PDA

View Full Version : Expander plug...

oldguy00
05-08-2010, 08:03 PM
With regards to expander plugs, are the type that use rubber rings that push out, reliable? Compared to the ones that are all metal expanders??
thx!

gone
05-08-2010, 08:41 PM
They're fine. I've seen people haul down on that sucker like there's no tomorrow and it's not needed. Keep in mind that all you're doing is giving the headset cap something to pull against to seat the headset and remove play in the fork. The expander plug doesn't have anything to do with holding the fork on - the stem bolts do that.

David Kirk
05-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Put some carbon paste on it so it grips the inside of the steerer well and then snug it up and have a good ride.

dave

Louis
05-08-2010, 08:58 PM
If this makes a difference for you, I'm pretty sure that you can't use an "all metal type, with the petals that dig into the ID of the steerer tube" in a fork with a CF steerer. You need the rubber O-ring to protect the CF.

Caveat: All my bikes use quill stems, so I've never really used one myself.

gone
05-08-2010, 10:13 PM
If this makes a difference for you, I'm pretty sure that you can't use an "all metal type, with the petals that dig into the ID of the steerer tube" in a fork with a CF steerer. You need the rubber O-ring to protect the CF.

Correct.

oldguy00
05-09-2010, 12:44 AM

Caveat: All my bikes use quill stems, so I've never really used one myself.

I know you can't use a star nut, but I meant the all metal ones similar to those that come on a Colnago. No runner rings on those.