PDA

View Full Version : anybody know. incoming Shimano 10 mt cassette with 10 spd brifters

eddief
05-08-2010, 05:33 PM
some scuttle butt on the web would suggest the new 10 speed mt stuff will have a "directional" chain and the parts will not be compatible with 10 road parts. Does this sound like marketing/BS, or intentional incompatibility for worse or better reasons?

All my road bikes are still either 9 spd double or triple, but all have mt cassettes. I'd consider moving up to 10 spd brifters if I knew I could get big fat cassettes in 10 spd. I know IRD makes em, but have not heard great things about those.

dave thompson
05-08-2010, 06:50 PM
some scuttle butt on the web would suggest the new 10 speed mt stuff will have a "directional" chain and the parts will not be compatible with 10 road parts. Does this sound like marketing/BS, or intentional incompatibility for worse or better reasons?

All my road bikes are still either 9 spd double or triple, but all have mt cassettes. I'd consider moving up to 10 spd brifters if I knew I could get big fat cassettes in 10 spd. I know IRD makes em, but have not heard great things about those.
I like my IRD (road) cassettes, I've been running them for a couple of years with no issues at all. IMO better than SRAM.

Louis
05-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Time to start hoarding 9-spd MTB cassettes and rear dérailleurs...

palincss
05-08-2010, 08:42 PM

Why? 7 spd cassettes are still being manufactured.

Louis
05-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Why? 7 spd cassettes are still being manufactured.

Perhaps, but probably not in the same variety as before. For example, back to the 9-spd example, it's much more difficult today to find a 12-34 cassette. Shimano used to offer it in XT, but now you have to go up to XTR to find it, and that's way more expensive.

Jawn P
05-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Sram Apex and XX will both have you covered with wide-range 10spd cassettes.

Ray
05-09-2010, 04:56 AM
Perhaps, but probably not in the same variety as before. For example, back to the 9-spd example, it's much more difficult today to find a 12-34 cassette. Shimano used to offer it in XT, but now you have to go up to XTR to find it, and that's way more expensive.
True, but that's been the case for several years now and those were years where 9-speed was the top of the line for MTB. I've always looked at that particular cassette as a bit of an anomaly - one that pissed me off because its my favorite cassette, but an anomaly nonetheless. You can still get 11-34 cassettes pretty inexpensively. I guess there wasn't that much demand for the 12-34. I personally hate the 3 tooth jump in the middle of the 11-34 and seem to be willing to pay a premium for the 2 tooth jump in the middle of the 12-34. It seems stupid and irrational, but I FEEL that particular gap and big gaps normally don't bother me at all.

-Ray

palincss
05-09-2010, 05:49 AM

And yet, they just introduced the 12-36 9spd @ around $50. In 7, the HG70s were discontinued only a few months ago, but the HG50s are still available AFAIK in all sizes. I'm not aware of any 9spd 12-34 cassette; there isn't one listed here http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#9 and I can't recall ever noticing one.

Ray
05-09-2010, 07:37 AM
And yet, they just introduced the 12-36 9spd @ around $50. In 7, the HG70s were discontinued only a few months ago, but the HG50s are still available AFAIK in all sizes. I'm not aware of any 9spd 12-34 cassette; there isn't one listed here http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#9 and I can't recall ever noticing one.
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=shimano+12-34+cassette

oldpotatoe
05-09-2010, 07:43 AM

sram and shimano's new 10s cogsets are spaced the same as road 10s cogsets so all you need is a long cage '9s' RD, 10s STI and the big cogset, that will all work fine. So called '9s' shimano rear ders shift 10s spacing with 10s STI.