PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Ear Buds for cycling

veggieburger
05-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Yes, I ride with my ipod, but only in the country. It seems I have trashed Apple headphone pair #2, I assume it's from the sweat. Does anyone have experience with a good pair of ear buds that don't mind a bit of sweat?

kong79
05-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Sorry, no advice here, except don't do it. The only places I've ever had close calls was out in the country so I kind of like to keep all my senses on alert when I'm out riding, no matter where that might be.

echelon_john
05-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Etymotic ER6i.

They go pretty far in your ears and block wind noise (and reduce other noise, which can be a plus or minus depending on your perspective) so you don't need to crank your music to hear it. Excellent fidelity/clarity, pretty durable. Replaceable filter/ear gasket, so sweat shouldn't be an issue.

Ride with earbuds at your own risk, but these are what I use.

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Isolator-Earphones-White/dp/B0002ZW5W4

Good luck,
John

Dekonick
05-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Ummm...

A word of advice from a paramedic...

Don't.

I am sure the ER doc's and LEO's on the forum will agree.

Louis
05-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Thread Drift

Not to be an old fuddy-duddy, but why would someone need music while outside on a bike?

I can see it inside on a trainer, but outside there's already so much stuff to either keep track of so you don't get killed, or to enjoy, why would you need to add more sensory inputs? It just closes you up into your own little world. You're supposed to be opening up and taking things in, not zoning out to the music.

Steve in SLO
05-08-2010, 10:42 PM
I use a mono single earbud in my right ear, keeping the volume pretty low. I think it was about $8 on eBay. No use paying much, since the wind keeps you from experiencing audiophile-grade sound.

JohnHemlock
05-08-2010, 10:45 PM
I like SkullCandy, either Titans or Smokin Buds. Cheap and they last me until I lose them, or break them while strangling a drifter to get an erection.

I imagine your ratio on this thread will be around 1:5. Meaning 1 actual answer to your post for every 5 "YOU'RE GOING TO DIE"s.

Louis
05-08-2010, 10:50 PM
they last me until I lose them, or break them while strangling a drifter to get an erection.

I need background music while doing that, so I use piano wire, not ear-buds.

Wilkinson4
05-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Bad idea, except on a trainer. Westone is my choice, UM1. Again, don't ride with buds. Especially in the country where you can hear the big trucks down the road before they pass you!

mIKE

martinrjensen
05-08-2010, 10:52 PM
different strokes for different folks. I see no problem with ear buds and I don't think they detract from any experience. I don't "need" music outside, but I like it just like I don't "need" it inside. Inside, outside, no difference.
Etomotic 4P are what I use. They go deep in the ear canal but once you get used to them they are great.Thread Drift

Not to be an old fuddy-duddy, but why would someone need music while outside on a bike?

I can see it inside on a trainer, but outside there's already so much stuff to either keep track of so you don't get killed, or to enjoy, why would you need to add more sensory inputs? It just closes you up into your own little world. You're supposed to be opening up and taking things in, not zoning out to the music.

nm87710
05-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Phillips

false_Aest
05-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Hommés . . . .

The thread title wasn't "Should I wear headphones while riding."
The thread title WAS "Advice on Ear Buds for cycling"

Give the dude a break. Go start a political thread.

snah
05-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Hommés . . . .

No, really, please don't!!! :help:

Louis
05-09-2010, 12:20 AM
What about mirrors?

Seems to me that if you are using ear buds you'd want a mirror to compensate :p

martinrjensen
05-09-2010, 12:26 AM
I can't get the mirrors in my ears

Elefantino
05-09-2010, 02:27 AM
Hommés . . . .

What ear buds does Obama use?

jasond
05-09-2010, 06:37 AM
I honestly just like the Apple ear buds since I have an iPhone they allow me to change the song, change the playlist, volume up/down, answer a phone call.

Mirrors? They make them for bicycles?

I personally like to ride around with the volume at 11 (when I'm not talking on the phone of course) and I find that this never hinders my ability to see on coming cars.

victoryfactory
05-09-2010, 06:51 AM
I personally like to ride around with the volume at 11 (when I'm not talking on the phone of course) and I find that this never hinders my ability to see on coming cars.

It's not the oncoming cars that you need to hear, friend

aarondgirard
05-09-2010, 07:04 AM
I use the Bose mobile in ear headphones (just the right side). They offer the same features of the stock apple ones for iPhone users (play, pause, skip, call answer, etc), but have far superior sound quality to anything else I have tried...

BumbleBeeDave
05-09-2010, 08:02 AM

OK, that's IT! The AUDACITY! The TIMERITY! The outright CHUTZPAH! You're BANNED, Elephant Man! Ejected! Ostrich-sized! Excommunicado! OUTTA here! :eek: :rolleyes: :p

But the "strangling drifters" thing . . . that's totally OK! :rolleyes:

BBD

kbainter
05-09-2010, 08:07 AM
It's not the oncoming cars that you need to hear, friend

Right, because you hear the one coming up behind you milliseconds before it hits your or clips you which leaves you no time to react anyway. So your point is?

endosch2
05-09-2010, 09:01 AM
I had a funny experience nordic skiing this winter, I went out with my JVC Ear buds for the first time ever skiing, decided to listen to some motivational "rage against the machine", and had a terrible ski. My balance was way off which I thought was due to snow or just having an off day. I took them off, and whammo I was skiing as normal- no balance issues. I took the event to something with the inner ear and the volume of the music.

I went out again a week or so later and used the regular white headphones that come with an IPOD and no problems, even at a high volume.

I thought that was strange...

Wilkinson4
05-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Right, because you hear the one coming up behind you milliseconds before it hits your or clips you which leaves you no time to react anyway. So your point is?

I don't agree with that. I can hear trucks several seconds before they overtake me... That said, I hate riding in headwinds not only because it sucks, but it just seems that it severely screws up my ability to hear what is behind me.

I posted this yesterday, then removed it since it strayed from the OP question but I think it is a good question to ask.

We crucify drivers on their cell phones because they are "distracted" and not in full command of their faculties. How is this any different? By using earbuds, you are taking away one of your key senses and you are distracted to a point, no?

Someone mentioned using only a mono, maybe in the right ear. Maybe that is a good compromise, I dunno.

mIKE

Wilkinson4
05-09-2010, 10:10 AM

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01412/headphones_1412073i.jpg

mIKE

Steve in SLO
05-09-2010, 10:24 AM
My single earbud really doesn't distract much, although when I first started riding it I admittedly had some lapses. SOmeone suggested using a mirror to 'compensate'. I have used a mirror for 10+ years and now feel a bit naked without it. It has saved my bacon a number of times. Not because I was dawdling along in mid-lane and didn't hear a car coming up, but rather I saw a car drifting towards me and had time to steer off onto the dirt to avoid a hit. None of these instances had anything to do with my not hearing the car, but all were avioded by my ability to see the car.
Being an ex-racer and a slave to fashion, I a use a Cycleaware Viewpoint mirror. I rode with a regular riding partner for many years and he never could figure out how I was able to tell a pickup truck from a car approaching.

fourflys
05-09-2010, 10:27 AM
I use my ipod occassionally as well when I ride...

I initially spent way too much money on a pair of Shure ear buds, but could never get them to feel right in my ears...

I went and got a chaper set of Sony ear buds from Best Buy and couldn't be happier...

BTW- I only wear an ear bud in my right ear while riding.... I can still hear all the traffic coming up behind me except maybe a Hybrid in stealth mode... ;)

fourflys
05-09-2010, 10:32 AM
I had a funny experience nordic skiing this winter, I went out with my JVC Ear buds for the first time ever skiing, decided to listen to some motivational "rage against the machine", and had a terrible ski. My balance was way off which I thought was due to snow or just having an off day. I took them off, and whammo I was skiing as normal- no balance issues. I took the event to something with the inner ear and the volume of the music.

I went out again a week or so later and used the regular white headphones that come with an IPOD and no problems, even at a high volume.

I thought that was strange...

everyone's ear canals are different, but maybe the JVC's made such a good seal inside your canal that you were not allowing your ear drum to move as it should and that could throw off your balance...

majl
05-09-2010, 10:33 AM
airdrives: http://www.airdrives.com/

The bud does not sit in your ear canal, but rather in front of it. There is a small volume control with a slide switch in the cord. I can listen to background music, hear the traffic, or carry on a normal conversation.

Great for trail running too as I can hear speeding MTBers coming up behind me.

Been using them for almost 2 years now.

Ti_on_Steel
05-09-2010, 11:30 AM
If you are going to do it (and you really shouldn't) I recommend Nike Vapors. They are pretty sweat proof.

crazymonk
05-09-2010, 11:44 AM
I am using the Altec Lansing bluetooth sterio headset. It has a Mic and I can answer calls while I am on my ride. In most cases I don't think the customer even knows that I am not in front of my computer. I just pull over and take out my phone to schedule the appointment. It works very nice for me. I don't think the sound quality is great but it was worth it for the upside.

godfrey1112000
05-09-2010, 11:46 AM
when I come up on someone tuned in I step it up an drop them or let them go on

they are dangerous

don't wear them

zap
05-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Advice.

Cyclists don' wear ear buds.

So, since Obama is not a cyclist.....

martinrjensen
05-09-2010, 02:46 PM
The problem with cell phones is not the part about holding the phone but the part about talking on the cell phone. I think it's OK to listen, but when you are conversing, that's where the biggest distraction comes in. IMO this will happen whether the cell phone is hands free or not. Listening with my Etmotic buds I am aware of my surroundings. I will admit that I don't hear as well behind me but I can easily compensate by looking behind me more often. the Etymotic's cancel out most of the wind noise also. One of my filters got plugged once and I ended up with the equivalent of one good ear bud. Not as good a listening experience, in fact if I had to do that, I would just as soon go without them completely, which I do about half the time anyway. I only cary my MP3 player if I am riding alone.
[QUOTE=snipped....We crucify drivers on their cell phones because they are "distracted" and not in full command of their faculties. How is this any different? By using earbuds, you are taking away one of your key senses and you are distracted to a point, no?

Someone mentioned using only a mono, maybe in the right ear. Maybe that is a good compromise, I dunno.

mIKE[/QUOTE]

rugbysecondrow
05-09-2010, 04:42 PM

I think he is cool enough for these...

rugbysecondrow
05-09-2010, 04:44 PM
when I come up on someone tuned in I step it up an drop them or let them go on

they are dangerous

don't wear them

In some of the triathlons I do, I see people wearing headphones. The rub is that when I pass them ( and announce it) they don't hear it. I don't care what people do by themselves, but it is dangerous in any sort of a race or situation where there are other riders around.

onekgguy
05-09-2010, 04:54 PM
My single earbud really doesn't distract much, although when I first started riding it I admittedly had some lapses. SOmeone suggested using a mirror to 'compensate'. I have used a mirror for 10+ years and now feel a bit naked without it. It has saved my bacon a number of times. Not because I was dawdling along in mid-lane and didn't hear a car coming up, but rather I saw a car drifting towards me and had time to steer off onto the dirt to avoid a hit. None of these instances had anything to do with my not hearing the car, but all were avioded by my ability to see the car.
Being an ex-racer and a slave to fashion, I a use a Cycleaware Viewpoint mirror. I rode with a regular riding partner for many years and he never could figure out how I was able to tell a pickup truck from a car approaching.

Yup, that's the same little mirror I've used for the past 8 or more years. Funny, you have people saying how listening to music is going to take away one of your senses and so it must be a bad idea. I wonder how many of these same people think that riding with a mirror is a dumb idea?

I use Sennheiser earpbuds similar to these (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GSZAF0/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000E6G9RI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0D52VY7R351H5TC6TQ6N) and like the way they lock into your ear and don't pop out.

Kevin g

Wilkinson4
05-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Yup, that's the same little mirror I've used for the past 8 or more years. Funny, you have people saying how listening to music is going to take away one of your senses and so it must be a bad idea. I wonder how many of these same people think that riding with a mirror is a dumb idea?

I use Sennheiser earpbuds similar to these (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GSZAF0/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000E6G9RI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0D52VY7R351H5TC6TQ6N) and like the way they lock into your ear and don't pop out.

Kevin g

I think a mirror gives you spidey senses, whereas wearing earbuds take away a key one imo. I wear a mirror if touring for sure.

mIKE

JohnHemlock
05-09-2010, 07:24 PM

I don't think a mirror is a dumb idea but I do feel that if I use one I would have to grow a snowy beard and ride a recumbent. Guess I need to get over it.

/thread drift.

Steve in SLO
05-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Advice.

Cyclists don' wear ear buds.

So, since Obama is not a cyclist....
Dammit! I have been demoted to a bicycle rider :crap:

I don't think a mirror is a dumb idea but I do feel that if I use one I would have to grow a snowy beard and ride a recumbent. Guess I need to get over it.

Double Dammit! A bearded recumbent-riding bicycle rider at that :crap:

Guess I'll have to sell the Speedvagen, then.

ahumblecycler
05-09-2010, 08:04 PM
What the hell people. The OP asked for experience regarding ear buds that can endure sweat. Instead, many posters took the opportunity to preach their values (start a different thread to debate this). It is the OP's decision to wear them or not; can respect not be given?

To the OP - I use am currently using Skullcandy ink'd. I typically get 5-6 months per set. I wear them throughout rain with no issues. I also like how the ear buds come with 3 different ear piece sizes. I also find the plug in to be robust. I have found other models to become loose quickly, which hurts sound quality.

vqdriver
05-09-2010, 08:10 PM
I imagine your ratio on this thread will be around 1:5. Meaning 1 actual answer to your post for every 5 "YOU'RE GOING TO DIE"s.

hehehehe :)

i got hammered on this subject as well.
i use sony earbuds with an in-line volume adjuster. use the right bud and let the left side hang loose. you can hear oncoming traffic, motor or otherwise, and the in-line volume works well for changing conditions. it's holding up quite well to 2+ years of use so far.

i'll add that i listen primarily to podcasts, not music. so depending on the recording, the levels can change quite abruptly. again, the volume control is key.

jasond
05-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Jaybird is suppose to make a pair of head phones that are water and sweat resistant. All their head phones have a life time warranty against sweat.

Jaybird (http://www.jaybirdgear.com/)

Tyler Evans
05-09-2010, 09:07 PM
To the OP - I use am currently using Skullcandy ink'd. I typically get 5-6 months per set. I wear them throughout rain with no issues. I also like how the ear buds come with 3 different ear piece sizes. I also find the plug in to be robust. I have found other models to become loose quickly, which hurts sound quality.

+1

I'm using the same ones. They work great. I tried several others and none were as good (sound and fit wise). The ear-hole size adapters were the key to their success as well as the $9 price tag at target.

cdn_bacon
05-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Sennheiser:

MX 75 Sport 4.5 stars on cnet.
OMX 70 Sport
PMX 70 Sport
LX 70 Sport
MXL 70 Sport
All made to endure the sports sweat. Not expensive, but great sound.

What about wearing it only in one ear....?

veggieburger
05-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Thanks for all the advice.

While I realize it isn't the smartest thing to do, I simply don't have the concentration to do a long solo ride without them.

xjoex
05-10-2010, 09:29 AM
I love listening to music while mountain biking.

I like the Ultimate Ears Super5vi:
http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimateears/store/products/superfi5.php

-Joe

zap
05-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks for all the advice.

While I realize it isn't the smartest thing to do, I simply don't have the concentration to do a long solo ride without them.

Unless you are focused on cycling specifics such as your fastest century or 20 minute pain fest, what about solo riding requires concentration?

Let the mind wander without artificial influences. Think about solving world problems, plan a garden, improve relationships, etc. Hone your natural senses.

Life offers much so get out of the video game.

SoCalSteve
05-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Unless you are focused on cycling specifics such as your fastest century or 20 minute pain fest, what about solo riding requires concentration?

Let the mind wander without artificial influences. Think about solving world problems, plan a garden, improve relationships, etc. Hone your natural senses.

And, for a completely different perspective.

I get much joy from listening to music when I ride. The combination of the endorphin rush mixed with listening to some great tunes is worth the price of admission for me.

Being at the beach, riding down a nice bike path and listening to some great Yes or ELP (yeah, showing my age)...it doesn't get much better than that!

To each his-her own. As long as no one gets an eye poked out, it's really all good.

victoryfactory
05-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Dear Veggieburger;

Sorry. The earphone debate is a long standing recurring argument here.
There are folks on both sides. It is one of the issues that wakes up
the sleeping dogs. (You won't know which issues they are until you
step in something.)

It occurred to me this morning, as I stood in line at Dunkin Donuts with
all three people in front of me on their cellphones, that something has
changed.

I guess you could call it the I-pod generation (starting with the walkman)

It just doesn't make sense to me to be plugged in to music or phones when
outdoors. I will try to be less pissed off the next time i approach a
skater/jogger/driver/cyclist/bank patron/dog walker/shopper who is so involved in
listening to some artificial ear input that they can't function in what I
consider to be the "real" world. I'll try, but I can't promise.
Nothing personal, I never thought I would be so out of touch with the
modern world to rant on like an old man, I swore it would never happen,
but there you go.

To those of you that enjoy this earphone thing but also keep one ear on the
road, thanks for your thoughtfulness.

btw I just ordered a pair of ear phones mentioned above (for long airplane
rides only) ha ha ha ha

VF

fourflys
05-10-2010, 12:34 PM
I guess you could call it the I-pod generation (starting with the walkman)

We were just talking about this in my Business Information Systems class last week... The term is Homo Conexus (really, it was in the textbook), the current generation is the most connected generation ever.

FWIW- I agree with Steve, it's really nice to buzz along listening to some Floyd or Foo Fighters...

veggieburger
05-10-2010, 02:49 PM

Out of the video game? Not sure that's a fair comparison. Maybe concentration isn't the right word. I think all day, and I find the combination of physical exertion plus enjoyable music a stress-relief par excellence. I'm sure my opinion would change if I was rear-ended by a dump truck...

JohnHemlock
05-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Out of the video game? Not sure that's a fair comparison. Maybe concentration isn't the right word. I think all day, and I find the combination of physical exertion plus enjoyable music a stress-relief par excellence. I'm sure my opinion would change if I was rear-ended by a dump truck...

Agreed. Nothing like hammering along to some Social Distortion or Butthole Surfers. And just because you are listening to music doesn't mean the rest of what you are experiencing is a monochromatic spiritual deprivation tank.