PDA

View Full Version : New Frame, New Group

SneakyFast1
03-27-2005, 02:42 AM
I just joined the club by purchasing a used Concours frame from ebay. It is now in the garage waiting for a new group. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of places on the net for a Dura Ace 10 speed group (I've looked at Excel Sports and Colorado Cyclist). I am also looking for a compact crank, probably an FSA carbon model.

Thanks.

Douglas

Kane
03-27-2005, 04:20 AM
Gary Hobbs has a mail order store online. He sells frames and kits. His kits are a good value. My brother got a kit from him and he spent the extra $75 to have him build the bike.

His website address is gvhbikes.com. Good LUck

Dude
03-27-2005, 09:53 AM
Last I heard Gary Hobbs had passed away just recently, I don't know if his site is still running though.

I don't mean to start a debate here, but have you looked at your LBS? The price will be a bit more, but you will get sooo much more. There are other options than online.

Dave
03-27-2005, 10:21 AM
Sure you want over-priced Shimano? Campy offers more for the money, IMO. The absolute lowest prices on Shimano are overseas, clearly showing that Shimano is ripping off the US customer. European exchange rates are much worse than several years ago, but prices for Shimano parts are still cheaper overseas.

Also be sure you’re choosing a compact for the right reason. Unless a 39/27 shimano setup or a 39/29 campy doesn’t provide enough low gear, it rarely sense to use a compact. There have been a lot of reports of marginal front shifting with the compacts. Shimano 10 in particular, requires a special shimano compatible big ring to insure the best shifting if you get an FSA compact.

http://www.totalcycling.com/

http://txcyclesport.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=da-7800

http://txcyclesport.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=chorus

http://txcyclesport.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=record

hypnos
03-27-2005, 10:22 AM
There prices are very good. www.txcyclesport.com

Check ebay for FSA compact cranksets.

Jeff

Jeff N.
03-27-2005, 10:29 AM
I'd pass on the compact crank.If I were you I'd spec it with the new Ultegra-10. I not long ago, I STOLE a Griffen road frame off E-Bay for under 200 bucks( they go for $2500.00 new!)! It had an old, ugly chipped orange and blue paint job so I took the frame & fork to Joe Bell (the master)and had him put a gloss black paint job on 'em with all new white decals,($465.00) and got an entire(except for hubs, already had black CK hubs laced to CXP-33's) brand new Ultegra-10 group off E-Bay for under $700.00! Wonderful stuff, works just as sweet as DA-10! I wish I had the wherewithall to show you this bike. A real sweetie. I said,"Joe Bell....PIMP MY RIDE!" And he did! Anyway, I can HIGHLY recommend Ultegra-10. Go to E-Bay for ALL grouppo needs. You'll save hundreds. DA-10 is there too. Jeff N.

Kane
03-27-2005, 12:10 PM
I didn't know that Gary Hobbs was sick and I am sorry to hear that he died of Leukemia.

His associates are re-opening in April. Here are the dura-ace prices.

2005 Shimano DuraAce STI 10spd. $1795.
Included* in the Shimano bike kits are the following:*
1. the gruppo(derailleurs, STI levers, brake calipers, crankset, bottom bracket, cassette, chain and hubs)
2. hand built Mavic Open Pro clincher wheels; hand built Mavic Reflex tubular wheels are also available. Our regular spokes are 14g Wheelsmith stainless
3. Conti Grand Prix 3000 clincher or Conti Giro tubular tires
4. Deda Magic handlebar/stem or Cinelli Altera handlebar/Cinelli Groove stem
5. American Classic seatpost
6. Fizik Gobi titanium rail, black leather saddle
7. Cinelli cork handlebar wrap(black, white, red, yellow or blue)

*Ultegra 9spd STI kits come with a choice of Bontrager Race or Shimano WH-R550 wheels. At $899, and $925, these are absolutely great values on two of the best component groups ever made!**
Customer options:*
crankarm length
cassette ratio
handlebar width
stem length
tire width

Upgrades, deletions(we allow up to 2 deletions for each kit) and/or additions can almost always be accommodated.*Many popular upgrades are available at pass along costs; American Classic hubs; Conti Gatorskin or Attack/Force tires, Michelin ProRace tires, Thomson seatposts, Deda 215 handlebars, Deda Newton handlebars and stems, FSA carbon and carbon compact cranks, FSA handlebars/stems, Easton and Kestrel carbon bars, Chris King headsets, Velocity rims; Campy, Shimano, Bontrager, Easton Velomax, American Classic, FSA, Zipp, Gipiemme, Topolino and Mavic specialty wheels; most models of Terry, Fizik, Selle Italia and Selle San Marco saddles, double butted spokes, alloy nipples...and more; just ask!

Blastinbob
03-27-2005, 12:31 PM
They shop for you ..... (http://www.comparisonpricing.com/shimanoda1.htm)

djg
03-27-2005, 02:03 PM
Well, total cycling seems to be kicking butt on the group prices. FWIW, I've dealt with both total and texas cyclesport and I have been entirely satisfied by my dealings with both "shops."

I feel like it never hurts to ask for the LBS price. And personally, I'll always pay a bit of a premium for local dealings. But with the last two parts groups I bought the pricing was not close at all, and as I meant to (and did) build the bikes up in my own garage, the net dealers were fine with me. No duty (at least, not as of a year ago) on components, by the way.

SneakyFast1
03-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look into all the options.

Funny story about the LBS. I stopped by there yesterday to see what they had to offer and the salesperson suggested I buy from Excel or CC.

Douglas

Needs Help
03-27-2005, 11:24 PM
Go to E-Bay for ALL grouppo needs. How are e-bay merchants able to sell cheaper than authorized dealers?