PDA

View Full Version : Another color choice question

Tmogul
03-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Does anybody here use a white saddle with white bar tape? The sella italia flite gelfow transam comes in white now. Does the white rub off or get black from shorts? Yeah this is such a fashion question but there's got to be other choices besides black and black out there right? So seroiusly if anyone here has used white saddles please comment on upkeep. Thanks.

pale scotsman
03-27-2005, 07:02 PM
Some people swear by 'em, but I've had one white saddle and it was the last. It was a white rolls and it looked good the first week I had it. The dye doesn't rub off, but they just end up looking like shiite.

I like white socks though...

Bill Bove
03-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Look at your back issues of Winning Magizine, white saddles are so 80's. I like black saddles and white tape but that's just me. I do have a brand new Fizik Aliante in silver with matching silver tape, one of my bikes is polished Ti and the other is pink with blk/gry/wht trim so they would look good on either one but I just can't do it. Yet.

M_A_Martin
03-27-2005, 07:39 PM
Yep, I think the late 80s was when I had my white concours w/white tape. Rode the heck out of it and the saddle still looks pretty good today.
I've seen more black rub off than white, you just don't notice because most people wear black shorts...but you occasionally see those people with blue shorts and a black patch, especially in the rain...
How "clean" of a rider are you? (I have buddies who should be nicknamed pig pen they collect so much crud on a ride...they certainly shouldn't ride a white saddle and tape...)

White tape. I like it. It doesn't get as dirty as some say...but maybe I'm just a fru fru rider who doesn't get dirty...and if it does get dirty, a sponge and dish soap seem to clean it up just fine.

Tmogul
03-27-2005, 08:32 PM
Well I just think white looks clean and bright with brushed ti frames. I do keep my bike clean. I always wipe down after rides. My friends always comment how dirty their bikes look next to mine. However when I mentioned a white saddle they just thought I was crazy and that it would look nasty in a few weeks like pale said. My favorite saddle is the transam flite and so I'm stuck with their colors. I wish they did have polished ti or silver. And yes I have seen some tour riders with red shorts and black all over their bottoms from the saddle.

By the way which white bar tape do you guys use? The cinelli cork isn't really bright white is it. I think deda and maybe stella azzura (eleganza) have really white tape but not sure. Need to double check. Oh our obssessions with our bikes.

PanTerra
03-27-2005, 09:13 PM
i remember walking into the LBS and all of the bikes had the white saddle/white tape. I thought it looked good. I had a couple of Peugoets from the 80's with the white Selle Italia Turbo's. I have never been as numb as after a ride on those saddles. THe tape when worn could easily be replaced. The saddles would show wear as dark shallow cracks in the leather.

PanTerra
03-27-2005, 09:16 PM
By the way which white bar tape do you guys use? The cinelli cork isn't really bright white is it. I think deda and maybe stella azzura (eleganza) have really white tape but not sure. Need to double check. Oh our obssessions with our bikes.

I use Serfas cork tape. Just as good as any that i have used for only $10.

RichMc
03-28-2005, 02:50 AM
I've got a white Arione with the WCS rainbow stripe on it that's mounted on the Allez Comp. The bike needed a little pazzaz to it and the saddle set it off. Have just over 300 miles on it so far and so far so good. The white does not rub off but it looks like the saddle may need a little touch up cleaning soon.

pjm
03-28-2005, 09:44 AM
Kinda like white belt and shoes to me. If you do it, you'll have to get your hair permed, too! Think Mike Brady. ;)

Tmogul
03-28-2005, 10:40 AM
I forgot about the dark cracks showing up after some use. It makes the white look not so white after a while. Thanks panterra for pointing that out. I'll stick with plain black and maybe stick some white bar tape on but heck you can replace those all the time but not the saddle. Thanks all for responding to such a trivial question.