PDA

View Full Version : Brain Buckets ( helmets) .........

TMB
05-07-2010, 05:24 PM
I cannot honestly remember the last time I wore anything other than a Bell helmet.

I think more than anything else, I really like the rotary dial fit system, plus, I'm lazy. Go buy the same helmet - what could be easier?

So I tried on a Specialized helmet last night, good lord. You just don't even know it's there.

But, a fit system much like the Giro ones that drive me crazy.

Anyone use the Specialized helmet?

Likes? Dislikes? thoughts, please .............

rnhood
05-07-2010, 05:36 PM
I have the S-Works helmet and its outstanding. I no longer care or even wonder what a new helmet would feel like. Its light, it breaths, and it fits oh so well.

zott28
05-07-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm in need of a new helmet. I'm going to wait until I see what the Catlike's fit is like before I buy one tho.

PCR
05-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Two words: Lazer Genisis. Really the most comfortable helmet I have ever worn. Fit system is spot on. If you are heading down across the CAN/US border come through Lynden and try on my helmet :)

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3758 Pez has a really good review here.

alexstar
05-07-2010, 06:19 PM
I second the Lazer Genesis. My LAS Squalo (RIP) was also extremely comfortable.

130R
05-07-2010, 06:19 PM
i tried the s works helmet. it looks funky on my head.

i have a giro atmos. when i'm riding, i don't even notice it on my head. i also think it keeps my head cooler than when i'm riding without it.

gasman
05-07-2010, 06:53 PM
There are a lot of great helmets that are light and will protect your head. What I look for is one that uses a mold that generally fits my head. I found the Bell and giro helmets didn't as comfortably as the Specialized. So get the one that fits your head and your budget.

avalonracing
05-07-2010, 08:36 PM
I used to hate bike helmets and would train without them. Then I had a freak accident on a training ride without a helmet on where I took a header right into the pavement. I was lucky to live (and live normally).

That said I've been very happy with my higher end Bell helmets but I'm always willing to try something new.

Since I've gotten back into motorcycling I always wear my expensive Arai on the motorbike. Hey, after wearing a full face motorcycle helmet it really makes you appreciate how light and ventilated bicycle helmets are. More than once I've been cooking down a fast descent on my road bike and reached up in a panic because I think that I've forgotten my bike helmet only to find my trusty Bell securely attached.

gemship
05-07-2010, 09:07 PM
I have a Giro Atmos that I purchased new at the dealer for five times as much as I paid for my Bell. I'm not sure why it cost so much more. I like the fit of my Bell better and the difference in weight is less than ten grams. If you ask me the Atmos is a rip off. The only reason why I bought is because it was color coordinated to the race bike I had purchased and I thought it looked faster. Yeah I know that doesn't make sense, in other words new uber bike complimented by new uber helmet.

rounder
05-07-2010, 09:22 PM
I haven't paid that much attention to helmets lately, but i thought i saw a few ads where some of the helmets are now offering bug screens. I have to say that bugs flying into my helmet makes me crazy. Is it just me or are bug screens a desirable feature.

TMB
05-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Bug screens .....

True that. If it ever warms up enough this year that I can go out without a beanie under the helmet, a bug screen is nice.

I got stung twice last year from getting wasps or bees stuck in the helmet.

It isn't pleasant.

Of course that assumes it warms up enough this year to matter.

I see fresh snow on the mountains again tonight.

Elefantino
05-09-2010, 02:46 AM
Helmets are like shoes, almost, because heads are as different as feet, almost.

Cancellara wears Bell. That's all you need to know. :rolleyes:

boneman
05-09-2010, 09:12 PM
I started wearing Bell's in 1974, their first model and stayed with them until the late 90's when I bought a Giro. The Giro didn't fit as well but was lighter and cooler at the time. It got sacrificed in an accident with a pedestrian in London. I then bought a MET Stradavarius. Great helmet and I ended up owning three. One got sacrificed in another accident, one I put into storage and I took one with me to Shanghai. Now after five years of riding everyday, the MET"s padding needs to be replaced.

I bought a Bell Volt. Nothing really wrong with the helmet but I find it's pretty hot for Singapore conditions, warm and humid. No Giro distributor in Singapore so I narrowed the list to Specialized, Catlike (Whisper and Kompact), MET Strad and Sine Thesis, Lazer and BBB. The Specialized didn't work for me as the back straps are pretty far forward and bothered the backs of my ears. The MET Strad is quite different from my model as the back retainer is fixed and doesn't come down far enough to cradle my skull. The Sine Thesis is a nice design with minimal head contact and gel pads. I really liked this one. Finally went to another store and tried on the Catlike Whisper Plus. Unfortunately, they were out of stock in the Whisper Plus but they did have a Whisper on display. It fit like a glove so I bought it the next day. It fits my head quite well and the retention system and straps work for my headshape, ear position, etc. It's also lighter (260gr in medium) versus
the Bell Volt (310gr in medium). Versus the Bell, there is more ventilation around the majority of the head covered by the helmet while the Bell really seems to only cool the very top part of the head.

I cannot honestly remember the last time I wore anything other than a Bell helmet.

I think more than anything else, I really like the rotary dial fit system, plus, I'm lazy. Go buy the same helmet - what could be easier?

So I tried on a Specialized helmet last night, good lord. You just don't even know it's there.

But, a fit system much like the Giro ones that drive me crazy.

Anyone use the Specialized helmet?

Likes? Dislikes? thoughts, please .............

TMB
05-09-2010, 09:17 PM
I started wearing Bell's in 1974, their first model and stayed with them until the late 90's when I bought a Giro. The Giro didn't fit as well but was lighter and cooler at the time. It got sacrificed in an accident with a pedestrian in London. I then bought a MET Stradavarius. Great helmet and I ended up owning three. One got sacrificed in another accident, one I put into storage and I took one with me to Shanghai. Now after five years of riding everyday, the MET"s padding needs to be replaced.

I bought a Bell Volt. Nothing really wrong with the helmet but I find it's pretty hot for Singapore conditions, warm and humid. No Giro distributor in Singapore so I narrowed the list to Specialized, Catlike (Whisper and Kompact), MET Strad and Sine Thesis, Lazer and BBB. The Specialized didn't work for me as the back straps are pretty far forward and bothered the backs of my ears. The MET Strad is quite different from my model as the back retainer is fixed and doesn't come down far enough to cradle my skull. The Sine Thesis is a nice design with minimal head contact and gel pads. I really liked this one. Finally went to another store and tried on the Catlike Whisper Plus. Unfortunately, they were out of stock in the Whisper Plus but they did have a Whisper on display. It fit like a glove so I bought it the next day. It fits my head quite well and the retention system and straps work for my headshape, ear position, etc. It's also lighter (260gr in medium) versus
the Bell Volt (310gr in medium). Versus the Bell, there is more ventilation around the majority of the head covered by the helmet while the Bell really seems to only cool the very top part of the head.

Boneman,

You're killing me. I'll go take another look at the Catlikes. I was in the next town up the valley a couple of weeks ago, and tried on a Lazer they had ( only one in the store) very comfy, but the wrong sizing for me.

Maybe I should wait until I'm in Vancouver and try on the Lazer's as well.

BTW - I still have my original Bell in the laundry room - the old "hairnet" style - haven't worn it in more than 15 years but haven't thrown it out either.

The Brancale is in there too.

BTW (2) - I was driving kidlet #1 to school the other day. Saw someone riding in the direction of downtown with an original ( used to be yellow ) Skid-Lid on. That is getting your money out of a helmet.

boneman
05-09-2010, 09:25 PM
I like the look of the Lazers, both Genesis and Helium. There's a video on YouTube which does a great job explaining the retention system and I like the concept. Unfortunately, no dealer here and I'm not back to the States until August and then only for a weekend in SF. There's so many different mfrs. out there now so trying them on took a couple of weekends here in Singapore after first sorting out who had distributor/retailers here.

Boneman,

You're killing me. I'll go take another look at the Catlikes. I was in the next town up the valley a couple of weeks ago, and tried on a Lazer they had ( only one in the store) very comfy, but the wrong sizing for me.

Maybe I should wait until I'm in Vancouver and try on the Lazer's as well.

BTW - I still have my original Bell in the laundry room - the old "hairnet" style - haven't worn it in more than 15 years but haven't thrown it out either.

The Brancale is in there too.

BTW (2) - I was driving kidlet #1 to school the other day. Saw someone riding in the direction of downtown with an original ( used to be yellow ) Skid-Lid on. That is getting your money out of a helmet.

TMB
05-09-2010, 09:28 PM
I like the look of the Lazers, both Genesis and Helium. There's a video on YouTube which does a great job explaining the retention system and I like the concept. Unfortunately, no dealer here and I'm not back to the States until August and then only for a weekend in SF. There's so many different mfrs. out there now so trying them on took a couple of weekends here in Singapore after first sorting out who had distributor/retailers here.

Part of the reason I suppose that I just keep going back to the Bell well.

Trying on helmets loses its excitement - quickly.

I just noticed, you need to update your location.

boneman
05-09-2010, 10:28 PM
I noticed the location a few months back and then forgot...old age brain fart. Yeah, I too have a Bell hard black hairnet. Just can't seen to get rid of it as despite the weight, it's pretty comfortable on hot days. Probably the "fit" system of foam pads. Lol! Skid Lid, now you're taking me back. I wanted one so bad in the mid-70's. The original Bell bicycle helmet was dorkville while the Skid Lid was cool. Never could find one in the Northeast....

Trying on helmets is definitely a solo experience. Even shop personnel couldn't care less. You get near frames, bikes, wheels and they come by for a chat. You go look at helmets, they can't be bothered.

Part of the reason I suppose that I just keep going back to the Bell well.

Trying on helmets loses its excitement - quickly.

I just noticed, you need to update your location.