PDA

View Full Version : F-1 fork weight??...circa '99 and other question?

CarlosContreros
03-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Does anyone know what the Serrota F-1 fork weight
is.....the 1999 model?

And.....I'm going to be buying a new Merckx MX Leader that
lists itself as having a 1" threadless fork....therefore you need
to get a threadless headset............
Could I use the threaded F-1 fork (1" I'm sure) on the Merckx
and just install a threaded headset??

I'm taking the F-1 off of a 62cm Col Al.....
and the Merckx is a 63. :cool:
Thanks!

CJH
03-27-2005, 04:14 PM
I have no idea what the F1 fork weighs but I'd guess about 550-600grams. But if you're getting the MX Leader just have the MX Leader fork threaded, since it's got a steel steerer tube that's a piece of cake for a machine shop! End result is matching fork + threaded quill setup = BEAUTIFUL! Good Luck...

victoryfactory
03-27-2005, 04:15 PM
Carlos;

My 2000 F1 weighs 680g (that's 24oz or 1.5lbs)
The steerer is cut for a 52cm frame. By comparison, an Ouzo Pro
saves you a couple hundred grams and rides smoother. (my opinion)
An F1 cut for your frame would be a little heavier.

You need to know the actual length of the head tube on the two frames
to be sure the fork will fit. If the new frame's HT is the same or shorter, no
problem. If the new frame has a longer HT that is a problem.
If the new HT is just a bit longer, it's possible to get a threaded headset
with a low stack height and get it to work.

IMHO, the F1 is over built, too heavy and has been eclipsed by every
other carbon fork including Serottas current models (which are made by Reynolds.)

If I were you, I'd go theadless. Unless you really want to stay with the
old tech for some esthetic reason.

VF, measure twice, cut once

CarlosContreros
03-27-2005, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=CJH]But if you're getting the MX Leader just have the MX Leader fork threaded, since it's got a steel steerer tube that's a piece of cake for a machine shop!

Is that possible?? :)
That would be great to be able to use the MX fork...all bladed!...
semi-sloping!....bicycle fork-on-steroids!!
I would rather use the Merckx..but I really like threaded so I can
use the quilled stems(for adjustability....and the Cinelli grammo for
looks!!).
I am still having "growing-pains" ..."retro-grouch".... when it comes to
the whole "threadless deal"(I know!!..this started about 10 years ago!..
I'm slow!!...K!!). :confused:
and keep in mind vf...while the F-1 is "portly"!! the Merckx fork is
around 600 grams as well! :confused:
And yes....the Col Al head-tube is taller than the Merckx head-tube
thereby making the current state of my fork steerer-tube longer
than the Merckx head-tube.
Thanks again!

chrisroph
03-27-2005, 05:39 PM
Carlos:

As mentioned above, the merckx should come with a steel fork with a rake spec to achieve the designed trail. If you want to swap it for an F1, make sure the rakes are the same or close; if they are substantially different, the bike may not ride right. If it were me, I would probably just use the merckx steel fork.

With that said, a threaded F1 is a great riding fork, one of the most stable and solid carbon forks ever made. I have one on my CSi and its ride is very steel like. Its weight is also very steel like; I don't think it saves much weight compared to an all steel fork.

The new 1" chorus and record headsets have upper and lower races that are the same for the threaded and unthreaded versions. What this means is that you can change between threaded and unthreaded forks without knocking either of the cups out of the headtube. This makes it very easy to swap between 1" threaded and unthreaded forks while using campy headsets. I've done it. Obviously, you will need to use different pieces on the top end, ie you will need to use the threaded nut to secure and adjust the bearings when you use the threaded fork.

I ran a carbon fork for a while on my spectrum steel. Recently, I reinstalled the original steel fork. Guess what? The bike is a littel heavier (only noticeable on the scale, not on the road) but I prefer the way the bike rides and handles with the steel fork. There is something special about the way a well engineered and built steel fork rides on a well engineered and built steel bike. Looking back, I never should have changed the fork on my spectrum.

However, one of the things I like to do is to ride/own/tinker with different bikes. If I had never undertaken my experiment, I would not have known to leave well enough alone. TK really knows how to make a great bike.

Have fun. I expect that you will love your MX. Eddy makes some great bikes and the MX is one of the classics. I love every Eddy I've ever owned, but I've never had an MX. At least, not yet.

Big Dan
03-27-2005, 05:46 PM
Carlos, that steel fork that comes with the MX is one great fork. At least give it a shot. In doing that you'll feel what Eddy wanted the bike to feel..... :D

I wouldn't put a carbon fork on my Corsa 01...........but that's just me... :cool:

CJH
03-27-2005, 07:07 PM
Hey Carlos!
Do yourself a favor and get the Merckx fork threaded! Any weight issues are highly over-rated, specially on a MX Leader, it dosen't make a difference (psycological not incl.) And if your maybe debateing wether the F1 feels steel-like, I guess then you've got your answer right there. Plus what's nicer than a pretty quill-setup, not threadless for sure (imho)... Best of luck and be sure to post some pics when you're done!

slowgoing
03-27-2005, 09:17 PM
The beefy fork on the MX leader is one smooth ride. I'd certainly give it a try before giving it the heave-ho.

Orin
03-27-2005, 10:34 PM
Just happened to have one lying around... 203mm steel steerer, 690g.

FWIW, a steel Serotta fork with similar length steerer was 700g.

Orin.

vaxn8r
03-28-2005, 01:37 AM
To me the stem thing is a non issue. Well, it does irk me a bit that there is so poor a selection of decent looking quill stems out there. Affordable ones at least, I know you can always get one custom made. Anyway, there is no way I'd put a CF fork on a Merkx MXL. Stem would be so far down on the list of reason to swap out that fork.

Keep the threadless fork and ride the MXL the way it was meant to be ridden.

sam.g
03-28-2005, 09:23 AM
Another data point.

The F1 from my 56 cm CSI weighed in at 643gm.

Sam

Keith A
03-02-2006, 04:28 PM
I just pulled the F1 off my Legend and thought I'd add my info to this thread. I also have several steel forks that I weighed for a comparison:

● F1 - 187mm steerer tube weighs 610 grams
● Serotta steel fork - 184mm, 638 grams
● '89 Paramount Columbus fork - 187mm, 678 grams
● Last generation Paramount steel fork - 192mm, 652 grams

SoCalSteve
03-02-2006, 05:18 PM
Carlos:
With that said, a threaded F1 is a great riding fork, one of the most stable and solid carbon forks ever made. I have one on my CSi and its ride is very steel like. Its weight is also very steel like; I don't think it saves much weight compared to an all steel fork.

I'll second that! I have an F1 (circa 1999) on my Hors Cat and it is a very stable fork!

Steve

Keith A
03-02-2006, 06:53 PM
I have (had) a F1 on both my CSi and my Legend and it is indeed a great handling fork. I just put an Ouzo Pro on my Legend just to give something else a try and lighten it up a little. I'll report back once I have a few miles on the new fork.

Fixed
03-02-2006, 06:55 PM
bro i had an f1 too i liked it but i like my steel fork better .i.m.h.o. cheers

Keith A
03-03-2006, 11:08 AM
bro i had an f1 too i liked it but i like my steel fork better .i.m.h.o. cheersSince there is very little difference in weight, I think I'm going to put the steel fork on the CSi and give it a try.

Big Dan
03-03-2006, 11:24 AM
K, I think you are going to be happy with the way the CSi rides with the steel fork...... :cool:

pjm
03-03-2006, 11:58 AM
'99 F1 w/ 8-3/4" of steerer tube is 1.4 lbs. on my UPS scale. Its doing temporary duty as a paperweight in my office right now, but it will be back in service soon.