PDA

View Full Version : Silly question: Measuring BB height

veloduffer
05-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Today's silly question: When a framebuilder provides bike specs, does the bottom bracket height incorporate the height of a "typical" tire?

David Kirk
05-06-2010, 11:10 AM
I never spec 'height' but instead spec BB drop. This way the tire size doesn't figure in and you can compare apples to apples.

dave

veloduffer
05-06-2010, 12:31 PM
I never spec 'height' but instead spec BB drop. This way the tire size doesn't figure in and you can compare apples to apples.

dave

Why do bike companies use BB height rather than drop in the geometry charts? Is it easier for the consumer to understand? My thinking is that any buyer looking at bb height has more knowledge of what he/she is buying than the "average" consumer.

David Kirk
05-06-2010, 12:38 PM
IMO they think you are a dope and can't understand. At the same time they know you want a chart and that if you don't get one you'll complain.

It's the same reason they think (and apparently can!?) put the same rake fork on every size they make, regardless of the head angle, and lead you to believe that if you are small that you need/deserve 70 mm of trail.

It makes me angry to be treated like an idiot.

dave

nicrump
05-06-2010, 01:04 PM
BB height, a hard coded variable on some morons chart.

Ozz
05-06-2010, 01:49 PM

dave
I've always thought this made the most sense.... :beer: