PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone rockin' Yumeya chains?

WickedWheels
05-05-2010, 10:25 PM
I think this chain is going to be fantastic, so I just brought in a dozen for the shop, but I haven't read anyone's opinions after riding them.

oldpotatoe
05-06-2010, 07:55 AM
I think this chain is going to be fantastic, so I just brought in a dozen for the shop, but I haven't read anyone's opinions after riding them.

Perhaps but at $120 retail..not sure it's 'worth' it(personal choice, I know). I doubt it will be 4 times better than a 105 level 10s chain. A chain is a consumable, I kinda like 'least expensive compatible cogset and chain' idea.

WickedWheels
05-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Perhaps but at $120 retail..not sure it's 'worth' it(personal choice, I know). I doubt it will be 4 times better than a 105 level 10s chain. A chain is a consumable, I kinda like 'least expensive compatible cogset and chain' idea.

I completely disagree.

If we're doing the "105 math" we should figure out if Dura-Ace is 3x better than 105, or if Di2 is 5x better. Is a Pinarello Dogma with D-A 3x better than an Ultegra-equipped FP3? What about a Meivici vs anything else?

I understand the concept of a consumable, but a steak is a consumable as well. So is beer. How many of us are drinking PBR to save money over a microbrew.

Yumeya, simply put, is the absolute best chain that Shimano makes. Arguably, it's the very best chain on the market. In comparison to other Yumeya products it's a relatively inexpensive upgrade, and one that's supposed to have tangible benefits.

That being said... I guess no one is riding them yet. Does anyone want one? I have a dozen!

Louis
05-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Just another way to offer bling + a bit more performance for a bunch more money. Another price point.

Some folks will go for it, most won't.

JohnHemlock
05-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Yozo Shimano says "Yumeya is about us realizing perfection."

Since perfection is realized, we at least know we will never see a $121 chain!

dave thompson
05-06-2010, 11:20 PM
When asked why Yumeya, Mr Shimano replied; "Because we can!" Fictional of course, but true nonetheless. P.T. Barnum said it too.

05-07-2010, 12:55 AM
Practically speaking, it's twice the price of a Dura Ace 7900 or a KMC gold chain. The chain is refined quite a bit -- more chamfering on the plates, and they are very slightly bent to facilitate shifting. These are really very nice chains and do work measurably better than other chains in the $60 price range. I doubt they last longer, or if they do, will that be as important to the audience as better shifting? I think not. If you want a remarkable shifting change and have already spent on Nokon cables and that kind of upgrade, this is worthwhile. If you were debating whether to get a 105 or Ultegra group, it probably isn't.

Dave
05-07-2010, 08:09 AM

A DA7800 chain will elongate at about four times the rate of a cheap Campy Veloce chain, so Shimano chains can sure use some improvement.

Campy 10 chains all wear at about the same rate. The only difference is holes in the outer plates and hollow pins to reduce weight, with higher level chains. Campy doesn't downgrade materials on their lower model chains.

gdw
05-07-2010, 11:18 AM
105 level chains from all the manufacturers I've used shift perfectly and some last longer, lots longer, than Shimano's. Some are a little quieter than others but all work exceptionally well. What "improvements" can one expect from a $120 chain to justify the price.