PDA

View Full Version : Paint Paralysis

Wilkinson4
05-07-2010, 09:17 AM
I am having a serious case of paint paralysis as I attempt to select colors for a new build. It will be a Carl Strong dirt road bike that will probably be ridden 70% of the time on the road, but maybe more and more on dirt due to crazy drivers.

Anyway, I am openly soliciting suggestions here. Paint is from Spectrum Powder works so any color or combos from the RAL color charts.

Caveat, no red as main color. Looking for some color and a little unique but I'm pretty traditional. Panels are a solid option (Strong block pane).

I like color combos I have seen from Ahearne, MAP, and Vanilla.

mIKE

rustychain
05-07-2010, 09:43 AM
The colors red, black and white have IMO been done to death. Off white just tends to look dirty. I think the industry thinks blue is the next big thing. Myself I am in a distinct minority that likes green. You can go to any art supply store and find charts on complementry colors. Heck they can be found online. I have also seen cad programs that let you " build" your bike. The allow you to "paint" the bike in different colors to give you some idea of what your bike will look like. I'm not going to suggest a color for you. That's a bad idea IMO. After all I can't see your bike from my house :beer:

Ken Robb
05-07-2010, 10:19 AM
one of the prettiest bikes I have seen is a custom Riv that JB painted for DBRK in a blue-green by JB. The color code the JB showed in his records wasn't exactly like the bike in my memory. Then he remembered that when he started painting he decided it would look better with a different undercoat; black instead of white or vice/versa. The Blue/green went on top for a really deep finish.

I had a CSi in Mica Green that was lovely too but just slightly darker than perfect for me It has subtle gold flecks that popped in sunlight but it just looked like a nice dark green in the shade. My Riv Allrounder is Sage Green and I think that color looks particularly appropriate when we are off the pavement.

false_Aest
05-07-2010, 10:39 AM
This Coconino is the tits! I vote for that paintjob.

Climb01742
05-07-2010, 11:06 AM
white with a uniquely colored panel. or celedon is a gorgeous color.

victoryfactory
05-07-2010, 11:39 AM
I always thought this would make a great
color combo on a bike. Base color would be a metallic platinum.

Ozz
05-07-2010, 11:48 AM
This Coconino is the tits! I vote for that paintjob.
you'll never go wrong with blue & white.

That old Raleigh paint scheme with the "mink blue" and white panels is a classic as well.

false_Aest
05-07-2010, 11:56 AM
I could see the Coconino scheme done up in emerald green.

That would also be the tits.

rugbysecondrow
05-07-2010, 12:42 PM
My taylor is going to be matte orange (powder coated) with black decals...should be cool and tough. Will be a travel bike (S&S Coupled) and will have Jack Brown Tires, so able to roll all over the place.

Have fun. What I did was look at non-bike items to come up with my colors.

MattTuck
05-07-2010, 02:15 PM
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Seriously though... I'm not giving you my best ideas. I'm saving those for myself!!

I do have to say that Kirk007's orangy/rust colored bike is one of my favorites.

I think you can do some interesting stuff with light and dark contrasting blue.

I do like the color green, but haven't really been impressed by a green bike yet, so if you go that route... good luck.

Of course, you can't go wrong with white.

dekindy
05-07-2010, 02:24 PM
I had an Arancio colored Fierte that got lots of compliments. You can use Serotta's paint program to help you.

nahtnoj
05-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Darren CT blue Sachs is a winner.

I also like bikes with "shadow" graphics where the logo is a shade or two darker than the main color of the bike.

BCS
05-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Might want to also check Dave Kirk's photo gallery for inspiration

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/photogallery18.htm

Lifelover
05-07-2010, 02:57 PM
I have always been fond of this.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/4586895581_05f59c97e0_o.jpg

cdn_bacon
05-07-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm aware it's not the correct strong font... but here are some ideas.

mtb_frk
05-07-2010, 03:47 PM
I have always liked orange/blue. I have it on my ss 29er with a fade that is sort of brown in between the colors.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=66923

vqdriver
05-07-2010, 04:38 PM
I have always liked orange/blue. I have it on my ss 29er with a fade that is sort of brown in between the colors.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=66923

don't know how i could ride that since i'm not a big gator fan.

mtb_frk
05-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Ha!

Volant
05-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Paint it all white with black panels. Then mask off the panels and get Dupli-colors wash-off paint and change your color as often as you want. The paint won't come off in the rain, but comes right off with soap and water.

Louis
05-08-2010, 01:15 AM
I had the same problem a few years ago. Here's what worked for me:

Call the various automotive paint supply shops around town and ask if they have color chip catalogs that you can either a) flip through, or b) buy. I found one place that sold me a PPG Radiance II catalog (I'm pretty sure it was less than $10) which was perfect because it had a nifty selection of various colors, but not so many that I was overwhelmed. I found something for my Waterford 2200 and I've been quite happy with the result.

Good Luck

Louis

Wilkinson4
05-08-2010, 11:31 AM
I like the Baltimore Orioles colors and that was my original color choice but I was also looking at a color combo like on this Ahearne.

www.ahearnecycles.com/pages/joshmuppetcross.html

Good work Bacon, I like 2, 9 and 10.

mIKE

stone56n
05-08-2010, 05:21 PM
I am having a serious case of paint paralysis as I attempt to select colors for a new build. It will be a Carl Strong dirt road bike that will probably be ridden 70% of the time on the road, but maybe more and more on dirt due to crazy drivers.

Anyway, I am openly soliciting suggestions here. Paint is from Spectrum Powder works so any color or combos from the RAL color charts.

Caveat, no red as main color. Looking for some color and a little unique but I'm pretty traditional. Panels are a solid option (Strong block pane).

I like color combos I have seen from Ahearne, MAP, and Vanilla.

mIKE

I Have been messing around with some micro holographic metal flake and rose pearl over a black base with a translucent cayane red. the results were spectular.

Wilkinson4
05-08-2010, 06:05 PM
That sounds really nice and I have a Bruce Gordon needing a repaint that will eventually be sent to K.Anderson. I'll have to keep that in mind!

The Strong will be powder coated by spectrum powder works.

Mike

TMB
05-08-2010, 06:30 PM
One of the most striking paint schemes I have seen in a long time is a bike ( I think a Peg ?) that was re-painted in what the owner called "triple chocolate"

An off-white / a light brown ( milk chocolate ) and a darker brown ( dark chocolate ).

I will se if I can pics of it but no doubt one of the good folks here will know the bike I'm thinking of.

I am going to use that, or a variation of it, the next time I have a bike painted.

cdn_bacon
05-10-2010, 08:12 AM
One of the most striking paint schemes I have seen in a long time is a bike ( I think a Peg ?) that was re-painted in what the owner called "triple chocolate"

An off-white / a light brown ( milk chocolate ) and a darker brown ( dark chocolate ).

I will se if I can pics of it but no doubt one of the good folks here will know the bike I'm thinking of.

I am going to use that, or a variation of it, the next time I have a bike painted.

I had that same paintjob on my old giant.
Cream at the head tube, mocha then to chocolate.
I'll give you a hint for my inspiration. But when it was cascading of course. I had time to wait for it to settle, so I painted my bike :)

Lionel
05-10-2010, 11:03 AM

This one, JB paint job.

TMB
05-10-2010, 11:06 AM
This one, JB paint job.

That is it right enough.

Damn that's beautiful.

Lionel
05-10-2010, 11:18 AM
That is it right enough.

Damn that's beautiful.

It is pretty cool indeed. I used that as inspiration for my Strong on the colors. And I used the Vanilla for the paint scheme.

Wilkinson4
05-10-2010, 07:44 PM
It is pretty cool indeed. I used that as inspiration for my Strong on the colors. And I used the Vanilla for the paint scheme.

Is the Vanilla yours too? That is sweet. Ok, I have selected paint colors and I am go to let Mark at Spectrum Powder work his magic. I used Zanc's website as inspiration. We will see how it comes out.

mIKE

Lionel
05-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Is the Vanilla yours too? That is sweet. Ok, I have selected paint colors and I am go to let Mark at Spectrum Powder work his magic. I used Zanc's website as inspiration. We will see how it comes out.

mIKE
Vanilla is not mine :mad: