PDA

View Full Version : UltraTorque 101

TexasJohn
05-09-2010, 09:38 AM
I have a 53/39 Campy UT crank and want to swap in a 50/34 - same model.

LBS wants $50 to change the crank and adjust parts.

Is this something I can do myself?? Thanks for helping a rookie.

Steve in SLO
05-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Yes, you can do it relatively easily.
You will need a 10mm allen socket drive, a torque wrench and a small flat-bladed screwdriver to swap out the crankset. It should take about 15 minutes to R & R the crankset for the first time. Tightening torque is 50n-m, iirc.
In addition, you'll need to lower your front derailleur a smidge, and perhaps take a link or two out of your chain, but that's about it.
Look at the Campy website. There are manuals on pdf that will give you directions.
If you can't find the manuals, PM me and I will send you a spare manual.
Good luck!
Steve

Dave
05-09-2010, 10:17 AM
The swap is simple. Use an 10mm hex bit with a short extension and rachet handle to remove the center fixing bolt. Remove the spring clip from the right side cup. Remove both sides of the crank by wiggling and pulling outward. Keep track of the wave washer that goes in the left cup.

Clean out the cups and coat the inside with some grease before installing the new crank. The bearings on one the crank spindles, so you don't have to mess with bearings. Reinstall the wave washer in the left cup.

Install the right side crankarm, replace the spring clip, then install the left side crankarm. Install the center fixing bolt from the right side and torque to 42Nm.

The FD will need to be lowered by 6mm to restore the 1-2mm clearance between the cage and the big ring. Be sure that your FD mount allows this much movement before you start the job or buy the crank, for that matter. Some braze-on mounts won't go low enough.

If you don't have a torque wrench, you will need to buy or borrow one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyxCengPUbM

TMB
05-09-2010, 10:42 AM
FWIW ......

I have never used a torque wrench on UT cranksets.

A little white teflon tape on the bolt threads, thread it into the Hirth joint and tighten it, basically as tight as you can get it.

TexasJohn
05-09-2010, 11:09 AM
What kind of grease do I use on the cups?

I assume I can get it and the link tool at the LBS?

SoCalSteve
05-09-2010, 11:23 AM

Isn't the BCD different on standard and compact crank sets? Or, does this not apply with Campy?

ridefixed
05-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Will you keep the same length chain on there?

TexasJohn
05-09-2010, 01:51 PM
SoCalSteve, I have the entire crankset, not just the rings. From what I can tell, with UT it's a straight swap.

RF, I will try the same length chain first, but may need to take out a couple.

TMB
05-09-2010, 02:05 PM
SoCalSteve, I have the entire crankset, not just the rings. From what I can tell, with UT it's a straight swap.

RF, I will try the same length chain first, but may need to take out a couple.

You will NEED to shorten the chain.

Dave
05-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Whether the chain needs to be 1-inch shorter depends on how the length was set in the first place. Campy recommends the little/little method. If the chain does not hang loose or rub on the RD cage in that combo, it won't need to be shortened. If that method was used, then yes, it should be too long and will need to be shortened by 1 inch. The only way to shorten a Campy chain is with the use of a properly fitting master link.

Any decent grease will do for the cups.

oldpotatoe
05-10-2010, 07:49 AM

Need a long 10mm allen wrench and a 5mm allen wrench and the ability to adjust a FD. Aso a chain tool to shorten the chain and a Wipperman or others link to put it back together.

I am not in the habit of slamming other bike shops but $50 seems a little high. I would charge $30.

TexasJohn
05-10-2010, 11:26 AM
$30 sounds worth the trouble. Plus I would have to buy the 10mm hex driver.
I'll find another bike shop...plenty in Boulder. Offender shall remain nameless.
Thanks all !

sc53
05-10-2010, 11:34 AM
My bike shop only charged me $20 to swap out crank and BB! YAY Spokes!

Bob Loblaw
05-15-2010, 08:04 PM
You will NEED to shorten the chain.

Not necessarily. Specially if he's currently running a medium or long cage rear D.

BL