PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Legend Ti what to do? Advice needed.

amgc36
05-09-2010, 09:02 PM
Hi,
I have a Legend Ti I bought new as a frameset in 1994 that's been hanging in the garage for a few years. It was my first nice bike purchase after I landed a job upon finishing grad school. I built it up using parts from my old Puch. It has a 1990 Campy Chorus headset, late 90s Campy Chorus alloy crank and brakes and a 7 speed drive train with Mavic wheels. I have since added other bikes, including a Moots Compact SL and an IF SSR. I've been trying to figure out what to do with the Legend. I think it's a bit flexy for me but it might be the wheels? I know that the Moots Compact SL is plenty stiff, the Calfee Tetra Pro I have (and since unbuilt) is also stiff compared with the Legend.

Would it be worth it to turn it into an urban workhorse- get rack eyelets brazed on? Should I sell off the frame/fork (a Kinesis aluminum)? Seems like the going rate is pretty low compared to replacement.

Or perhaps turn it into a Rohloff or Singlespeed? I've always thought about adding a good commuter or a pseudo psycholocross (maybe more of a path bike). I keep looking at (and for) a Moots Psychlo-x. Any ideas on how to turn what I already have into a bike to fit a need that's not met?

Thanks.

Bill

rdparadise
05-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Bill:

I believe the early Legends where no where near as stiff as the more current editions. Secondly, I don't believe any rendition of a much wider tire bike will work either. The front fork does not have the clearance for much wider than probably a 25mm tire.

My opinion is the best option would be a townie bike set up as a fixie. Comfortable and it meets a need that you don't already have met.

Good luck,

Bob

amgc36
05-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Bob,

Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought about tire clearance.

Since it's a 7 speed in the back, would it be right to assume the chainstays are 126? Would this rule out an internal hub arrangement unless I have the stays widened?

Trying to figure out how much effort will be involved in the various incarnations.

Marcusaurelius
05-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Well I had a 1994 Colorado Ti (name later changed to Legend Ti )and I found it stiff with F1 fork even for my 200 + lbs and I ridden a newer (2006) Serotta Ti and I didn't think it was any stiffer.

It is a racing bike so tire clearance and fender clearance are tight as virtually impossible for standard fenders.

An F1 carbon fork would make a difference.

It's not a 56L is it? :)

Marcusaurelius
05-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Well I had an early 90's Serotta legend Ti and I found it stiff with F1 fork even for my 200 + lbs and I ridden a newer (2006) Serotta Ti and I didn't think it was any stiffer.

It is a racing bike tire clearance and fender clearance are tight as virtually impossible for standard fenders.

Rear dropout spacing on 1990's frame was 130mm...ops I'm not sure how I got a double post.

amgc36
05-09-2010, 11:12 PM
It's a 57L i.e. 57x57.

Do they make threaded 1 inch carbon forks? Or, if threadless, aren't stems for 1 inch steerers rare?

msl819
05-09-2010, 11:31 PM
1 1/8 stems can be shimmed to fit a 1 inch steerer tube to a 1 1/8 stem. i have done this without any issue. i am sure you could find a 1 inch stem but this opens up all options with a shim.

Marcusaurelius
05-10-2010, 09:05 AM
It's a 57L i.e. 57x57.

Do they make threaded 1 inch carbon forks? Or, if threadless, aren't stems for 1 inch steerers rare?

There are several 1" threadless carbon forks still being made and as someone said, you simply use a shim with an 1 1/8" stem.

Used Serotta F-1 threaded (and threadless at times) carbon often show up for sale here. It's the best carbon fork I've ridden. It usally sells for around $80-$100. Of course a steel serotta fork would also be a good option and they show up for sale here frequently as well as that other place.

CSI Man
05-10-2010, 02:59 PM
It's a 57L i.e. 57x57.

Woundup makes a great carbon fork that is available with a 1" threaded steerer. I have one on my Ti bike. It really looks cool.

CSI Man

amgc36
05-10-2010, 04:44 PM
The Woundup 1" carbon threadless looks good, I'll look for a dealer. I'm sure the F1 fork is nice as is Edge but I don't think it makes sense to spend as much on a new fork as the frame is worth...

93LegendTG
05-10-2010, 06:07 PM
IMHO: What the going rate of the frame on the used market has nothing to do with the real value of the frame. The problem is the aluminum fork. The frame is on par with any Ti frame being built today. I would have no problem justifying the cost of purchasing a new Serotta F3 with a 1 inch steerer; the frame deserves it and would ride with the best of them. That said, an inexpensive option might be to pick up something like a used Colnago steel Precisia fork on ebay.

bfd
05-11-2010, 12:08 AM
For 1" carbon forks, don't forget Easton. The Easton EC90 SL comes with 1" steerer tube and the fork weighs 349g!

http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/FORKS/09/fork_ec90_SL_%2709.html

For those needing something more aero, the EC90 Aero is also available in 1" and weighs a bit more at 385g.

Good Luck!

130R
05-11-2010, 12:40 AM
there are a couple 1" reynolds ouzo pro's in the classifieds right now :cool:

amgc36
05-11-2010, 02:08 AM
I may try either a Serotta fork or an Easton. All my bikes have had Ouzo Pros, want to see what else is out there.

I think that with the stock Kinesis frame I have shortchanged the Legend Ti so I think I will update it here and there and see how things turn out.

Pete Serotta
05-11-2010, 07:06 AM
I have the same bike as you have but put an S3 1 inch fork on it, but you will need to go threadless with most modern forks.

I was not a fan of the Kinesis fork for I found it soft. The question for you to ask your self is "why do you not ride it?" If it is because it is flexy, than order a custom S3 fork from Serotta. If it is that you like your other bikes better, than sell the Legend and move on. Over the years I have upgraded bikes to find out I still did not ride them much, even after I spend $$ on it.

I like the LEGEND LOTS!!! but a MOOTS is also one of my favorites even though I do not have one:) :)

PETE

I may try either a Serotta fork or an Easton. All my bikes have had Ouzo Pros, want to see what else is out there.

I think that with the stock Kinesis frame I have shortchanged the Legend Ti so I think I will update it here and there and see how things turn out.

amgc36
05-11-2010, 01:44 PM
The Serotta site lists both the F3 and S3 forks as being available in 1 inch steerer for $249. I then proceeded to look for user reports on the two forks in the forum but found nothing on the S3. There is sparse information otherwise. Does anyone know which is truly available and if both are, which one would be the proper replacement for the stock Kinesis?

I'm 6'1 200 (working my way to 180 I hope)...

Thanks,

Bill

amgc36
05-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Just figured out that the $249 is the 2 color paint cost and prices are 649 and 425... Easton is looking good.

Pete Serotta
05-12-2010, 04:18 PM
the S3 is the one I have. Also mine is not painted. The paint can run from a minimum of 150 for a single color to many times that depending on the design. The one I have is not painted and just has the Serotta decal.

The Serotta site lists both the F3 and S3 forks as being available in 1 inch steerer for $249. I then proceeded to look for user reports on the two forks in the forum but found nothing on the S3. There is sparse information otherwise. Does anyone know which is truly available and if both are, which one would be the proper replacement for the stock Kinesis?

I'm 6'1 200 (working my way to 180 I hope)...

Thanks,

Bill

amgc36
05-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I'm working with my LBS on getting an S3 or Easton, whatever we can find in stock with a carbon steerer.