bikes because of price/demand conflict. Most (not nuts like us) folks who are traveling are interested in renting a comfortable easy-to-operate bike for sight-seeing and moderate exercise. The best compromise may be a hybrid.comfort bike with twistgrip shifters. For "serious" cyclists you might offer entry-level road bikes from a decent mass producer. The hybrid/comforts are easier and less critical to adjust for each customer. Swapping stems, saddles and pedals on an Ottrot would probably take too long for the cost to be recoverable. The number of different sizes needed for your rental inventory could be fewer for comfort bikes than racy road bikes.

Once a year you could probably sell your used fleet of inexpensive bikes for 1/2 retail and thereby not lose too much through depreciation and you would not have had too much capital tied up in your rental fleet. I'm not sure you could recover as much selling used high-end bikes because the potential buyers (us) are so much pickier about what size mix are offered.

So I think there would be decent demand for hy-brid with a cost of $400+/- at $25-35 a day I don't think there would be much for a $3000+ bike at $70+ per day even though that rate would be a relative bargain when comparing the values of the bikes.

So I think trying to rent "bike snobs" their dream bikes is a good way to lose one's jersey. :)

rugbysecondrow
05-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Hello all, I wanted to gauge all your opinions on something. If you could rent any one of a number of dream bikes by the week (Pinarello, Cervello, Colnago, Lightspeed, etc.) would you do it, and if so, what would you be willing to pay? I'm trying to help out a friend with a shop figure out pricing. This is still theoretical at this point, but I thought it would be interesting to see what people thought. Thanks.

I agree with what Ken wrote, unless you are in a place that has a high amount of cycling tourist and cycling traffic, then you might have a niche.

I don't mean this as a knock against carbon, but I would stay with naked TI bike for rentals, easy to clean, durable, decals are easier to reapply as needed and they are still high end. Maybe having carbon bikes would be nice, but I would stick with Madones or something nice, but not exotic that you would then sell after a season or two for good value. A naked TI bike never really looks old plus you are not dealing with having to always have the "newest", just upgrade componants as needed.

I have rented bikes when I have traveled, but have always just done sport hybrid just because I was unsure of the terrain and wanted versitility.

fourflys
05-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Here is a good guideline from three places I know that rent road bikes, the first two are in Sonoma County, CA and the third is in San Diego and I bet rents mostly tri bikes vs. road...

I will agree you must have the demand, all three of these places are in bike heavy areas... I'd check some Portland, OR shops as well

http://www.spokefolk.com/rentals/rates.asp

http://www.winecountrybikes.com/Rentals.htm

http://www.nytro.com/Info/rentals.cfm

Idris Icabod
05-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Competitive Cyclist offers this programme and then gives a discount if you buy a bike from them.

Ti_on_Steel
05-10-2010, 12:58 PM
I think travel cyclists are a separate market. Would you pay to just get to play with a really nice bike for a week at home? If your local bike shop had Meivici's or the like, would you want to rent one for a week just to try it out?

Kevan
05-10-2010, 01:20 PM
I had business in Burbank CA and I arranged to rent a Merlin for the weekend. The shop snagged me for $200 which seemed to me a bit steep. The good thing was I was able to expense a portion of the tab.

BengeBoy
05-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Here's the best bike program I've personally encountered -- University Cycles in Boulder, Colorado.

I was in town for a day last November, and wanted something simple to rent for my son and I to buzz around town for the day. Their website is clear; their pricing is clear; the options are clear.

They charge $35 a day for a "road bike" (and they explain what that is) and $85/day for a "performance road bike" (and they explain what that is).

http://ubikes.com/articles/bike-rentals-pg432.htm

For my purposes when I visited, the "road bike" was a great option. If I'm back in Boulder for a visit and want to treat myself to something fun, I'll get a "performance road bike" next time.

Ken Robb
05-10-2010, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE=Kevan]I had business in Burbank CA and I arranged to rent a Merlin for the weekend. The shop snagged me for $200 which seemed to me a bit steep. The good thing was I was able to expense a portion of the tab.[/QUOTE

you got a better deal in San Diego. :)

jabbahop
05-10-2010, 04:25 PM
http://www.bikeconcierge.com//rentals/rentals.php

false_Aest
05-10-2010, 05:09 PM
When my GF came out to visit me Helen's Cycles charges $75/day for a CAAD9 (which I thought was steeeeep).

If that's the going rate and if I had $$$ to burn I'd spend $150+ for a boutique bike with Red/Super Record/E-dura ace and a set of carbon hoops.

I'd also expect to pay an extra $25-$50 for insurance.

I'd also expect to get a severe discount for multiple days. e.g. Peg with Super Record and hoops might be $500 for a week including insurance and delivery.

dogdriver
05-10-2010, 05:27 PM
I rent good bit, most places don't have pure road bikes-- most have either cross-ish / comfort bikes, beach cruisers with or without gears, or mountain bikes if they're in the right area. Places that DO have road bikes usually charge $25-30/day for a decent (think Trek 1200 with 105) bike. "Boutique" rentals, when available, seem to be $75-100/day with a demo program refund if you buy one. I don't mind springing for one of these once or twice a year if I have several hours to ride and good routes available. Usually, however, I'm happy as a clam with a dependable bike that shifts well and doesn't break.

Best, Chris

JohnHemlock
05-10-2010, 05:31 PM
I rent lots of beaters when in Cali, Italy, etc. Usually I am not after some serious road biking but rather a mixture of gawking and riding. So Trek junkers work fine for me. I would probably pop for a coupled bike before I tossed down $80-$100 a day for a week of marquee bike rental.

KeithS
05-10-2010, 06:33 PM
I have had experience shipping my bike in the winter from the frozen north to Florida. My costs are about $100 each way for shipping, I rent a box and wrenches at the shop are much better at packing than I am, it is also worth something to me to not have to worry.

A year ago my wife and I celebrated our anniversary in Scottsdale, I made a reservation for her in the spa and I found a bike ride. I rented an OK Trek 5.2 something or other. It fit well, all DA, well maintained. Cost me $100 all in (insurance, delivery etc) for a 24 hour period. I was happy to pay it. Last trip shipping my bike to FL and doing the unpack myself, I could have rented a Felt or Cervelo or something for about $300 for a week. I ran out of time and had them ship it back, label fell off box, had to pound on FedEx pretty hard to take notice, after a week lost it showed up. Lot less hassle, to rent there.

Nice shop in Naples too. As Benge mentioned, a high end shop can make it work. Good web site, clear information. simple pricing model. Oh yeah and nice stuff. The guys I rented from on my trip to Phoenix were not a retail shop. Rental was their business. Location, location, location...

Everyone wants value. As a customer once said to me "I want to sit in the front row for a dime.."

dekindy
05-10-2010, 07:07 PM
http://www.rentabikenow.com/default.aspx

This looks like a good place to research your question.

emckee1
05-10-2010, 08:32 PM
I second BengeBoy re: University Bikes' rental program in Boulder. I reserved a high end Specialized on line. When I arrived to pick up the bike, they had just gotten in a new stainless steel Indy Fab and asked if I would be interested in changing my pick. I thought about it for a nanosecond, and once I was sure they weren't kidding, jumped on their offer. A well spent $85.

Neil
01-13-2015, 03:42 AM
I'm going to be in Colorado this weekend or the next, and would like to get out into the mountains whilst I'm there.

I was intending on hiring a Super Six from University Bicycles, as I have an SiSl crankset with a powermeter (P2M type-S) which I had hoped they could put on for me, but apparently it's not something they can do.

This is a deal breaker for me as I'm a total nerd.

Does anyone know of a place that will hire me a bike and would be happy to stick some cranks on? I'm happy to pay for this to happen.

Alternatively, would anywhere rent me a powertap wheel?

Ideally in Boulder.

Neil
01-13-2015, 01:58 PM
Related question - would it be insanity to go cycling in the mountains right now?

josephr
01-13-2015, 02:25 PM

If he's a high end shop, it makes sense to have a demo plan and then just 'rent' the demos like many shops. Can't speak for everyone, but can't say I'd just 'rent' a dream bike just cause its a dream bike. If I were on vacation and had an opportunity to rent something really nice, I'd take up the opportunity, but I wouldn't pay much more than a regular ole rental.

Singletrack Factory in Denver 'demo'd' a Yeti SB95 for three days for $80 a few years ago. Rented Trek XCalibers in Tucson for $40/day for me and the wife. Other than that, rentals were just the cruiser/hybrids/city bikes when on vacation. If we're 'driving' to the destination, I take my own bike on the rack.

Richard
01-13-2015, 02:44 PM
A local bike shop here (Upstate NY) has rates for hybrids, hardtail MTB, FS MTB, road, etc. Ranges from $40 up and you can rent racks as well.

Follow the link: http://www.overlookmountainbikes.com/rentals.php

Vinci
01-13-2015, 03:11 PM
In an area where big events are held, I think it could work well.

People traveling in from all over for a triathlon (for example) could rent a high-end rig for the event instead of having to fly with or ship theirs. This could even work for guys that don't have a super nice rig to race on and want to drop $100 or so for a (possible) advantage in the event.

I would think that I'd rather pay $100-200 to rent a really nice rig for a short trip than pay that much (or more) to fly with my own.

Neil
01-14-2015, 03:55 PM
I think the thing to do would be to buy a rear wheel with a Powertap hub, and leave that in Colorado.

I can then hire a Super Six/ whatever from University Cycles.

They don't sell Powertap, would anyone be able to recommend somewhere to order a powertap rear wheel from?

Points given for good price!

EDS
01-14-2015, 04:09 PM
I'm going to be in Colorado this weekend or the next, and would like to get out into the mountains whilst I'm there.

I was intending on hiring a Super Six from University Bicycles, as I have an SiSl crankset with a powermeter (P2M type-S) which I had hoped they could put on for me, but apparently it's not something they can do.

This is a deal breaker for me as I'm a total nerd.

Does anyone know of a place that will hire me a bike and would be happy to stick some cranks on? I'm happy to pay for this to happen.

Alternatively, would anywhere rent me a powertap wheel?

Ideally in Boulder.

http://www.racedaywheels.com/

Could also look into spinlister: https://www.spinlister.com/

Neil
01-14-2015, 04:44 PM
Thanks for that, there's a Cannondale Silk Road in Boulder that would probably fit (although the stem looks short, but whatevs).

Might look quite entertaining with some Zipp 404's on it!

EDS
01-14-2015, 05:02 PM
Thanks for that, there's a Cannondale Silk Road in Boulder that would probably fit (although the stem looks short, but whatevs).

Might look quite entertaining with some Zipp 404's on it!

Maybe you could cut a deal with Pro's Closet - you buy a used powertap wheel from them and then put it back on the auction block at the end of the week.

Neil
01-19-2015, 05:21 AM
Waiting at the airport now - decided to pack running gear and will research the situation further.

I would expect to be in Colorado a couple of times a year, plus a degree of European travel so I'd like to resolve this.

I may build myself an S&S coupled bike, or if hire bikes are in general available, buy the Brim Brothers cleats when they come out.

1centaur
01-19-2015, 07:22 AM
Just commenting on the OP's business question:

The big problem with renting really high end bikes is that not only does the inventory cost a lot more than an "acceptable" brand but the experience the renter wants goes up as well, which means Ultegra or Dura Ace rather than 105, and higher end wheels and tires. Because who wants to rent a dream bike and get the experience undermined by an extra 300 grams of stout components? And if the shifting is not perfect, the complaints will be louder, and if they hit social media...

When I looked around at rental sites in nice locations, I quickly decided that a Scott or mid-level Specialized was as nice as I could expect to see and that was fine compared to some utility bike. People in that rental mode probably have a nice bike or two and are scared off of bringing it by hassle and expense. They know they have to trade down and make compromises, and if faced with a choice between a Dogma and a Scott for $30 a day difference they might well pick the Scott because they won't expect perfection anyway.

For the provider, one frame that cost $3,000 at wholesale getting messed up by a customer once a year is going to cost a lot of profit so insurance needs to be mandatory for any transaction. Run the numbers on utilization rates and I think the mid-level good enough frame is going to pencil out a lot better than the dream frame.

Neil
01-19-2015, 07:11 PM
I would 100% have rented the Super Six Evo SRAM red from U Cycles, rather than something mid-range, and would have happily paid for the workshop time to swap the cranks over/back again.

fkelly
01-20-2015, 12:37 PM
If I wasn't so old and so retired, including from web stuff:

what we need is an AIRBNB or VRBO or Homeaway for bike rentals. A Bike-away site could probably be built on the code from one of those sites modified to deal with bikes rather than inventing from scratch.

How many of us have "extra" bikes hanging round our garages that we'd be willing to rent to a responsible person and assuming we had proper insurance to remove any liability?

Have potential renters register on the site and provide a validated credit card. There would be a registration fee to cover expenses including insurance. There would be rental fees paid to the site and reimbursed to the renter as well as a damage deposit. Insurance would cover "accidental" damage.

Site would have pictures, descriptions, sizing etc. on the bikes.