PDA

View Full Version : Help: Improving “Core Strength” for Cycling

Louis
05-06-2010, 05:59 PM
A while back I decided to work on this and started to do some research on specific ways to improve my core strength. I went so far as to get a DVD and book about “core strength” but it was like getting a drink from a fire-hose. Too many exercises to chose from, which resulted in my doing nothing at all, except ride the bike.

Does anyone care to share a few simple, basic exercises (ideally two, maybe a max of four) that would help the typical non-racer enthusiast? It would be better if no extra hardware is required to do them, but if it's a trully a huge help to use "XYZ" to do something, I'm more than happy to go out and buy it (or build it myself), as long as it really works.

TIA
Louis

54ny77
05-06-2010, 06:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I990Wbr1JE&feature=related

try these, so very simple, and effective, they're part of my back rehab program.

if you've never done 'em, your body will be shaking something silly. it's comically embarrassing at first....but you'll get there. i do as many sets of front and sides as i can, holding for 30 seconds a pop.

dogdriver
05-06-2010, 06:07 PM
4 x 1 minute planks (on elbows and tows, straight torso) with 1 minute between sets. Start with shorter sets and work up if you need to. I do them while watching the Daily Show on the DVR in the AM and they're done before I even wake up...

mgm777
05-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Louis - I had shoulder surgery in November and have been going to Physical Therapy every since. My PT has has me lifting 2lb weights...one in each hand, thumbs up, arms straight, elbows locked, straight out to 90 degrees, parallel to the ground, 3 x 10 reps. Then repeat and do the same with arms at a 45 deg angle to the front of your body 3x10, then for the third exercise, hands go straight out to your sides (like you're trying to fly), 3x10. This sequence is known as Is, Ys, and Ts. The key is to be slow, methodical, and practice PERFECT form and engage your core. If you don't have little dumbells you can use big cans of soup or watter bottles. Remember...perfect form - it's harder than it sounds. I never did core workouts prior to surgery, but an unanticipated consequence of all this PT is that my core is much stronger now and I definitely feel the benefit when I ride my bike. A strong core will improve your cycling experience.

Wilkinson4
05-06-2010, 06:41 PM
I bought a power wheel 2 a few weeks back, and it has hit my core like no amount of bike kicks, leg raises or whatever has.

And it is bike themed since it has a wheel and pedals!!!

http://www.lifelineusa.com/en/products/power-wheel?section=all-products&gclid=CIi8ntjXvqECFQ9ZiAodWwxG-Q

mIKE

Louis
05-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks guys. This is good stuff.

Mike, when you get really good you might be able to ride that thing downhill like a unicycle. You just need a real tire for it and off you go. You could even do some MTB runs with it...

godfrey1112000
05-06-2010, 08:50 PM
I was stuck inside during the past winter, snow about every 3-6 days, so I tried something different this winter

P90X, it will work your core and everything else, the yoga disk will kick your ass, requires a few dumb bells and a mat
did the 90 days with the diet,
lost 30 pounds
noticibly faster and smoother power stroke

also did the Carmicheal hill climbing tapes twice a week, during the 90 day period

the P90X does take time but it works

I am now doing the second 90 days to get down to my college graduation weight from 33 years ago of 165

rugbysecondrow
05-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Dead lift...done properly your core will work.

Planks, palms up, elbows at 90 degree and butt tight, core engaged.

Turkish get-up...great exercise.

Super man

bigman
05-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Pushups with your feet on one of those rubberoversized balance balls.

rugbysecondrow
05-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Bigman is right.

If you can incorporate exercises that engage your core (push-ups, pull-ups, proper squats, dips) they will really give you a full body workout.

rounder
05-06-2010, 09:12 PM
I am not into any program. I walk up and down the escalator steps every day (150 steps in Bethesda), as do many others. I walk around at lunch time. At work, rather than calling extension numbers, i walk around to talk with fellow employees. On club rides, i descend slower than others in my group to avoid crashing, but i try to beat them all up the next hill.

bw77
05-07-2010, 05:48 AM
Swiss ball workout has really helped me. I recommend the Adam Ford dvd Abs and Core workout.

http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Ball-Abs-and-Core/dp/B000GALI6O/ref=pd_cp_d_0

Or check out his youtube videos.

toaster
05-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Turkish Get Up with 32 kg kettlebell.

rugbysecondrow
05-07-2010, 07:58 AM
Turkish Get Up with 32 kg kettlebell.

That will do it :)

achurch
05-07-2010, 08:19 AM
Find a local class with a good instructor. Start with mat classes, but be sure to try some ball classes. Go for 6 months--you will notice a huge difference. After 6 months, you will know what works for you and can either continue with classes or do the work on your own.

toaster
05-07-2010, 06:24 PM
May sound dumb or too simple but try putting socks, pants, and shoes on while standing on one leg. It's especially hard to tie those shoes while balancing one-legged and you'll appreciate how every day activities can be challenging if you are creative. Who needs time to train, just practice doing things purposely.

gasman
05-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Find a local class with a good instructor. Start with mat classes, but be sure to try some ball classes. Go for 6 months--you will notice a huge difference. After 6 months, you will know what works for you and can either continue with classes or do the work on your own.

I think most Pilates classes are a waste unless it's an advanced class. I did a group class with my wife for many months then stopped cuz it was too easy. Then I did some private mat classes-the instructor quickly ramped it up and it kicked my ass. I learned a lot of good exercises to incorporate at home after just a dozen individual lessons.

stone56n
05-08-2010, 05:35 PM
A while back I decided to work on this and started to do some research on specific ways to improve my core strength. I went so far as to get a DVD and book about “core strength” but it was like getting a drink from a fire-hose. Too many exercises to chose from, which resulted in my doing nothing at all, except ride the bike.

Does anyone care to share a few simple, basic exercises (ideally two, maybe a max of four) that would help the typical non-racer enthusiast? It would be better if no extra hardware is required to do them, but if it's a trully a huge help to use "XYZ" to do something, I'm more than happy to go out and buy it (or build it myself), as long as it really works.

TIA
Louis

Try getting a physio ball and a dvd on ball exersize. Beyond that you could try signing up for a Tai Chi Chuan class.