PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Wheel Rebuild

forfarj
05-07-2010, 09:14 PM
I have a set of Mavic Cosmic Elites and the rear could use a rebuild. The wheel overall is solid but some of the bladed spokes are turned off axis and the bearings and pawls are a bit rough. Has anyone had this done? If so, did you just take it to a shop or did you have to send it off?

Justin

GregL
05-07-2010, 09:38 PM
On a related note, I'd be interested to hear any suggestions to keep the bladed spokes on a Carbone SL from turning off axis.

Thanks,
Greg

TAW
05-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Mavic has a circular spoke holder which has slots to hold the bladed spokes. You turn the nipples with their special spoke wrench and hold the circular spoke holder with your other hand to keep them from turning. They usually include it with their wheels that have the bladed spokes.

oldpotatoe
05-08-2010, 07:47 AM
I have a set of Mavic Cosmic Elites and the rear could use a rebuild. The wheel overall is solid but some of the bladed spokes are turned off axis and the bearings and pawls are a bit rough. Has anyone had this done? If so, did you just take it to a shop or did you have to send it off?

Justin

A decent LBS can OVH the wheel including new bearings in the hub if required.
Tension keeps the spokes into the wind. These freehubs require frequent take apart, OILING and reassembly. Actually very easy.

forfarj
05-08-2010, 08:02 AM
Great info as usual guys! Thank you. I will check around for some LBS options.

Justin

Bob Ross
05-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Has anyone had this done? If so, did you just take it to a shop or did you have to send it off?

Well, it was both actually: I had to take it to the shop (the Mavic dealer where I'd bought the wheels) and they had to send it off to Mavic for a rebuild. Took about 3 weeks total.

GregL
05-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Tension keeps the spokes into the wind.
Agreed, but I have a nearly new set of Carbones that are completely true and properly tensioned (checked with my spoke tension tool). I still note some slight misalignment of the spokes now and then. It's easily remedied by turning them slightly, but it's still annoying. Is this normal for these wheels, or is something amiss?

Thanks,
Greg

TAW
05-08-2010, 03:54 PM
At any given time in a wheel, spokes become (compressed) and lose tension when riding because of the load on them at given points in their revolution. It's not unusual to have the bladed spokes twist a bit and so they become out of alignment.

oldpotatoe
05-09-2010, 07:53 AM
Agreed, but I have a nearly new set of Carbones that are completely true and properly tensioned (checked with my spoke tension tool). I still note some slight misalignment of the spokes now and then. It's easily remedied by turning them slightly, but it's still annoying. Is this normal for these wheels, or is something amiss?

Thanks,
Greg

Raise the tension a wee bit.